Sopwith Snipe Walkaround

Walkaround and reference material for all types of Air, Land & Sea vehicles
Post Reply
Garion77
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1386
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:15 pm
Location: Terrebonne, QC, Canada
Canada

Sopwith Snipe Walkaround

Post by Garion77 »

Again, the continuation... I was pretty surprised to see how much pre war and WW I planes they were in the museum... Unfortunately only have this one to show in pictures and may be another one. because my pictures got mix up a bit.

ImageSans titre by Francis Pare, sur Flickr
ImageSans titre by Francis Pare, sur Flickr
ImageSans titre by Francis Pare, sur Flickr
ImageSans titre by Francis Pare, sur Flickr
ImageSans titre by Francis Pare, sur Flickr

ImageSans titre by Francis Pare, sur Flickr
ImageSans titre by Francis Pare, sur Flickr
ImageSans titre by Francis Pare, sur Flickr
Last edited by Garion77 on Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Francis

Image


At the bench
Tamiya's 1/72 F-16 and 1/48 Skyraider
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: Sopwith Snipe Walkaround

Post by BigWall »

Now that is super awesome!
Joe

Image
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Sopwith Snipe Walkaround

Post by Stokesy44 »

Cracking pics again mate. She looks so flimsy!
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: Sopwith Snipe Walkaround

Post by Kevthemodeller »

More superb pictures mate :th:

Arguably our best fighter of WW1, sadly it arrived only in the last weeks of the war. Not fast by the standards of the day, compared to the Fokker D.VII. But is was very maneuverable, stable, very good rate of climb and altitude performance. Much better than the Camel which is was based on and would replace, importantly easier to fly. It also had much better forward and above visibility, making it a very good dog fighter, outright speed isn't what you need in a dog fight.

I also believe it was Spowith's last aircraft to serve with the RAF.
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
Garion77
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1386
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:15 pm
Location: Terrebonne, QC, Canada
Canada

Re: Sopwith Snipe Walkaround

Post by Garion77 »

Kevthemodeller wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:34 am More superb pictures mate :th:

Arguably our best fighter of WW1, sadly it arrived only in the last weeks of the war. Not fast by the standards of the day, compared to the Fokker D.VII. But is was very maneuverable, stable, very good rate of climb and altitude performance. Much better than the Camel which is was based on and would replace, importantly easier to fly. It also had much better forward and above visibility, making it a very good dog fighter, outright speed isn't what you need in a dog fight.

I also believe it was Spowith's last aircraft to serve with the RAF.
Wow ! thank you for the info ! Didn't have time to read all the informations on all the aircraft when I visited... had a 7 year old around me that was running everywhere !
Francis

Image


At the bench
Tamiya's 1/72 F-16 and 1/48 Skyraider
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Sopwith Snipe Walkaround

Post by digger303 »

Thank you Francis GREAT pic's that help my understanding of the rigging in these things. Although I had a idea that the Brits used flat wired rigging to reduce drag. So I wonder if that had been replaced with whats available in this modern age. I'll have to do some research.
Book marked that for later.
thank you.
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
Garion77
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1386
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:15 pm
Location: Terrebonne, QC, Canada
Canada

Re: Sopwith Snipe Walkaround

Post by Garion77 »

digger303 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:19 pm Thank you Francis GREAT pic's that help my understanding of the rigging in these things. Although I had a idea that the Brits used flat wired rigging to reduce drag. So I wonder if that had been replaced with whats available in this modern age. I'll have to do some research.
Book marked that for later.
thank you.
:cheers2:
It will help for your poll's choice :tongue:
Francis

Image


At the bench
Tamiya's 1/72 F-16 and 1/48 Skyraider
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Sopwith Snipe Walkaround

Post by digger303 »

Garion77 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:06 pm
digger303 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:19 pm Thank you Francis GREAT pic's that help my understanding of the rigging in these things. Although I had a idea that the Brits used flat wired rigging to reduce drag. So I wonder if that had been replaced with whats available in this modern age. I'll have to do some research.
Book marked that for later.
thank you.
:cheers2:
It will help for your poll's choice :tongue:
It would and I thought I might be building the Spad then a rush of votes puts the car out in front.... :(
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: Sopwith Snipe Walkaround

Post by Kevthemodeller »

digger303 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:19 pm the Brits used flat wired rigging to reduce drag.
You're quite right Digger, it wasn't wire but stretched bar.
digger303 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:19 pmSo I wonder if that had been replaced with whats available in this modern age. I'll have to do some research.
I'm going to stick my neck out here, but the picture (No 6) showing a close up of wing strut root isn't from a Snipe. The strut base plate actually looks very similar to what the Germans used.

