Page 1 of 2

Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:35 am
by MrBowcat
Morning all. :)

I decided it was time to try my hand at a motorcycle, never built one before so why not jump in at the deep end with this.

Image

It's a very nicely detailed kit and typical Tamiya quality. I spent much of the Easter weekend turning this

Image

Into this

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

So far so good, although the masking of the body panels looks like it will be fun. :)

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:38 am
by Gary30
It's such a cool kit, loved building mine, your engine looks amazing already, I've got high hopes for the rest of the build.

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:41 am
by Casper
superb start MrB :clap: :clap:
Lovely looking kit, I like all the weld lines on the frame. :pop:

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:26 pm
by MrBowcat
Cheers gents. :)

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:00 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Off to a great start here mate :th:

I got this kit in my stash, was only looking at last week :pop: :cheers2:

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:14 pm
by MrBowcat
Cheers Kev. :)

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:17 pm
by BigWall
The engine looks great! You're kicking some butt on all these new to you builds!

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:46 pm
by MrBowcat
Cheers Joe. :)

To be fair I'm applying the same techniques and trying to pay more attention to detail.

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:10 am
by digger303
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:26 am
by MrBowcat
Morning all. :)

I've been working on getting the back end completed. First step was the pit stand and swing arm.

Image
Image

Then it was on to the brakes (also got the front disks done at this point), chain, suspension and radiator.

Image

And while I was at it I got some of the body parts glued together, sanded, filled, sanded again and primed. I also got the first colour down on the wheels, these are due to be gloss coated today so I can install the back end to the frame.

Image

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:32 pm
by Casper
:th: :clap: steaming ahead MrB. Love the orange :pop:

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:39 pm
by MrBowcat
Cheers Casp. :)

Yeah it's a nice colour, look's even better now its glossed. Will post a pic when dry.

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:36 pm
by WordenB
Looks excellent so far. Which paint are you using for the main orange and red on the fairings? I have the kit and the recommended TS flourescent orange and red (to decant) but from the can lid the red looks a bit weak.

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:19 pm
by MrBowcat
Cheers. :)

I got the set of white, orange and red from Gravity paints in Spain. Really fast delivery, Malaga to London in 14 hours.

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:20 pm
by WordenB
Thanks Mr B, that was a very quick delivery! I used to use Gravity 2k but had a few problems with one batch so tried a few others. I found that Zero Diamond suits me best, mixed as prescribed its thinner and can be sanded after 3 days. I like their paint as well but the set for the 213 is 5 colours and I only really needed the orange and red.
Look forward to the rest of the build.

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:29 pm
by MrBowcat
To be fair when I said set I just meant the three colours. I bought them individually. You can order just the orange and red, I think they were €5 each, although postage was another €10.

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:53 am
by Kevthemodeller
Great looking swingarm :th:

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:03 pm
by BigWall
It's coming along nicely. I look forward to seeing the paint go down.

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:31 am
by MrBowcat
Cheers Joe. :)

Not much modelling done this weekend, the ranges have finally re-opened so I was out punching holes in paper most of yesterday.

I did get the swing arm together and fitted to the frame.

Image
Image
Image

Unfortunately by my own stupidity I lost the Bridgestone decal from the right hand side. I'd taped the brake line while I fitted the swing arm and lifted the decal. Doh!

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:36 am
by Casper
very nice indeed mate :thumb1: :clap: :clap: superb finish. That orange is stunning.
and this is your first bike :o 8-) your skills are showing through MrB ;) excellent build :pop:

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:56 am
by Kodiopa
You're doing a great job.
I'm looking forward to the finished work.

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:05 am
by MrBowcat
Cheers guys. :)

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:45 pm
by WordenB
Very nice Mr B, makes me want to start mine. I used to punch holes in paper too until the smaller variety got banned.

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:20 pm
by MrBowcat
Cheers. :)

I didn't start until after the handgun ban, now the closest thing I have is a cap and ball revolver.

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:42 am
by WordenB
Never got in to powder but it always looked like fun. If you are interested I could try and pm you a picture of what i used to have.

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:00 pm
by MrBowcat
Definitely interested. :)

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:18 am
by MrBowcat
Morning guys. :)

Small update on this one, I've been working on getting the remaining parts cleaned up and painted.

I'm using Gravity paints for the panels, first time I've used these and it mostly went OK. I had some paint build up at the masking demarcations, but this seemed to be easily removed with some micromesh sanding. It's most likely something I did, there's always a learning curve with new paints.

I'm currently debating whether to clear coat the panels before applying decals. I'm thinking its probably going to be easier to apply decals with the panels fitted to the frame and a clear should help protect the paint from damage when removing later for a final clear.

