Page 1 of 1

ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:14 pm
by ElCapitan
This is a kit I got from my brother last Christmas, and he keeps asking me if I've built it yet, so I've decided it's getting done now while I'm in the mood for an aircraft build.

Image

The detail of the kit looks very nice and fine - the engine detail looks awesome, though I will likely cover it up so it doesn't really matter! Nice rivet detail on the fuselage though. The only potential issue is that the moulding doesn't look so clever in places, so there will be some cleaning up required.

Image

Image

And I've made a start already. The kit comes with PE seatbelts which are nicely detailed, if a little thick.

Image


Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:11 pm
by ElCapitan
That's the cockpit and engine assemblies done. I'll prime them both, but only the cockpit will be visible.

Image

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:27 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Some lovely modelling going on here

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:11 pm
by Quax
some very tidy building there Rob :clap: :clap: . One question, does the kit allow you to display the engine without major surgery?

Paul

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:16 pm
by ElCapitan
Quax wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:11 pm some very tidy building there Rob :clap: :clap: . One question, does the kit allow you to display the engine without major surgery?

Paul
Thanks - yeah it's designed so the cowling can be on or off. I'm not really interested in having the engine on show though, so it'll be closed on mine.

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:36 pm
by ForeverPlasticKits
:th: A rare variant of this famous english fighter, :th: !

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:56 am
by ElCapitan
Now a moment of stupidity on my part...

I finished painting and weathering the cockpit, took some nice photos of it and then buttoned up the fuselage. Then I went to post the photos here and discovered that I must have accidentally deleted them completely. Therefore these rubbishy photos will need to do!

Image

Image

Image

On a positive note, the fuselage halves fit together really well, and I've reason to believe that the wings will fit nicely too.

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:24 pm
by BigWall
Sorry about the pictures. the cockpit look nice and it's all coming together nicely.

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:29 am
by ForeverPlasticKits
:jd: the Hurricane isn't my favorite WW2 fighter but when i see your built ... i'm ashamed because it is fabulous! :thumb2: :thumb2:

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:59 pm
by digger303
Very solid start going to be a nice addition to the front of the display cabinet. :th: :th: :cheers2:

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:32 am
by Parker
nice start there Rob.

:pop:

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:36 pm
by ElCapitan
Thanks everyone.

This looks like a Hurri now. The fit hasn't been amazing, especially around the cowling, but nothing a little putty can't fix (pending results of the primer test!)

Image

Image


Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:12 pm
by ForeverPlasticKits
Yes, it's a Hurricane but not in hurry! :nena: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:56 pm
by digger303
Yeah can see it needed a lot of attention from the putty department. I hope the canopy is a good fit.
Your doing well :th: :th: :cheers2:

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:31 pm
by ElCapitan
Over a year this has been sitting...this is becoming a bit of a habit!

I bought some paint masks for the camo scheme to try them out, as I'm sick and tired of using stupid blu-tac worms - they're just awful for getting a good line, and they move around on the model the whole time. These masks made such a big difference! Quite good fun to apply, and the lines are lovely. The photo doesn't show it very well, but there is no overspray at all and the edges are nice and crisp.

Image

Now I'm going to try some paint fading I think, and I'm also going to paint the yellow on the tail fin and leading edges of the wings. That'll be tomorrow if workload permits.

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:42 pm
by antonowski
Looking good! I've got a Spit MKVb in the backlog which I was thinking about making custom masks for.

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:11 pm
by digger303
Nice camo very sharp.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:00 pm
by Tomcat64
Nice work Rob - you're definitely on a mission to clear your shelf of doom at the moment :th:

Which masks did you use for this one?

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:08 pm
by ElCapitan
Tomcat64 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:00 pm Nice work Rob - you're definitely on a mission to clear your shelf of doom at the moment :th:

Which masks did you use for this one?
Yeah pretty much - I'm having to wait for a replacement canopy from Kinetic for my Harrier build (don't ask) so I decided to get on with this one in the meantime.

I got the masks from Hannants, the company is called AMI I think.

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:33 pm
by ElCapitan
Today I painted the yellow markings and the band around the fuselage. I was planning to fade the paint, but I'm not 100% sure on the best way to do it, so I didn't bother. Any tips welcome!

Image

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:19 am
by ElCapitan
over the last couple of days I've been working on the decals - using microset to get a good contact with the surface and then daco setting solution to bed them down. Daco is the only setting solution I ever use - from my experience the medium and strong versions blow all other solutions out of the water.

Image

Image

I'm so glad I painted the yellow - layering up the decals on the tail would have looked awful in comparison.

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:39 am
by aur0ra145
Looking good! I've never heard of Daco, I'll have to try them out.

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:15 pm
by Garion77
Nice job and beautiful paint job ! For Italeri kit it seems a pretty nice kit ! I fully agree with the blue tac !!! I was never able to do a good job with that. So made my own masks lately by copying the camouflage on paper. But I bought AK camouflage putty and camouflage masking paper and put does two to the test

Re: ElCapitan's Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:02 am
by ElCapitan
So, a bit of bad news right at the end. I got to my favourite part of removing the canopy masks and discovered two things - a) the instrument panel had come loose inside the cockpit, and b) something weird had happened to one of the canopy panes. I'm not sure how it's happened, as it didn't get anywhere near any glue, but that's what it looks like to me.

Image

Not much can be done about it unfortunately, but I did manage to get the canopy off without any collateral damage in order to reaffix the instrument panel.

The last thing to do was to use some stretchy rigging wire for the aerial and it was done. The finished photos are in a gallery here viewtopic.php?f=45&t=29865