This is a Snipe wing strut root
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
Garion77
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1386
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:15 pm
Location: Terrebonne, QC, Canada
Canada

Re: Sopwith Snipe Walkaround

Post by Garion77 »

Kevthemodeller wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:21 am
digger303 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:19 pm the Brits used flat wired rigging to reduce drag.
You're quite right Digger, it wasn't wire but stretched bar.
digger303 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:19 pmSo I wonder if that had been replaced with whats available in this modern age. I'll have to do some research.
I'm going to stick my neck out here, but the picture (No 6) showing a close up of wing strut root isn't from a Snipe. The strut base plate actually looks very similar to what the Germans used.

This is a Snipe wing strut root
oups ! may be I mixed up the pictures :wall: I'll delete it the one your mentioning . Have other pictures of WW I plane from my visit but had trouble identifying which one was which. Because at the beginning my son was so excited I forgot to identify the planes properly.
Francis

Image


At the bench
Tamiya's 1/72 F-16 and 1/48 Skyraider
Garion77
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1386
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:15 pm
Location: Terrebonne, QC, Canada
Canada

Re: Sopwith Snipe Walkaround

Post by Garion77 »

Kevthemodeller wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:21 am
digger303 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:19 pm the Brits used flat wired rigging to reduce drag.
You're quite right Digger, it wasn't wire but stretched bar.
digger303 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:19 pmSo I wonder if that had been replaced with whats available in this modern age. I'll have to do some research.
I'm going to stick my neck out here, but the picture (No 6) showing a close up of wing strut root isn't from a Snipe. The strut base plate actually looks very similar to what the Germans used.

This is a Snipe wing strut root
Ok ! I look closely at the picture you mentioned and the other ones I have ... and the closeup (now deleted) is from a Fokker D VII, almost sure of it. You have more then a keen eye ! And surely know your stuff ! Impressive
Francis

Image


At the bench
Tamiya's 1/72 F-16 and 1/48 Skyraider
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: Sopwith Snipe Walkaround

Post by Kevthemodeller »

Garion77 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:12 pm oups ! may be I mixed up the pictures :wall: I'll delete it the one your mentioning . Have other pictures of WW I plane from my visit but had trouble identifying which one was which. Because at the beginning my son was so excited I forgot to identify the planes properly.
Not too worry mate, please don't think I was trying to be a smartass or anything, just trying to help out explain to Digger. WW1 plane are one of my passions is all :th: From things I've read one of the reasons the Germans didn't have stretched bar was mertail shortages brought on by our very successful blockade of German ports. This effected many areas of their war production, forcing them to use alternatives and I think it's fair to say drove the development of composite and synthetic rubber and other mertails.

I can well remember taking my two lads Hendon and Cosford, I think they'd almost run run the whole lot in what felt like 10mins :eeek: :crazy:
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
Garion77
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1386
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:15 pm
Location: Terrebonne, QC, Canada
Canada

Re: Sopwith Snipe Walkaround

Post by Garion77 »

Kevthemodeller wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:02 am
Garion77 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:12 pm oups ! may be I mixed up the pictures :wall: I'll delete it the one your mentioning . Have other pictures of WW I plane from my visit but had trouble identifying which one was which. Because at the beginning my son was so excited I forgot to identify the planes properly.
Not too worry mate, please don't think I was trying to be a smartass or anything, just trying to help out explain to Digger. WW1 plane are one of my passions is all :th: From things I've read one of the reasons the Germans didn't have stretched bar was mertail shortages brought on by our very successful blockade of German ports. This effected many areas of their war production, forcing them to use alternatives and I think it's fair to say drove the development of composite and synthetic rubber and other mertails.

I can well remember taking my two lads Hendon and Cosford, I think they'd almost run run the whole lot in what felt like 10mins :eeek: :crazy:
Don't worry I wasn't thinking at all you were trying to be a smartass... I was really impress by your knowledge. Beautiful passion you have then. It's true they are beautiful planes. Was impressed by the collection of WWI planes our Canadian museum had considering we weren't producing many. It's funny your mentioning the German differences because last night I was searching something in my AK Aircraft FAK book, and they show and make all the different attachments.

Ever did a kit of one ? Have 3 in my stash and going to by in a few day Wingnut wing. The 3 first one will the practice run.
Francis

Image


At the bench
Tamiya's 1/72 F-16 and 1/48 Skyraider
Post Reply

Return to “Walkarounds & Vehicle Reference”