A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

Moderator: T3hGuppy

Parker
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
Location: Melbourne
Australia

A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

Post by Parker »

YOUR TANKS NEED AIR SUPPORT! (again)

Entering the fray…. my A-7E Corsair II

It says ‘Desert Storm’ on the wings!

Trying to get my mojo back.

Image

Image

-P
Last edited by Parker on Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

Image
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

Post by Kevthemodeller »

Oh I love an A7 :th: :pop: :cheers2:
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

Post by BigWall »

One of my favorite planes!
Joe

Image
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

Post by digger303 »

:th: :th: :cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
smokeriderdon
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 827
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:18 pm
United States of America

Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

Post by smokeriderdon »

OH!!!! Nice choice!!!! Its last hurrah!
Image
User avatar
RangerNeil
Major
Major
Posts: 4745
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
Location: Dagenham
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

Post by RangerNeil »

Nice choice - I liked the Corsair and the Crusader, being old enough to remember them at Farnborough and Greenham Common. Unusual paint and markings for a Corsair - I look forwards to seeing how the build goes and how the beast turns out! :) :)
    Neil (yet another one...)

    On the board now:

    Airfix 1/35 Alvis Stalwart Mk2 FV622
    Hasegawa 1/48 A8 Crusader

    Scalemates stash info
    =58417&fkSTASHSTATUS[]=58417-Stash&page=stash]Scalemates Stash manager
    matto21
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant
    Posts: 191
    Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:52 pm
    Wales

    Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

    Post by matto21 »

    I also love an A-7!

    Not familiar with this kit, is it relatively new? Recessed panel lines etc?

    Matt
    Parker
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant
    Posts: 550
    Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
    Location: Melbourne
    Australia

    Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

    Post by Parker »

    matto21 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:40 pm I also love an A-7!

    Not familiar with this kit, is it relatively new? Recessed panel lines etc?

    Matt

    Hi Matt. Its a rebox > https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri ... i--1274658
    And no, not recessed panel lines.
    On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

    Image
    Parker
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant
    Posts: 550
    Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
    Location: Melbourne
    Australia

    Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

    Post by Parker »

    And so it begins.

    Initial thoughts.

    The sprues are not as well manufactured as previous models I’ve done this past year or so. Very difficult at times to distinguish the part number, the sprue itself is very over engineered, very thick and lacking finesse and in other sections very flimsy (several parts have popped off whilst handling the sprue).

    The instruction booklet is basically 4 or 5 pages so it’s a fairly simple construction. As an example, the front landing gear (pictured below) is one part. On my more recent models this element has consisted of 5 or 6 parts. Take that as you will, yes, this is far less difficult, but then, it kind of takes the ‘fun’ out of the construction.

    As indicated in the post above to Matt. The panel lines are not recessed, they’re raised. So we’ll see how that fun fact translates to my brush painting. I foresee problems.

    The decal sheet is very comprehensive as this kit allows for 4 variations.

    So, onto the construction. Quite easy so far, no fit problems with the cockpit and a quick dry fit test seems to be OK for the fuselage. Oddly (well perhaps not odd as I have limited experience) each half of the fuselage is in two parts. With a bit of sanding to remove flash and thick sprue connections its OK, but seems unnecessary that they decided to manufacture four parts when two would’ve been far easier.

    Cockpit now painted and somewhat weathered (more to be completed before being masked up). Next up will be getting the fuselage elements glued.

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    ^^^
    Little bit of work required to make the fuselage join less prominent, but that's for another evening.


    Cheers all.
    -P
    On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

    Image
    Parker
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant
    Posts: 550
    Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
    Location: Melbourne
    Australia

    Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

    Post by Parker »

    Fuselage assembly went ok. Not the greatest of fit so I may give the putty a crack. Noticed an odd part of the kit. A random panel element on the top of the fuselage that needs to be glued. Not really sure what purpose it serves. Research will be required.

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image


    This kit gives you the option of flat OR folded wing. Currently I’m unsure which way I’ll go with it. Folded will certainly add a bit of difference to my growing collection, however it may be a bit of a pain to paint. Wing decision pending.

    Image

    I then realised whilst constructing the wings that I’d stuffed up and glued the wrong wing elements together. It got messy.

