Page 1 of 1
Dspiae tools
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:29 pm
by Garion77
Hello everyone,
looking to buy a few things from dspiae but wanted to know a few things before. May be some of you bought some of them.
First of all, I'M looking at the circle cutter. And they have 3 different but really hard the difference between them... there's version 1 and 2 of the same thing. but they're also the entry lever circular cutter. Anyone know the difference ? By reading the descriptions I don't know... may be it's my English
The other tool I'm looking to buy from them is the HC Tungsten steel hook (for scribing). But they're another product that looks to do the same thing called the PB series tungsten push broach. Again... what is the difference between those because by reading the description I can't find any.
May be someone as bought them
Thanks in advance
Francis
Re: Dspiae tools
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:44 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
I have seen them Francis but don't have any to help you along. Didn't know there were three cutter versions
From what I have heard they are very well made aluminum and perform very well...expensive but worth it
I have seen this review before, hopefully some help
https://www.themodellingnews.com/2018/0 ... ling+News)
Re: Dspiae tools
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:53 pm
by digger303
The circle cutter has a different top piece and I think the cheaper one has the top piece made of plastic, but don't quote me on that as I struggled with that too and ended up buying the dearer one. Top piece being the flat bit that holds the cutter.
Their tweezers I can tell you have a very delicate touch while using them, but after a while the two halves get out of alignment due to having been only soldered together. They can be pushed back to the right position , but invariably they break apart. I used to love them, but 4 months and they were history.
Sorry can't tell you anything about the scriber. It might be the only difference being the shape of the blade ???
Re: Dspiae tools
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:39 am
by MrBowcat
Not sure if it helps but I recently bought the budget option stepless cutter (would have bought the more expensive one but it was out of stock everywhere).
It works very well and can cut very small circles if needed (down to about 1mm). So far I've used it to cut masking. There is a bit if trial and error involved to get the exact size required but it performs well.
Their sprue cutters are also very good quality and cut very cleanly.
Re: Dspiae tools
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:19 pm
by Garion77
digger303 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:53 pm
The circle cutter has a different top piece and I think the cheaper one has the top piece made of plastic, but don't quote me on that as I struggled with that too and ended up buying the dearer one. Top piece being the flat bit that holds the cutter.
Their tweezers I can tell you have a very delicate touch while using them, but after a while the two halves get out of alignment due to having been only soldered together. They can be pushed back to the right position , but invariably they break apart. I used to love them, but 4 months and they were history.
Sorry can't tell you anything about the scriber. It might be the only difference being the shape of the blade ???
it seems to be, as you say, the shape of the blade, but hard to say what difference both kinds do. One seems straighter then the other one...
Re: Dspiae tools
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:21 pm
by Garion77
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:44 pm
I have seen them Francis but don't have any to help you along. Didn't know there were three cutter versions
From what I have heard they are very well made aluminum and perform very well...expensive but worth it
I have seen this review before, hopefully some help
https://www.themodellingnews.com/2018/0 ... ling+News)
Thank you Scott ! I know they aren't cheap but some are pretty abordable on aliexpress. I was looking at the circle cutter because I like trying to paint instead of decals but I have a lot of trouble making good circles with the olfa circle cutter I have. And as for the scribing tools, I want other options for bigger width and those seems pretty good quality and are still cheaper then Tamiya's or the Japanese brand on Ultimate.
Re: Dspiae tools
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:22 pm
by Garion77
MrBowcat wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:39 am
Not sure if it helps but I recently bought the budget option stepless cutter (would have bought the more expensive one but it was out of stock everywhere).
It works very well and can cut very small circles if needed (down to about 1mm). So far I've used it to cut masking. There is a bit if trial and error involved to get the exact size required but it performs well.
Their sprue cutters are also very good quality and cut very cleanly.
Thank you for the information ! So you would recommend the cheaper version ? Do you think it's gone a last even with the plastic ?
Re: Dspiae tools
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:36 pm
by MrBowcat
I don't see why it wouldn't last. The main ring is still aluminum and off course the bearing is steel. Modern plastics are pretty tough, several of my rifles have polymer parts and magazines, and I haven't broken anything yet.
