Page 1 of 1

1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:58 am
by stoves
Finished this today. One month and 4 days to complete. Not perfect and I made some mistakes.

Image20210127_122810 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_122823 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_122834 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_122843 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_122907 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_122918 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_122932 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_122950 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_123001 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_123011 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_123022 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_123034 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_123049 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_123104 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_123110 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_123125 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_123133 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_123142 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_123208 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_123219 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_123234 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_123306 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_123319 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_123333 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_123622 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_123631 by Chris Stover, on Flickr
Image20210127_123640 by Chris Stover, on Flickr

Re: 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:20 am
by digger303
We all make mistakes I more than most , but this still looks really nice and the paint fading effects in the blue look spot on. For a aircraft that has been out in the weather. Well done.
:bow:: :bow:: :cheers2:

Re: 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:32 pm
by stoves
Thank you.

Re: 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:08 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Superbly detailed aircraft :banana: :banana: :banana:
That really displays well
Nice job :th:

Re: 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:59 pm
by stoves
Thank you.

Re: 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:59 pm
by BigWall
Very nice! I like the paint as well. It's huge! Looks like it was a fun build.

Re: 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:20 pm
by stoves
Thank you.

Re: 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:48 am
by DRUMS01
That looks really nice! How was the fit of the parts during the build?

You say there are mistakes, and I know a camera finds them all; well I really don't see any.... I think it looks great.

With all of the large scale models you build, where do you put them all? It must be a very, very large display case (smile)

Ben

Re: 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:58 am
by stoves
DRUMS01 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:48 am That looks really nice! How was the fit of the parts during the build?

You say there are mistakes, and I know a camera finds them all; well I really don't see any.... I think it looks great.

With all of the large scale models you build, where do you put them all? It must be a very, very large display case (smile)

Ben
Thank you. The kit has some fit issues. Quite a few with the engine. You can kind of see it in the pics. I didn't get the engine back far enough to get the panels to line up without big gaps. Quite a few of the parts in the kit were molded too big and required a lot of sanding and trimming to get them to fit properly. It's a nice kit with a lot of detail but the fit issues detract from the enjoyment of the kit.

Re: 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:02 am
by digger303
stoves wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:58 am
DRUMS01 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:48 am That looks really nice! How was the fit of the parts during the build?

You say there are mistakes, and I know a camera finds them all; well I really don't see any.... I think it looks great.

With all of the large scale models you build, where do you put them all? It must be a very, very large display case (smile)

Ben
Thank you. The kit has some fit issues. Quite a few with the engine. You can kind of see it in the pics. I didn't get the engine back far enough to get the panels to line up without big gaps. Quite a few of the parts in the kit were molded too big and required a lot of sanding and trimming to get them to fit properly. It's a nice kit with a lot of detail but the fit issues detract from the enjoyment of the kit.
Standard Airfix fare I'm afraid from what I hear. It still came out very well.
:th: :th: :cheers2:

Re: 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:43 am
by Kevthemodeller
digger303 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:02 am Standard Airfix fare I'm afraid from what I hear. It still came out very well.
:th: :th: :cheers2:
As digger says. Airfix is after all Airfix they do produce some really nice kits, but just lack the detailed fit some of the market leaders have. But add some great skill and you get a great looking kit, lovely build :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Re: 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:38 am
by stoves
Thank you. Yeah, this was my first airfix kit.

Re: 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:08 am
by aur0ra145
Really well done, the motor looks amazing!

Re: 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:15 am
by stoves
Thank you.

Re: 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:52 am
by Phillip1
stoves-This build looks really good! It is a big kit (which I like). The reviews I have read say it is high quality.

Phillip1

Re: 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:02 am
by stoves
Thank you.

Re: 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:57 am
by cor
Very nice. Thats a fast build. Lots of coffee I presume.

Re: 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:04 am
by stoves
cor wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:57 am Very nice. Thats a fast build. Lots of coffee I presume.
Thank you. I just tend to build fast. Lol