Page 1 of 1

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:03 am
by Parker
Back on the horse after a few weeks away. I haven’t done the most famous British fighter aircraft in history, so thought I’d give it a go. In your face Luftwaffe.

So far so good, no issues. All seems pretty straightforward. The main thing I’ve noticed is how small it is compared to my more recent builds.

Anyway, WIP below…

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Cheers all.
-P

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:42 am
by Tomcat64
Nice - I've got a MkV in the stash so looking forward to seeing how this goes together :pop:

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:30 am
by Kevthemodeller
Built the Airfix version not too long ago, looking forward to seeing this one come together :pop:

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:17 am
by Garion77
Will follow for sure. I have it in my stash and it supposed to go together pretty well. Also have Mk VIII and V from Eduard that I will do in a near future with a resin cockpit.

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:58 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Just built the 1/32 Revell version of a MkI...the kit was older than I am
You should be in for a treat with Tamiya. Best wishes for a clean build
:pop:

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:59 am
by Parker
Thanks for looking in fellas. Hope you're all keeping well.

All coming together very easily so far.
Wings on. That distinctive Spitfire wing shape really is beautiful.
Next step is the canopy, traditionally my Achilles heel.

Image

Image


I've left off a couple of flaps. I'm developing a narrative at the moment that this bird has a couple of damaged/replaced flaps. TBC.

Cheers all.
-P

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:38 am
by digger303
Parker wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:59 am Thanks for looking in fellas. Hope you're all keeping well.

All coming together very easily so far.
Wings on. That distinctive Spitfire wing shape really is beautiful.
Next step is the canopy, traditionally my Achilles heel.

Image

Image


I've left off a couple of flaps. I'm developing a narrative at the moment that this bird has a couple of damaged/replaced flaps. TBC.

Cheers all.
-P
Nice
I've yet to see a build with a line of cannon shell across it.... :D
No one wants to see there lovely spit shot up ;)
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:54 am
by Tomcat64
Nice progress mate - that's looking very tidy.

Interested to see how you're planning on beating this up :th:

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:53 am
by Parker
Not a very exciting update.
Dry fitting the landing gear and a glimpse of the metal grill.

Image

Image


Onward and upward.
-P

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:35 am
by digger303
Very tidy
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:19 am
by BigWall
Very cool kit Parker! I'm looking forward to seeing it come along.

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:58 am
by Parker
So, a bit more progress yesterday evening.

I've glued as much as I want to at this stage. All the main big bits are done, the little bits that if glued now would inevitably be accidently broken off whilst handling are all painted on the sprue patiently waiting their time to join the party.

Its honestly a very easy model to construct. Nothing has been problem.

Except... the masking of the canopy. I was expecting to simply peel off the required masking 'shapes' and apply. But no, Tamiya in their wisdom expect me to cut the shapes. I'm not doing that. I've instead masked the whole canopy and I'll work out something later. Looked a nightmare. Swerved.

Also gave the underside of the Spitfire its first coat of XF-21 (sky). Wasn't sure how many coats would be needed but its coming up pretty well, good coverage, will possibly need only one more coat. Then on top.


Anyway. Pics below...

Image

Image

Image

Image


Cheers all.
-P

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:05 pm
by Garion77
coming along nicely ! love the sky color... so beautiful. I totally agree with the Tamiya masks... I think, at the price they sell there kits and in 2021, it would be quite easy to sell it the same price with a precut one like Eduard.

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:23 am
by Parker
Second coat of the Sky to the underside has worked well.
Time to mask and get free form jazz with the painting of the top side.

Image

-P

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:40 am
by ForeverPlasticKits
Well done! :thumb2: You don't glue the nose lower part ? :scratch::

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:11 am
by Tomcat64
That's coming along really well Parker :) :th:

The Sky has gone down really smoothly - great job.

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:01 am
by Parker
ForeverPlasticKits wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:40 am Well done! :thumb2: You don't glue the nose lower part ? :scratch::
Thanks for looking in FP.

As well as a few flaps, I’ve also left off a few other components, the lower nose part being another one. They should’ve been attached prior to painting the Sky but I’m painting them separate. They’ll be attached last, currently they’re chrome.