Re: Dspiae tools
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:45 pm
by digger303
MrBowcat wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:36 pm
I don't see why it wouldn't last. The main ring is still aluminum and off course the bearing is steel. Modern plastics are pretty tough, several of my rifles have polymer parts and magazines, and I haven't broken anything yet.
Can't argue with that all good points. The smaller circular housing may be more prone to movement when trying to cut and it would preclude it to be used with the additional locator tool that is available for the square shaped housing used by the more expensive model.
Re: Dspiae tools
Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:56 am
by MrBowcat
That is potentially very true. It has a rubber ring on the underside of the housing to prevent slippage, and I do tend to hold it fairly firmly when cutting. Maybe the greater weight of the larger version makes this unnecessary?? And if cutting multiple roundels (for example) the locator tool is pretty much a must have.
Edited to add: Having looked at the locator tool I don't actually see why it wouldn't work with the entry level cutter. The shape of it is clearly designed for the square sides of the larger version, but with the entry level version being a perfect circle you should still be able to use it to locate. It might need some shimming on the arms but once done should be repeatable, unless I am missing something??
Re: Dspiae tools
Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:29 am
by digger303
MrBowcat wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:56 am
That is potentially very true. It has a rubber ring on the underside of the housing to prevent slippage, and I do tend to hold it fairly firmly when cutting. Maybe the greater weight of the larger version makes this unnecessary?? And if cutting multiple roundels (for example) the locator tool is pretty much a must have.
Edited to add: Having looked at the locator tool I don't actually see why it wouldn't work with the entry level cutter. The shape of it is clearly designed for the square sides of the larger version, but with the entry level version being a perfect circle you should still be able to use it to locate. It might need some shimming on the arms but once done should be repeatable, unless I am missing something??
You are probably right. Must be a reason why there are two models though.

Re: Dspiae tools
Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:36 am
by MrBowcat
Maybe they weren't selling enough of the larger cutter and produced the budget version with lower manufacturing costs? Saying that, when I tried to buy the large version it was out of stock everywhere.
Re: Dspiae tools
Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:46 am
by digger303
MrBowcat wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:36 am
Maybe they weren't selling enough of the larger cutter and produced the budget version with lower manufacturing costs? Saying that, when I tried to buy the large version it was out of stock everywhere.
Seem to be a few here and a bit cheaper. I looked here ages ago and couldn't find any. Now they seem to be getting more plentiful.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3288428 ... web201603_
Re: Dspiae tools
Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:04 pm
by MrBowcat
This was a few months ago, and to be fair I was looking at UK retailers.
Re: Dspiae tools
Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:52 pm
by Garion77
digger303 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:46 am
MrBowcat wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:36 am
Maybe they weren't selling enough of the larger cutter and produced the budget version with lower manufacturing costs? Saying that, when I tried to buy the large version it was out of stock everywhere.
Seem to be a few here and a bit cheaper. I looked here ages ago and couldn't find any. Now they seem to be getting more plentiful.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3288428 ... web201603_
it is the cheapest way to get their tools. And shipping is low or free almost everywhere. which is pretty good for as they are always pretty expensive to Canada...don't know why

Re: Dspiae tools
Posted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:16 pm
by Garion77
I finally found the difference between the 2 kinds of broach ! I stumble by chance on High Altitude Scale Modeling youtube's channel, who's Brett channel that use to be on the live show I think. He has like 3 videos where he's reviewing all of their tools.
And the difference between the push broach and hook broach is that the push broach is like a chisel and the hook broach is actually made for panel lines as a scriber ; which is what I need.
Re: Dspiae tools
Posted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:52 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Garion77 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:16 pm
I finally found the difference between the 2 kinds of broach ! I stumble by chance on High Altitude Scale Modeling youtube's channel, who's Brett channel that use to be on the live show I think. He has like 3 videos where he's reviewing all of their tools.
And the difference between the push broach and hook broach is that the push broach is like a chisel and the hook broach is actually made for panel lines as a scriber ; which is what I need.
Excellent!
I remember Brett....I think they had a fall out and was asked to leave the live show
Make sure you show what you get, after all Father’s Day is around the corner and these are good things to ask for
