Page 1 of 1

An old Pocher Alfa Romeo

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:04 am
by Twokidsnosleep
I got this from eBay today
It is a 1/8 scale car about 20 inches long
Image

She is about as dirty a model as I have seen. Clearly been in the sun to fade the red out and left alone to decay
It was very well put together originally and someone cared about it. I think most of the major bits are here and she can return to previous glory. Thankfully no glue excesses or damage per se.

Image
But she is filthy, so I gloved and masked up and gave her a Cavicide wipe down🤢

One side of the cowling wiped down with disinfectant. Thank god no nicotine smells or stains...that grosses me out
Image



Image
ImageImageImageImage
Spoked threaded wheels have been done very well. A bit surface rust and in need of clean and polish, but well made
Image

ImageImage

It will be a huge project to take her apart and rebuild but she turns into a lovely car
Image
Image
Image

Re: An old Pocher Alfa Romeo

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:51 pm
by BigWall
Very neat! Good luck with her.

Re: An old Pocher Alfa Romeo

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:04 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
BigWall wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:51 pm Very neat! Good luck with her.
Someone suggested leaving her as a neglect car...I just cannot do that, way too OCD for messy stuff :shock:

Re: An old Pocher Alfa Romeo

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:50 am
by digger303
Beautiful car :clap: :clap:

Re: An old Pocher Alfa Romeo

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:22 pm
by Panzón
Brings back some memories! Back in 1976, I got the sports car version of the Pocher Alfa Romeo, and the 1910 Fiat racer when Pocher was going through a shake-up, and the kits were being dumped on the market through K-Mart at a ridiculously low price. I gave the Alfa kit away to a guy who was an Alfa freak, but I built the Fiat, and displayed it in my office at work. When I left my job, I gave it to a co-worker for his office. You can still find these kits on eBay, but they now cost $400-500.

Re: An old Pocher Alfa Romeo

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:21 pm
by BOABModels
Looks really special. I'm sure you will do a good job. 👍

Is it all metal BTW?

Re: An old Pocher Alfa Romeo

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:17 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
BOABModels wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:21 pm Looks really special. I'm sure you will do a good job. 👍

Is it all metal BTW?
Thanks
They are metal and plastic conglomeration

Re: An old Pocher Alfa Romeo

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:56 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Panzón wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:22 pm Brings back some memories! Back in 1976, I got the sports car version of the Pocher Alfa Romeo, and the 1910 Fiat racer when Pocher was going through a shake-up, and the kits were being dumped on the market through K-Mart at a ridiculously low price. I gave the Alfa kit away to a guy who was an Alfa freak, but I built the Fiat, and displayed it in my office at work. When I left my job, I gave it to a co-worker for his office. You can still find these kits on eBay, but they now cost $400-500.
Yes indeed the K Mart specials as Tyco sold out his holdings. Lucky if you got on that.
The Fiat eBays now at about $700USD +. The others are in the thousands easily
I got this for $500 and have an untouched boxed kit I could sell off in the future...that was my buying argument to my wife.
So this one is my project car and not touch the other one.

I really love the look of this beauty and the black rims would solve my rust issue
Image

Re: An old Pocher Alfa Romeo

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:55 pm
by BigWall
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:04 pm Someone suggested leaving her as a neglect car...I just cannot do that, way too OCD for messy stuff :shock:
That was my first thought given the natural weathering it has. Maybe a vignette called "The Barn Find." But it's just too beautiful a car to leave in that state.

Re: An old Pocher Alfa Romeo

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:57 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
BigWall wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:55 pm
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:04 pm Someone suggested leaving her as a neglect car...I just cannot do that, way too OCD for messy stuff :shock:
That was my first thought given the natural weathering it has. Maybe a vignette called "The Barn Find." But it's just too beautiful a car to leave in that state.
Ya I just cannot
I am not a fan of doing neglected anything, just my nature

Re: An old Pocher Alfa Romeo

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:12 pm
by BOABModels
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:56 pm I really love the look of this beauty and the black rims would solve my rust issue
Image
That looks gorgeous! 😲

It's funny to see the Ferrari Scudetto on an Alfa Romeo but I know it was because Enzo Ferrari raced Alfas first before setting up his own team and company.

Re: An old Pocher Alfa Romeo

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:17 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
BOABModels wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:12 pm
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:56 pm I really love the look of this beauty and the black rims would solve my rust issue
Image
That looks gorgeous! 😲

It's funny to see the Ferrari Scudetto on an Alfa Romeo but I know it was because Enzo Ferrari raced Alfas first before setting up his own team and company.
Yes
Now it is funny to see Alfa logos on an F1 car with Ferrari engines and technology in them
Total turnabout

Re: An old Pocher Alfa Romeo

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:37 pm
by Panzón
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:56 pm I really love the look of this beauty and the black rims would solve my rust issue
The painted rims definitely look sharp.

Re: An old Pocher Alfa Romeo

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:33 am
by NoelSmith
Two Kids No Sleep
Welcome to the wonderful world of old built up model kit restoration!
Have a look on Model Motorcars website. I think they have free downloadable Old Pocher kit instructions that may be of help to you.

Re: An old Pocher Alfa Romeo

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:02 am
by Casper
Now ya talking :mrgreen: 8-) :pop:
theses are stunning models when finished and a joy and pain to build....well jell :D
My good friend has I think three pochers ready for paint, hopefully I can persuade him to come show us his progress.
looks to be all there, are you missing a cam cover :think: first job a strip down?

Re: An old Pocher Alfa Romeo

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:05 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Casper wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:02 am Now ya talking :mrgreen: 8-) :pop:
theses are stunning models when finished and a joy and pain to build....well jell :D
My good friend has I think three pochers ready for paint, hopefully I can persuade him to come show us his progress.
looks to be all there, are you missing a cam cover :think: first job a strip down?
She is all there. I have the loose engine parts and other bits sorted into bags
This girl will stay like this for a while as my time is busy elsewhere. I am part way through revamping a 1/8 Testarossa and finishing the build someone else started. But it is a side project and not my main focus.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=26341

Re: An old Pocher Alfa Romeo

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:17 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
NoelSmith wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:33 am Two Kids No Sleep
Welcome to the wonderful world of old built up model kit restoration!
Have a look on Model Motorcars website. I think they have free downloadable Old Pocher kit instructions that may be of help to you.
Hi Noel, yes I have drooled over their website, parts and completed builds
That is a great website.
Thanks for posting :D

Re: An old Pocher Alfa Romeo

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:37 am
by NoelSmith
Thanks for coming back Scott. The Scalemotorcars website is also a good one. I expect that you look at that one regularly as well as Model Motorcars. They seem to be the best two sites for Pocher modellers to look at. Model Motorcars as you know are virtually devoted to Pocher builds. Scalemotorcars has a lot of in depth scratch builds as well as the Pocher contributions with some really inspirational techniques shared by great modellers.

I visited your neck of the woods a few years back and had a round trip coach tour out of Vancouver into the Rockies to Banff and doing the inland passage across to Vancouver Island and down to Victoria. You certainly live in a very nice part of the world. Apart from the scenic splendour I thought that both Vancouver at Victoria were both impressive cities. My other trip to Canada was on a cruise from Boston taking in the Easter seaboard up to Halifax and up the St Lawrence to Quebec city. Montreal and Toronto still await to be visited. All in all I really enjoyed my experiences of Canada. Doing the Canadian Pacific is on by bucket list and maybe the Rocky Mountaineer!

Re: An old Pocher Alfa Romeo

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:22 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
NoelSmith wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:37 am Thanks for coming back Scott. The Scalemotorcars website is also a good one. I expect that you look at that one regularly as well as Model Motorcars. They seem to be the best two sites for Pocher modellers to look at. Model Motorcars as you know are virtually devoted to Pocher builds. Scalemotorcars has a lot of in depth scratch builds as well as the Pocher contributions with some really inspirational techniques shared by great modellers.

I visited your neck of the woods a few years back and had a round trip coach tour out of Vancouver into the Rockies to Banff and doing the inland passage across to Vancouver Island and down to Victoria. You certainly live in a very nice part of the world. Apart from the scenic splendour I thought that both Vancouver at Victoria were both impressive cities. My other trip to Canada was on a cruise from Boston taking in the Easter seaboard up to Halifax and up the St Lawrence to Quebec city. Montreal and Toronto still await to be visited. All in all I really enjoyed my experiences of Canada. Doing the Canadian Pacific is on by bucket list and maybe the Rocky Mountaineer!
Ah excellent
I haven’t been to scalemotorcars for a bit...it is a very slow website forum and not a lot of traffic. Kinda like here :lol: :drool:

You have probably seen more of Canada than I have :shock:
I am very spoilt living here. We are in the first suburb out of Vancouver and have relatives in Victoria and the interior of BC
I would love to do the train through the Rockies ...probably a retirement goal

Re: An old Pocher Alfa Romeo

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:28 am
by NoelSmith
Hi Scott. When I visited Vancouver it was for two stop overs at the beginning and end of the coach tour, so we got to do a bit of exploring the city on foot for a day before returning home. We were staying at the Empire Landmark Hotel towards the bottom end of Robson Street. To round off our stay we had dinner in the Cloud Nine rotating restaurant at the top of the building. What fantastic views! Our coach driver happened to be an English man who emigrated to Canada many years ago, and told us that he lived in a suburb of Vancouver named Surrey.
I wish you well with the Pocher Alfa Romeo restoration. Those old Pochers need quite a bit of work! I have the remnants of one of their original Rolls Royce kits that is basically a rolling chassis as would have been supplied to a coachbuilder. So I will have my work cut out if I decide to build it. I have seen some pictures of Rolls Royces with polished wood body work that look really interesting. Let's see.
All the best. Noel