Image
Image

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:53 am
by Casper
Superb MrB :clap: :clap: :thumb1: your killing it mate :D excellent finish. :pop:

I saw a good tip on you-tube for removing masking build up left by tape, the guy used some masking tape like you would to get hairs of your jacket, if that makes sense. Did you do the weld lines on the exhausts.
mark :thumb1:

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:54 am
by MrBowcat
Cheers Mark. :)

Good tip, will try that if I have the same issue again. Never had it with any other paints??

I've masked the exhaust for the weld lines, going to try heat staining this afternoon (something else I've never done). Fingers crossed.

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:09 pm
by Casper
MrBowcat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:54 am Cheers Mark. :)

Good tip, will try that if I have the same issue again. Never had it with any other paints??

I've masked the exhaust for the weld lines, going to try heat staining this afternoon (something else I've never done). Fingers crossed.
:pop: :thumb1:

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:39 am
by MrBowcat
Morning all. :)

I started getting some of the painted bits together yesterday.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

I'm not convinced that the exhaust heat staining is particularly good, it was my first ever attempt at doing this. As most of it will be hidden I decided to leave it.

I still need to do a panel line wash on some of the parts, particularly the brake calipers and handlebars.

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:56 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
I think it all looks great :th:
Really coming together now :clap:
this is an intimidating kit to me, you are doing spectacularily

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:57 pm
by MrBowcat
Thanks Scott. :)

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:15 pm
by WordenB
Beautiful work so far, very tidy!

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:40 pm
by Casper
wow MrB superb stuff :clap: :clap:
very clean build :thumb1:

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:42 pm
by ForeverPlasticKits
Awesome :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: your paint is fantastic!

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:43 pm
by MrBowcat
Cheers guys. :)

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:13 pm
by digger303
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:04 am
by BigWall
Nice! I really like the finish on the fenders.

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:49 am
by MrBowcat
Cheers guys. :)

Joe, good old LP-5.

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:30 am
by MrBowcat
Morning guys. :)

Had a bit of a disaster with this. I'm working on decals and as some of them need to line up across different panels I decided to fit the panels to the frame first.

The seat/tank section is made up of several parts, including a cover that sits in front of the tank. This is fitted by bending out the sides of the cover to pry them over the tank, which is both tricky and precarious. Not wanting to crack the cover (which itself is made of three parts glued together) I didn't want to over bend the sides and risk breakage so tried to slip it over. Then this happened.

Image

I attempted a spot repair but it looked crap so there was nothing else for it.

Image
Image

It's a bit of a pain, however on the plus side it means I can address a couple of seams that I hadn't fully sorted first time around. Knowing what I know now I will glue the cover on before painting, I guess Tamiya has it as a snap on part in case anyone wanted to remove it for display, I wont be doing this as under the cover is just a fairly boring black box and tank (maybe a fuse box & water tank??).

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:05 am
by Casper
Oh man :o don't you just hate it when something like this happens. I had a Honda that had a similar fairing you had to prise apart to get it over the frame and snapped it :roll: one of those ahhhhh! moments :cry:
looks like you r on top of it though MrB :)
mark

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:37 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Keep at it, she is fighting a bit but it will be worth it

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:04 pm
by WordenB
Looks like it stripped nicely and with seams sorted will be even better second time round.

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:02 am
by BigWall
Yes, other than being annoying, it looks to be an easy fix and you'll come out ahead. It's looking great!

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:46 am
by MrBowcat
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. :)

After a weekend of gluing, filling, sanding & painting it's fixed. I ended up having to strip the rear section of the seat as well as this had to be fitted before the front cover. All three parts were glued together so now one solid piece.

Image

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:29 am
by Casper
she really made you work hard but what a bike :clap: she came out excellent MrB :thumb1:
mark

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:47 pm
by digger303
MrBowcat wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:46 am Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. :)

After a weekend of gluing, filling, sanding & painting it's fixed. I ended up having to strip the rear section of the seat as well as this had to be fitted before the front cover. All three parts were glued together so now one solid piece.

Image
excellent bike MrBC and you got the color just right on the bottle cap too.... :lol:
Beautiful bike.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:cheers2:

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:47 pm
by MrBowcat
Cheers gents. :)

Digger, that's a special bottle of Repsol Tamiya thinner. ;) :lol:

Re: Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:58 pm
by digger303
MrBowcat wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:47 pm Cheers gents. :)

Digger, that's a special bottle of Repsol Tamiya thinner. ;) :lol:
How did I not see that..... :whistle: :whistle: :lol: