Page 1 of 1
Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:17 am
by MrBowcat
Morning guys,
I managed to damage a decal last night, got a bit too heavy handed with the Ultimate set solutions.
I'm considering my options, so far I have:
1: Leave it alone and call it a learning experience.
2: Try and infill with white paint.
3: Throw some black wash over it to try and hide it.
4: 2 and 3 together.
I thought I would ask for some advice to see what option you guys would go for, or if there are other options I haven't considered.
Cheers,
B
Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:20 am
by digger303
Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:43 am
by MrBowcat
Cheers Digger.

Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:57 am
by bfrd
I would paint it. White should be easy to match. I think the black panel liner might make it worse. Or you could make it more pronounced and try to pass it off as a rally accident?!?
Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:18 am
by Casper
That's a real shame, only small but could get worst

Looks like you had a bubble in the seam, I had a similar problem on a bike faring I did also in white. Difficult because its sitting on top of panel line work
The trouble with the split is it will probably continue over time (mine did) I dropped some thinned white into the split and let it settle, Looked sort of ok at first but when you know you know and its so frustrating. Not sure if micro sol would soften it up enough to remove it without disturbing the panel lines underneath. I think the masking tape method it good but not in your case, it would probably cause more damage...tough call mate, lovely build
casper
Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:25 am
by MrBowcat
Thanks for the replies gents.
Thinking about it more I might finish the rest of the decals and put a gloss coat over, hopefully this will prevent the split getting worse. There are a couple of white decals I won't be using (for the other driver version) so I'm contemplating trying to patch it with another decal first, if that doesn't work I might try the paint.
Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:34 am
by Casper
maybe a small sponsor decal or some sort of small logo decal would fix it and you wouldn't even know its there, It would also stop further cracking
Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:12 pm
by MrBowcat
Cheers Casper. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of patching it with another decal. There is still a large number 8 to go on, but it would only partially cover the damaged area.
Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:40 pm
by Gary30
Personally I would try and touch it up with white paint, then put the '8' decal on and then clear coat, but patching over it with another white decal could also work quite well if you can get the edges of the new decal to be as inconspicuous as possible.
Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:56 pm
by MrBowcat
Cheers Gary.
I tried the decal approach on my lunch break (the joys of working from home) but it didn't really work too well, so I am resigned to painting. I'm going to finish the rest of the decals and clear coat first as I'm worried I might pull the decal up with masking tape.
Thanks for all the input gents.

Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:13 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
I am in the paint it and use a number that covers it up.
Taking it off...risks other decals and paint
Might have been a sharp panel line edge that tore it
Have many kits with small bits that needed some paint touch ups, both body paint and decals
It happens
Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:42 pm
by MrBowcat
Cheers Scott.
I've added some thinned LP2 which seems a perfect match, might need to give it another go over later but so far, so good.
Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:39 am
by MrBowcat
Thanks for all the advice gents, it's not perfect but I think I got away with it.

Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:08 am
by digger303
Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:15 pm
by BigWall
Nice save!
Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:53 pm
by Gary30
Yep, blast over that with clear now and the tear will be ancient history.
Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:22 pm
by MrBowcat
Cheers guys.

Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:48 pm
by Casper
good job

worked a treat, you cant tell.
casper

Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:54 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
MrBowcat wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:39 am
Thanks for all the advice gents, it's not perfect but I think I got away with it.
torn decal??
What torn decal??
Excellent save

Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:15 pm
by Stokesy44
Painting it white has got to be the best option. Brush it on in thin coats till it builds opacity and it'll look fine.
Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:04 am
by MrBowcat
Cheers gents.

Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:35 am
by RangerNeil
Looks good to me - I cannot see the damage any more. Well done!!

Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:06 pm
by Tomcat64
Bit late to this party but that's a cracking save - great job mate

Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:05 pm
by Stokesy44
Cracking save. Looks great to me

Re: Damaged decal - what do I do?
Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:28 pm
by MrBowcat
Cheers guys.