    Image

    Cheers all.
    -P
    On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

    Image
    Parker
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant
    Posts: 550
    Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
    Location: Melbourne
    Australia

    Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

    Post by Parker »

    Wing decision still pending.
    Currently leaning toward folded*.

    Dry fit test.

    Image

    Image








    *subject to mood.

    Cheers all.
    -P
    On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

    Image
    BigWall
    Chief Warrant Officer 5
    Chief Warrant Officer 5
    Posts: 2961
    Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
    Location: Denver, Colorado
    United States of America

    Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

    Post by BigWall »

    I think I lean towards folded as well but either would look good.
    Joe

    Image
    User avatar
    RangerNeil
    Major
    Major
    Posts: 4745
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
    Location: Dagenham
    Contact:
    Great Britain

    Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

    Post by RangerNeil »

    Folded would be different - and take less space on the display shelf. :) I think I would go that way - but as BigWall says - either will look good. :)
      Neil (yet another one...)

      On the board now:

      Airfix 1/35 Alvis Stalwart Mk2 FV622
      Hasegawa 1/48 A8 Crusader

      Scalemates stash info
      =58417&fkSTASHSTATUS[]=58417-Stash&page=stash]Scalemates Stash manager
      Parker
      First Sergeant
      First Sergeant
      Posts: 550
      Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
      Location: Melbourne
      Australia

      Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

      Post by Parker »

      UPDATE: Wing decision made.

      UP!

      Bit of fiddling as the fit isn’t great on the parts, but it’s glued now, so onwards & upwards.

      Image


      Hopefully I’ll get more time this weekend to make a bit more progress.

      Stay safe everyone.

      -P
      On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

      Image
      User avatar
      Tomcat64
      Brigadier General
      Brigadier General
      Posts: 7188
      Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 pm
      Location: Swindon, UK
      England

      Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

      Post by Tomcat64 »

      Nice to see this taking shape - I like the idea of the folded wings as well, just adds a bit more interest and as the other Neil said it saves space on the hangar deck :)
      Cheers, Neil

      On the Bench:
      Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon - stalled due to stupidity
      Tamiya 1/35 Stegosaurus Stenops
      Tamiya 1/35 Sherman Firefly VC
      User avatar
      digger303
      General
      General
      Posts: 16667
      Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
      Location: Western Australia
      Australia

      Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

      Post by digger303 »

      Tomcat64 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:28 pm Nice to see this taking shape - I like the idea of the folded wings as well, just adds a bit more interest and as the other Neil said it saves space on the hangar deck :)
      Going to be awkward handing her though with potential to break the tips off not to mention decaling. I guess a handle up the intake will fix one problem....decals though I dunno. I'll wait and see how you tackle it.
      :th: :th: :th:
      :cheers2:
      Listen and appear wise
      Image
      Image

      scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
      Image
      Parker
      First Sergeant
      First Sergeant
      Posts: 550
      Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
      Location: Melbourne
      Australia

      Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

      Post by Parker »

      Oh, I have absolutely no doubt that I’ll at some point snap the wing tips off!

      I’ve already mentally prepared for that.

      But, I’ll try not to.

      Awkward handling I’m prepared for. I think.
      My concern is the fact that this paint job is not an in service paint job.
      It’s a promotional PR stunt by the USAF. This paint scheme is camo to the underside as well.

      Thanks for looking in.

      -P
      On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

      Image
      Parker
      First Sergeant
      First Sergeant
      Posts: 550
      Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
      Location: Melbourne
      Australia

      Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

      Post by Parker »

      Other pics...

      Image

      Image

      Image
      On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

      Image
      Parker
      First Sergeant
      First Sergeant
      Posts: 550
      Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
      Location: Melbourne
      Australia

      Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

      Post by Parker »

      Camo paint...

      Image

      And whilst purchasing paint....

      Image

      -P
      On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

      Image
      User avatar
      digger303
      General
      General
      Posts: 16667
      Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
      Location: Western Australia
      Australia

      Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

      Post by digger303 »

      Parker wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:21 am Camo paint...

      Image

      And whilst purchasing paint....

      Image

      -P
      You know I thought I saw their promo.......Buy 2 pots of Tamiya and we'll let you buy a Spitfire too...... :lol: :lol:
      Listen and appear wise
      Image
      Image

      scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
      Image
      Parker
      First Sergeant
      First Sergeant
      Posts: 550
      Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
      Location: Melbourne
      Australia

      Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

      Post by Parker »

      Ha!

      Tbh, I nearly bought a B-17!
      On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

      Image
      BigWall
      Chief Warrant Officer 5
      Chief Warrant Officer 5
      Posts: 2961
      Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
      Location: Denver, Colorado
      United States of America

      Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

      Post by BigWall »

      Nice Spitfire and I'm looking forward to seeing you paint this.

      Your post just brought back a memory. When we had a house painting business, one of our customers had been an A-7 pilot. He had become a commercial pilot when he left the military and then a private contractor to airlines when he retired from that. Well, it seems that a certain country had been banned from making international flights until their pilots could be trained that it wasn't being disrespectful for the co-pilot to tell the pilot that he noticed he had done something wrong, such as the landing gear not being extended when they were coming in for a landing (that had been the final straw. There had obviously been many other incidents leading up to them being banned). He had been working with them for quite some time and was making a fortune. It looks like that country now makes international flights but I don't think I'll ever fly with them.
      Joe

      Image
      Parker
      First Sergeant
      First Sergeant
      Posts: 550
      Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
      Location: Melbourne
      Australia

      Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

      Post by Parker »

      Name and shame, Joe!
      On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

      Image
      BigWall
      Chief Warrant Officer 5
      Chief Warrant Officer 5
      Posts: 2961
      Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
      Location: Denver, Colorado
      United States of America

      Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

      Post by BigWall »

      Starts with a K, Has a north and south. Isn't Kazakhstan, Kenya. Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan or North Korea.
      Joe

      Image
      Parker
      First Sergeant
      First Sergeant
      Posts: 550
      Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
      Location: Melbourne
      Australia

      Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

      Post by Parker »

      And the wings are on.

      I think I’ve made the right decision (until I curse the decision when I inevitably knock one or both of the wing tips off with my sausage fingers). Wings up will add a point of difference in the display cabinet.

      Also still debating what load out to give the A7. Several options available. Load out TBA.

      Pics.

      Image

      Image

      Image


      I’ll make a start on the paint soon.

      - P
      On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

      Image
      Parker
      First Sergeant
      First Sergeant
      Posts: 550
      Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
      Location: Melbourne
      Australia

      Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

      Post by Parker »

      A quick question for the good folks here on ISM….

      Having never done this type of camo paint, is it better to put the light colour down first? Or the darker? I’m guessing lighter? But any advice greatly appreciated.

      Bearing in mind I brush paint. If that makes a difference.

      -P
      On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

      Image
      Parker
      First Sergeant
      First Sergeant
      Posts: 550
      Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
      Location: Melbourne
      Australia

      Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

      Post by Parker »

      BigWall wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:49 am Starts with a K, Has a north and south. Isn't Kazakhstan, Kenya. Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan or North Korea.
      :th:
      On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

      Image
      User avatar
      Tomcat64
      Brigadier General
      Brigadier General
      Posts: 7188
      Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 pm
      Location: Swindon, UK
      England

      Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

      Post by Tomcat64 »

      Parker wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:05 am Having never done this type of camo paint, is it better to put the light colour down first? Or the darker? I’m guessing lighter? But any advice greatly appreciated.
      Yep as a general rule of thumb work from lighter to darker whenever possible.

      If you do end up in a situation where you need to put a lighter colour over a darker one it can sometimes help to relay a thin coat of primer before applying the light colour.
      Cheers, Neil

      On the Bench:
      Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon - stalled due to stupidity
      Tamiya 1/35 Stegosaurus Stenops
      Tamiya 1/35 Sherman Firefly VC
      Parker
      First Sergeant
      First Sergeant
      Posts: 550
      Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
      Location: Melbourne
      Australia

      Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

      Post by Parker »

      Thanks Neil.
      On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

      Image
      User avatar
      RangerNeil
      Major
      Major
      Posts: 4745
      Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
      Location: Dagenham
      Contact:
      Great Britain

      Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

      Post by RangerNeil »

      BigWall wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:49 am Starts with a K, Has a north and south. Isn't Kazakhstan, Kenya. Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan or North Korea.
      Surely not South Korea?? 😂😂

      Back to being serious - I like the wings folded look. Its different. Looking forwards to seeing the finished version.
        Neil (yet another one...)

        On the board now:

        Airfix 1/35 Alvis Stalwart Mk2 FV622
        Hasegawa 1/48 A8 Crusader

        Scalemates stash info
        =58417&fkSTASHSTATUS[]=58417-Stash&page=stash]Scalemates Stash manager
        BigWall
        Chief Warrant Officer 5
        Chief Warrant Officer 5
        Posts: 2961
        Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
        Location: Denver, Colorado
        United States of America

        Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

        Post by BigWall »

        RangerNeil wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:52 pm Surely not South Korea?? 😂😂
        Damn! Got it on the first guess! I thought I was being so clever. LOL!

        I really like the folded wings as well Parker.
        Joe

        Image
        Parker
        First Sergeant
        First Sergeant
        Posts: 550
        Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
        Location: Melbourne
        Australia

        Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

        Post by Parker »

        First coat.
        As predicted, a little bit tricky to paint, but so far, I haven’t broken wing tips off!

        Image

        Image

        Obviously, the large rear tail is my holding position at the moment.

        Thanks for looking in.

        -P
        On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

        Image
        BigWall
        Chief Warrant Officer 5
        Chief Warrant Officer 5
        Posts: 2961
        Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
        Location: Denver, Colorado
        United States of America

        Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

        Post by BigWall »

        Let me guess, you're running around holding it like a gun, going pew, pew, pew.

        It's coming along nicely. The folded wings are really going to add to this model.
        Joe

        Image
        Parker
        First Sergeant
        First Sergeant
        Posts: 550
        Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
        Location: Melbourne
        Australia

        Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

        Post by Parker »

        I had a dilemma.

        The underside of this particular A7 is camo, which to my novice understanding makes zero sense.
        But, reading a little more about this Desert Storm paint job.

        …this paint scheme represents the CAG aircraft from VA-72 on board the USS John F Kennedy. This aircraft was painted in the "Desert Storm" special scheme on the cruise home after ODS, not only to commemorate the Coalition's victory but also VA-72's last cruise with the A-7E, and possibly their last deployment as well.

        I don’t like it. So I’m going to go rouge. The underside will be light grey.
        Apologies to the purists, it just bothers me.

        Masking time.

        Image

        Image

        Cheers all.
        -P
        On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

        Image
        User avatar
        Tomcat64
        Brigadier General
        Brigadier General
        Posts: 7188
        Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 pm
        Location: Swindon, UK
        England

        Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

        Post by Tomcat64 »

        Definitely a case of "it's your kit so build/paint it as you want to" :)

        Wraparound camo can be really tricky too so your approach makes complete sense mate.
        Cheers, Neil

        On the Bench:
        Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon - stalled due to stupidity
        Tamiya 1/35 Stegosaurus Stenops
        Tamiya 1/35 Sherman Firefly VC
        Parker
        First Sergeant
        First Sergeant
        Posts: 550
        Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
        Location: Melbourne
        Australia

        Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

        Post by Parker »

        Thanks Neil.
        Wraparound camo seems odd.
        Unless of course you’re hiding your planes upside down in the desert.
        On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

        Image
        Parker
        First Sergeant
        First Sergeant
        Posts: 550
        Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
        Location: Melbourne
        Australia

        Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

        Post by Parker »

        I’ll still be doing the camo on the top.
        On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

        Image
        smokeriderdon
        Command Sergeant Major
        Command Sergeant Major
        Posts: 827
        Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:18 pm
        United States of America

        Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

        Post by smokeriderdon »

        OK, so perhaps I missed it. Why did you choose to attach the wing tips before you painted? I mean if they were flat, yeah. But folded like that? To me that would make it harder.
        Image
        Parker
        First Sergeant
        First Sergeant
        Posts: 550
        Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
        Location: Melbourne
        Australia

        Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

        Post by Parker »

        Fair question Smoker.

        I guess I could’ve glued them afterwards. Would’ve certainly eliminated the sausage finger danger!

        My method so far…

        Glued the wing tips to the larger wing element then set them in a jig so they would set on the correct 90 degree angle. I let them sit for several days. The two wing components don’t fit together perfectly, in fact the contact points of the two elements are far from ideal. I did my best by sanding and shaving, but its not great. Once set I then glued them to the fuselage.

        I think if I’d painted the wing tips, then glued them, the contact would’ve been worse.
        Also, I would almost certainly have stuffed up the painting of the camo across two separate not-yet-connected parts.

        Good question though. TBH I hadn’t considered attaching them after painting.

        -P
        On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

        Image
        Parker
        First Sergeant
        First Sergeant
        Posts: 550
        Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
        Location: Melbourne
        Australia

        Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

        Post by Parker »

        Image

        Image

        Image

        More painting this evening.

        -P
        On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

        Image
        ForeverPlasticKits
        Command Sergeant Major
        Command Sergeant Major
        Posts: 895
        Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:45 pm
        Location: France
        France

        Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

        Post by ForeverPlasticKits »

        :th: :thumb2:
        User avatar
        digger303
        General
        General
        Posts: 16667
        Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
        Location: Western Australia
        Australia

        Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

        Post by digger303 »

        Coming along nicely.
        :th: :th: :th:
        :cheers2:
        Listen and appear wise
        Image
        Image

        scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
        Image
        BigWall
        Chief Warrant Officer 5
        Chief Warrant Officer 5
        Posts: 2961
        Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
        Location: Denver, Colorado
        United States of America

        Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

        Post by BigWall »

        Looking good Parker!
        Joe

        Image
        smokeriderdon
        Command Sergeant Major
        Command Sergeant Major
        Posts: 827
        Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:18 pm
        United States of America

        Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

        Post by smokeriderdon »

        I have never done one with the wings folded, so I am simply thinking out loud here. My thought would be to temporarily secure them in the down position with something like clay. Do the painting then detach, clean up and glue them folded. That way the camo pattern would line up correctly. Not sure if that would work, but its a thought. Though that doesnt address the issue with the contact points.

        Regardless, looking good! :)
        Image
        Parker
        First Sergeant
        First Sergeant
        Posts: 550
        Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
        Location: Melbourne
        Australia

        Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

        Post by Parker »

        smokeriderdon wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:07 am .... temporarily secure them in the down position with something like clay.
        I'm not MacGyver! :bow::
        On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

        Image
        Parker
        First Sergeant
        First Sergeant
        Posts: 550
        Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
        Location: Melbourne
        Australia

        Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

        Post by Parker »

        This is where I'm at.

        Image

        Image

        Darker camo will... (assuming my little dude goes to sleep on schedule, although as a self aware 4 year old, schedules apparently mean nothing and he'll decide what time is appropriate for sleeping, and also decide if hot wheels monster trucks are required in his bed, or perhaps Mr Men books... honestly, each night is a lottery!)... be painted on tonight.

        -P
        On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

        Image
        BigWall
        Chief Warrant Officer 5
        Chief Warrant Officer 5
        Posts: 2961
        Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
        Location: Denver, Colorado
        United States of America

        Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

        Post by BigWall »

        The camo is going to look sweet! Good luck getting it done.
        Joe

        Image
        Parker
        First Sergeant
        First Sergeant
        Posts: 550
        Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
        Location: Melbourne
        Australia

        Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

        Post by Parker »

        OK, first coat of the dark camo.

        Not as easy as I'd imagined I would be. I certainly don't have the steady hand of a surgeon. At various points very wobbly, but, first coat, several more coats required and I’ll hopefully be able to rectify the wobbles.

        Image

        Image

        Image

        Cheers all.

        -P
        On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

        Image
        User avatar
        Stokesy44
        Lieutenant General
        Lieutenant General
        Posts: 9093
        Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
        Location: The Midlands, UK
        Great Britain

        Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

        Post by Stokesy44 »

        Nice colours and a good base for more coats too
        Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
        User avatar
        digger303
        General
        General
        Posts: 16667
        Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
        Location: Western Australia
        Australia

        Re: A-7E Corsair II | 1/48 | Italeri

        Post by digger303 »

        :th: :th: :th:
        :cheers2:
        Listen and appear wise
        Image
        Image

        scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
        Image
        Post Reply

        Return to “Build threads”