Page 1 of 1

Revell 1/48 P-61 Black Widow, "Midnight Mickey"

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:26 am
by Nikola
Hi gents,

I just realized that I posted this in the Work In Progress section some time ago, so here it is in the correct section. Not sure if it makes any difference...

It is what it is but she's finally RFI!
Almost a year since I've started the build. :)
It's been uphill all the way with this oldie (the molds are shot completely combined with my average modelling skills), but worth every effort in the end!
I am not satisfied with many aspects, but overall I am happy because I had a lot of fun and learned a lot.

She is OOB, except Uschi lines for the antennae and scratch build tarps for the first time.

As for the tarps, I used them to cover the problems with the fit between the very bad clear parts and the fuselage (a lot of miss-alignments and gaps), which I didn't want to be fixing forever, so they were more of a necessity than a preferred choice. I think that they are too wrinkly and not matte enough. Anyway, I learned something new so next time I will know better. :)

Comments and criticism are more than welcome.


Thanks for looking!


Best,
Nikola

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Re: Revell 1/48 P-61 Black Widow, "Midnight Mickey"

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:07 pm
by BigWall
I really like the paint job! A friend gave me one of these kits so I'll be building one at some point.

Re: Revell 1/48 P-61 Black Widow, "Midnight Mickey"

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:04 am
by aur0ra145
Really nice job!

Re: Revell 1/48 P-61 Black Widow, "Midnight Mickey"

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:12 pm
by Nikola
BigWall wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:07 pm I really like the paint job! A friend gave me one of these kits so I'll be building one at some point.
Thank you Joe! Appreciated!

Arm yourself with patience. :)
You will have fun for sure.

Best,
Nikola

Re: Revell 1/48 P-61 Black Widow, "Midnight Mickey"

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:14 pm
by Nikola
aur0ra145 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:04 am Really nice job!
Thank you Aurora! Very glad that you like the end result.

Best,
Nikola

Re: Revell 1/48 P-61 Black Widow, "Midnight Mickey"

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:43 am
by Kevthemodeller
Superb build mate :clap: :clap:

Re: Revell 1/48 P-61 Black Widow, "Midnight Mickey"

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:35 pm
by Casper
super build :clap: lovely paint work and the detailing around the engine is awesome. Tarps look great and the colour looks really good, I need to make some for a 1/25 build I'm doing but I too have never done one before, looks great
casper :clap:

Re: Revell 1/48 P-61 Black Widow, "Midnight Mickey"

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:08 pm
by Nikola
Kevthemodeller wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:43 am Superb build mate :clap: :clap:
Thank you Kev! Much appreciated!

Best,
Nikola

Re: Revell 1/48 P-61 Black Widow, "Midnight Mickey"

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:13 pm
by Nikola
Casper wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:35 pm super build :clap: lovely paint work and the detailing around the engine is awesome. Tarps look great and the colour looks really good, I need to make some for a 1/25 build I'm doing but I too have never done one before, looks great
casper :clap:
Thank you very much Casper! Very glad that you like it!

Besides being fun to make and adding more character to the model, the tarps were also a necessity because I just couldn't be bothered fixing steps and misalignments between the very bad clear parts and the fuselage.

1/25?! How big is that beast? :)
Odd scale too. Or did I misunderstand?

Best,
Nikola

Re: Revell 1/48 P-61 Black Widow, "Midnight Mickey"

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:20 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Love the model, absolutely gorgeous...had to loop back and re-read about the tarps
In the photos they are a smidge glossy for my eye, almost like they are made of packing tape :think:
IMHO, I would weather them a bit more and hit them with a flat coat

Re: Revell 1/48 P-61 Black Widow, "Midnight Mickey"

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:24 pm
by Casper
1/25?! How big is that beast? :)
Odd scale too. Or did I misunderstand?

Best,
Nikola
[/quote]

sorry, should have said its for a van and needs to be about 3"x2"
casp

Re: Revell 1/48 P-61 Black Widow, "Midnight Mickey"

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:57 pm
by Nikola
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:20 pm Love the model, absolutely gorgeous...had to loop back and re-read about the tarps
In the photos they are a smidge glossy for my eye, almost like they are made of packing tape :think:
IMHO, I would weather them a bit more and hit them with a flat coat
Hi TKNS,

Thank you very much! Appreciated!

As for the tarps, I agree completely. They are definitely too glossy (I admited it in one of the earlier posts :D) . I thought about fixing them but I just wanted to finish it since it took so long, but it was a bad decision and I should have used the momentum I had. When I get the will in between other builds I will try and fix them. For now, let's just say that it just rained or that they are plastic coated... :whistle:

Best,
Nikola

Re: Revell 1/48 P-61 Black Widow, "Midnight Mickey"

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:02 pm
by Nikola
Casper wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:24 pm
sorry, should have said its for a van and needs to be about 3"x2"
casp
Ah, gotcha.

This was also my first time making them. I used paper tissue, PVA and water.

Best,
Nikola