Current thinking is this bird has seen some action and has been repaired quickly to get back up there doing her thing. I’m still toying with idea of a few bullet holes.

-P

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:11 am
by digger303
Love that Tamiya SKY and Gull green. Nice smooth coat on the under side. Plans coming together nicely.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:15 am
by Parker
GREEN!
Next up will be the camo.

Image

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:51 am
by Tomcat64
Image

Looking forward to seeing the camo pattern go down :th:

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:57 am
by Parker
Ha!

Love Blackadder.

First coat of the brown camo hasn’t gone well. My mix was to watery, as such I found myself making massive corrections to curves as the paint ran too much.

I’m not happy with how it looks. I’ll need to fix the camo with more green over the brown. Not ideal, but I’ll give it a crack.

Image

Image

Image


Salvage operation this weekend.

-P

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:00 am
by Parker
Progress with the salvage operation regarding the brown paint. Somewhat corrected, I’m certainly happier with the camo than I was previously.

Image

Image


I'll give it a clear coat to flatten out the brush strokes then on to decals.

Cheers all.
-P

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:05 am
by digger303
It's looking better each time you do a update and the paint looks great.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:07 am
by Tomcat64
Nice rework on the camo pattern mate :)

I don't know if it would have helped on this one but you could always lightly mark out the camo pattern you want with a soft pencil if you didn't want all the hassle of masking it off.

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:22 am
by BigWall
Very nice Parker!

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:18 am
by Parker
Clear coated and a few bits added.

Image

Image

Decals this evening.

-P

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:23 am
by digger303
Not far off getting the finial touches in place.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:29 am
by Parker
Larger decals applied.
Looking forward to weathering the little bird.

Image

Image

Cheers all.
-P

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:35 am
by Quax
Great job rescuing the cammo, the bird is looking great :clap: :clap:

Paul

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:01 pm
by BigWall
Very cool build!

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:37 am
by digger303
Nicely done.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:52 am
by Parker
Approaching the finish line.

All decals applied, no drama, all went down very well. I only stuffed up one of them, lost the top of a ‘K’ to the underside of a wing. Entirely my fault, I used too much Mr Mark Softer and it fell apart. I’ll disguise the error with weathering. On the plus side, I’m getting better at handling the tiny decals.

So, all decals done, clear coat applied, now on to the weathering!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Cheers all.
-P

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:06 am
by Kevthemodeller
Quax wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:35 am Great job rescuing the cammo, the bird is looking great :clap: :clap:

Paul
What he said :th:

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:18 am
by Parker
Bugger.

I got too keen to see the little pilot and I’ve gone ahead and removed the masking from the canopy. I forgot that I still need to apply another clear coat after the weathering.

More canopy masking required.

And I shouldn't have attached the the tall black pointing bit (antenna ?)... thats going to get snapped off at some point. Time will tell.

Image

-P

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:22 am
by Parker
see ya later buddy.

Image

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:21 am
by BigWall
It looking very nice Parker! Maybe use some tape and black paint to save the K?

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:33 am
by Tomcat64
Looking good with the decals on mate - they always bring a build to life don't they!

Joe's right - I reckon you could save that K with a steady hand and a touch of black paint :th:

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:02 pm
by Parker
Thanks for looking in fellas.

But the top of the K is gone. Let’s all move on.
I ain’t painting the top of a K. :D

I’ve done the weathering of the underside, and most of the topside.
Still a few touch ups to do, but pretty much done.

Image

Image

Cheers all.
-P

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:04 am
by BigWall
Ok on the K. The weathering is really looking sweet man!

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:10 am
by Parker
Cheers Joe.
Currently contemplating riddling the little bird with bullet holes.
Research required.

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:40 am
by Parker
Well, I’ve gone ahead and put bullet holes in the little bird. Small drill bit, then larger bit. I tried to strafe the holes as I imagined it may look. Clean through the wing & tail.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image



Couple of little touch ups then I’m calling it done.

Thanks for looking in fellas.

Cheers.
-P

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 | Tamiya | 1:48

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:59 am
by digger303
That's pretty effective.
:clap: :clap:
:cheers2: