Page 1 of 1

Trumpeter 1/25 '64 Ford Futura - Lowrider?

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:45 pm
by LWWales
Hi guys and gals! Now I've got another road bike done, I'm gonna try a road car again.

This kit, I'd never seen before, but spotted it in my LHS and had to have it! It's such a cool looking car.

Image

The kit is moulded well, though the chrome isn't great. I test fitted a lot of the body parts to check the fit and it's all pretty good!

Image

It sits real high on the wheels, so I decided to lower it. Then I decided the kit wire wheels, moulded solid, needed changing so I got some Fujimi 17's and decided I'll slam it!

Before:
Image

After:
Image

The bonnet is removable, but it lacked hinges. Old Ford's had hinges mounted to the side of the bay, but I couldn't make a 4 bar hinge system with my limited skills, so I made some standard hinges. This meant I needed to modify the firewall, but, I got them on and they work!

This is a video, click to see it work! :thumb1:



Since I decided to slam it and make a lowrider, I had to practice some paint techniques. The following was:

1. Ultimate Gloss Black primer
2. LP-70 Gloss Aluminum
3. Mask design
4. Super thin X-1 Black for the shadow
5. X-27? Clear Blue
6. Remove smaller masking tape.
7. A few more coats of clear blue.
8. Remove larger tape
9. A few more coats of clear blue.

Image

There's no clear coat yet, toying with using 2k for the first time though!

Thanks for looking in guys! 😃

Re: Trumpeter 1/25 '64 Ford Futura - Lowrider?

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:20 pm
by BigWall
Very cool!

Re: Trumpeter 1/25 '64 Ford Futura - Lowrider?

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:07 am
by BOABModels
I really look forward to seeing how that paint turns out. I've never built a Trumpeter kit. 🤔

Interesting that you found this at your LHS - I should find out some more in South Wales so that I can go to them when things are back to normal and I visit my inlaws in Cardiff.

Re: Trumpeter 1/25 '64 Ford Futura - Lowrider?

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:48 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Some great looking spoons mate, can't wait to see the paint on the model :th:

Re: Trumpeter 1/25 '64 Ford Futura - Lowrider?

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:03 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
OK very sweet
Looks so much better low with those mags on it :th:

Happy to see you doing this paint work on the Forum instead of FB where it just gets lost
We are doing similar projects as I have a Alcald chromed F40 that is about to get Clear Blue over her soon..when I get to it

Image

Re: Trumpeter 1/25 '64 Ford Futura - Lowrider?

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:09 pm
by LWWales
Sorry it's been a while! I underestimated how much time making videos would take again!

I've got this one all done now :banana:

I painted the interior two tone, using X3 and Ultimate White primer.
Image

Then I had to make a circuit for the wiring.
Image

To hide the switch, I scratch built a tissue box, and cut a hole in the parcel shelf and a hole in the bottom of the tissue box so it sits on top of the switch and slides back and fore to turn the lights on and off.
Image

Next up was painting the body and final assembly!

Here are the final photos of the build.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

I printed out a personalised number plate!
Image

Here's a few photos in the light
Image
Image
Image

It's all up on my YouTube channel www.YouTube.com/c/ScaleMotor

Thanks for taking a look and I hope you're all well! :thumb1:

Re: Trumpeter 1/25 '64 Ford Futura - Lowrider?

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:23 pm
by BigWall
So absolutely amazing!

Do you have any pictures of the body painting process?

Re: Trumpeter 1/25 '64 Ford Futura - Lowrider?

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:26 pm
by LWWales
BigWall wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:23 pm So absolutely amazing!

Do you have any pictures of the body painting process?
Thanks mate!

I realised my medication rattled brain forgot to upload the painting video and it has since been deleted :( I'll have a look for some photos, though I do have a video of how I did the effect :)

Re: Trumpeter 1/25 '64 Ford Futura - Lowrider?

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:31 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
My god did you finish this off right :banana: :banana: :banana:
Absolutely smoking!!!
Lights, paint, wheels, stance, details.... :clap: :clap: :clap:
Just awesome

Re: Trumpeter 1/25 '64 Ford Futura - Lowrider?

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:01 pm
by BigWall
LWWales wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:26 pm
BigWall wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:23 pm So absolutely amazing!

Do you have any pictures of the body painting process?

Thanks mate!

I realised my medication rattled brain forgot to upload the painting video and it has since been deleted :( I'll have a look for some photos, though I do have a video of how I did the effect :)
Bummer but no worries. I've watched the videos. I know I've said it various other places, but this came out absolutely amazingly! Very great work!

Re: Trumpeter 1/25 '64 Ford Futura - Lowrider?

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:56 pm
by Casper
:clap: 8-) bravo
Image
Image
Image

Re: Trumpeter 1/25 '64 Ford Futura - Lowrider?

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:23 am
by Kevthemodeller
Very nice mate, lights are very nice touch as are the tissue box and discs etc on the seat :clap: :clap: