Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Whether its tracked or wheeled, this is the place for it
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

Afternoon guys. :)


I've been having a bit of a break from modelling since June whilst I got to grips with figuring out how a lathe works. As the evenings are now starting to draw in I thought it's a good time to get back to fiddling with plastic instead of metal. :)


So I decided to ease my way back in with something simple then thought sod it, lets build something really complicated instead. With that in mind I pulled this from the stash.

Image

It's going to be OOB other than the new 3D printed radio set that should be in stock fairly soon. Until then there is plenty of other bits that can be built up and painted.

Image
Image

I made a small start yesterday with the chassis and running gear. It's my first RFM model and so far seems to be on par with Meng, everything fits well with little flash or seams.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by digger303 »

Some very crisp detail, even the uni joints look the part. The guys at RFM need a pat on the back from what I'm seeing.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Ps...Good to have you back amongst the plastic, but I would love to hear your thoughts on the lathe you purchased.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers Digger, yes colour me impressed with RFM (well this kit anyway), very crisp details on what I've seen so far.

The lathe is great, I bought a Warco WM180 which is classed as a mini/hobby lathe, but plenty big enough for my purposes. So far the biggest thing I have turned is 4 inch aluminium round bar and the lathe didn't miss a beat. I've made things out of Ali, Brass, Mild Steel and 01 Tool Steel/Drill Rod with no problem.

I did upgrade to a quick change tool post as the 4 way quickly became tedious, and I've turned new handles to replace the naff stock ones.

So far I've made a plethora of parts, including a machinist hammer, some pens, various knobs (including replacing all of my kitchen cupboard door and drawer knobs), a tap follower, a die holder, a step down adapter for my mums new water feature, some coasters, some drip tips (for e cigarettes) and various other bits and pieces. I'm getting better with my tolerances and chasing zeroes.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by Stokesy44 »

You wont regret buying Ryefield. Great kits. They test you but the engineering is first rate. Build looks good so far. Happy trails for the rest of the project.
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers Stokesy. :)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by digger303 »

MrBowcat wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:31 pm Cheers Digger, yes colour me impressed with RFM (well this kit anyway), very crisp details on what I've seen so far.

The lathe is great, I bought a Warco WM180 which is classed as a mini/hobby lathe, but plenty big enough for my purposes. So far the biggest thing I have turned is 4 inch aluminium round bar and the lathe didn't miss a beat. I've made things out of Ali, Brass, Mild Steel and 01 Tool Steel/Drill Rod with no problem.

I did upgrade to a quick change tool post as the 4 way quickly became tedious, and I've turned new handles to replace the naff stock ones.

So far I've made a plethora of parts, including a machinist hammer, some pens, various knobs (including replacing all of my kitchen cupboard door and drawer knobs), a tap follower, a die holder, a step down adapter for my mums new water feature, some coasters, some drip tips (for e cigarettes) and various other bits and pieces. I'm getting better with my tolerances and chasing zeroes.
Sweet giving it a work out then.
How would you rate it's reliability to exactly reproduce a similar part that you have just made or are the tolerances a bit loose and each one needing some honing ?
I saw a lathe come up on Sunday for 500 bucks Taiwanese and at least 2000 retail with all the extra's. BUT it was on the other side of the country and I was the first to message.....damn it could have been mine....800mm between centres too....sigh
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by BigWall »

That going to be a cool build to watch come together.

The metal lathe sounds so awesome. It makes me want to get one but I have to realize at some point that I have too many hobbies as it is.
Joe

Image
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

Digger, I had a production run on the kitchen cabinet knobs, 17 in total. I took the opportunity to practice repeatable results so took my time with them. I believe the variation between all of them was less than a hundreth of a mm.

The lathe is supposedly capable of ~0.005 mm (five thousandsth) but I'm not that good yet. :)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by digger303 »

MrBowcat wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:09 am Digger, I had a production run on the kitchen cabinet knobs, 17 in total. I took the opportunity to practice repeatable results so took my time with them. I believe the variation between all of them was less than a hundreth of a mm.

The lathe is supposedly capable of ~0.005 mm (five thousandsth) but I'm not that good yet. :)
That is pretty damn good in my book.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
DRUMS01
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2352
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:48 am
Location: Ohio, USA
United States of America

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by DRUMS01 »

I always though this might be a nice kit, so thanks for sharing it with us. I agree with you a digger regarding the detail. Are all the parts as crisp as those you have assembled? By the way, good modeling so far,... I'm pulling up a chair to watch this through to completion.

Ben
On the table or recently completed:

1/18 AV8-B Harrier - WIP
1/35 Churchill AVRE with SBG Bridge Diorama - DONE
75mm BMW R75 WW2 motorcycle with rider - DONE
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers Ben,

So far everything has been very crisp, it really has been a joy to build.

I finished off the chassis last night with the addition of the suspension arms, shocks, springs, bump stops, etc. There are a surprisingly large number of parts in this finished piece, the suspension alone is something like 15 parts per corner. However it does result in a very detailed part, shame most of it won't be seen. I'm hoping to make the bonnet and doors workable so at least the interior and engine will be viewable.

Image
Image

With that done I made a start on the engine which will be built in sub assemblies, painted in the various colours and then assembled.

Image
Image

I'm intending to detail this a bit further with lead wire and aluminium tape for hose clamps. I just need to try and find some detailed pics of the real thing for reference.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by digger303 »

7.2 liter inline-6 Caterpillar C7 turbodiesel
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers Digger, plenty of pics of that online. :thumb2:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by BigWall »

That kit has very nice detail! Most of my lifetime modeling has been cars. I'm not sure why I do armor now but this is making me want to pick that kit up. Very nice work!
Joe

Image
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers Joe. :)

I would say I was more of an AFV modeller, I occasionally dabble in aircraft but my last 5 builds have been cars and bikes. It's nice to get back to something that I can throw some mud and dust at. :D
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

Morning guys. :)

Progress has been slow on this, purely because I am very limited in when I can airbrush. I have switched over completely to lacquer and enamel paints, and as Mrs B has asthma I only like to spray these when she is at work. This means spraying is limited to Saturdays only at the moment.

So last Saturday I painted all the engine components and spent the last couple of evenings putting it together and adding weathering.

I still intend to add some additional hoses and wires, but will wait until its installed in the chassis and some more of the bodywork is on.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by digger303 »

Top notch in all departments. One thing though on the exhaust side of the turbo it is generally all rust and no paint. It just gets too hot.
:bow:: :bow:: :bow::
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers Digger. :)

Yep, I will be going back in with the pigments on the exhaust and that side of the turbo having since found some better reference pics of that side of the engine.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by BigWall »

Amazingly good work! It looks great
Joe

Image
WordenB
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:12 pm
Location: Garden of England
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by WordenB »

Brilliant work so far Mr B. This is one of only 2 armour kits I have (mainly do cars), I bought it because I heard it was well detailed and it certainly looks to be that way!
My completed efforts are here viewtopic.php?t=29294
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers gents. :)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

Morning all. :)

Small update on this, I installed the engine, transmission and prop shaft into the chassis. This was a tricky endeavour and involved some time and swearing, but I managed to get it all together without breaking anything off.

The chassis has had a first pass with Tamiya panel liner to highlight the various bolts and parts, it will later have dust and sand added, and I may apply some scratching and chipping to the underside, bumpers and ladder.

Image
Image
Image
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by digger303 »

Your really treating this kit with the love it deserves. :clap: :clap:
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers Digger.

I assume you approve of the re-worked turbo and pipe? :)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by digger303 »

MrBowcat wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:59 pm Cheers Digger.

I assume you approve of the re-worked turbo and pipe? :)
Well it should be a little darker :lol: :lol:
Honestly I don't care how you paint it, but it seemed like you are trying to get it to look as real as possible. As long as your happy I'm happy.
I would like a closer look at your pipe clamps. They look pretty good from what I can see and such a small detail often over looked by many, but add volumes to the visual feast.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
:th:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

I'll try and get some closer pics. They are just strips of aluminum tape.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
DRUMS01
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2352
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:48 am
Location: Ohio, USA
United States of America

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by DRUMS01 »

I really like this model kit (from what you are showing) and you are doing a wonderful job with it.
On the table or recently completed:

1/18 AV8-B Harrier - WIP
1/35 Churchill AVRE with SBG Bridge Diorama - DONE
75mm BMW R75 WW2 motorcycle with rider - DONE
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by BigWall »

It's looking great! That engine is da bomb!
Joe

Image
ForeverPlasticKits
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 895
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:45 pm
Location: France
France

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by ForeverPlasticKits »

Very nice paint on the engine, gear box and cooling! :thumb1:
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by digger303 »

MrBowcat wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:14 pm I'll try and get some closer pics. They are just strips of aluminum tape.
How do you get them to stick and wrap around nicely ?
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers guys. :)

Digger, it's self adhesive aluminium tape, I just got it from Amazon.

Image

I just hold it down on my cutting mat and slice a very thin strip with a Xacto and steel ruler. When the strips are so thin they tend to automatically detach from the backing and stick to the mat, which is handy. I use the back of my tweezers to roughly burnish it flat, then cut a section out that is roughly straight (I just guess at the length).

Image

This is then placed on top of the part enough so that it grabs, and the tails pulled around with the tweezers. Normally I do this with the part off the model, so the tails can be snipped underneath where they cant be seen. The part in these photos was already glued on, so I had to pre cut the length then feed it around. Once it's on just a quick burnish with whatever is to hand (cocktail stick, end of paint brush, cotton bud, whatever) and you're done.

Image
Image

If you are really patient you can go around with a blade and imprint the lines you see on a jubilee clip/hose clamp.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by digger303 »

Very effective, only aluminum tape I've seen has a tar backing, I shall have to look on amazon.
Thanks ....sorry for being a pain.
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

digger303 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:06 am
Thanks ....sorry for being a pain.
:cheers2:
No wuckers. :D
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Garion77
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1386
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:15 pm
Location: Terrebonne, QC, Canada
Canada

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by Garion77 »

Just caught up on this thread ! Don't know how I missed it ! really nice work ! I bought the same tape for future detailing on plane engines and landing gear struts. It works pretty well. But hard to get a clean cut with it on my side.
Nice work !
Francis

Image


At the bench
Tamiya's 1/72 F-16 and 1/48 Skyraider
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers Francis. :)

The tape has a lot of potential applications, I've even heard of people using it for Zimmerit on WW2 German AFV's.

I find for cutting a fresh blade helps, hold it down well with the steel ruler, and take several light cuts rather than trying to do it in one pass.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Just stumbled into this thread late like a drunken fool :shifty:
Some awesome work going on here
Loving the CAT engine detailing you did man :th:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

Thanks Scott. :)

I've been working on the radio gear and racking the last couple of evenings, will get some pics up shortly.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Garion77
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1386
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:15 pm
Location: Terrebonne, QC, Canada
Canada

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by Garion77 »

MrBowcat wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:32 pm Cheers Francis. :)

The tape has a lot of potential applications, I've even heard of people using it for Zimmerit on WW2 German AFV's.

I find for cutting a fresh blade helps, hold it down well with the steel ruler, and take several light cuts rather than trying to do it in one pass.
I think that's what I should have .... thanks for the advice !
Francis

Image


At the bench
Tamiya's 1/72 F-16 and 1/48 Skyraider
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

Garion77 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:58 am I think that's what I should have .... thanks for the advice !
:thumb2:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

Morning all. :)

As I mentioned I've been working on the radio gear and racking. This is all now completed and added to the floor plan. It's had a first weathering pass with some dry brushing and a wash (which I still need to go back over as I noticed in the pics I've missed a few spots). I also added some cabling and wiring. I've used artistic licence as I have no idea if this is correct but I think it adds some interest.

Image
Image
Image
Image

Once the dashboard, firewall and rear wall are on I will go back over the floor with some sand and wear effects. Might also add a little chipping to the racking.

On the subject of the dash, I also got that together and painted.

Image

Thats all for now. :)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by digger303 »

I'm impressed, :drool: :jd: I have so far to go..... :wall: :? :(
:clap: :clap: :clap:
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers Digger. :)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
Mpfiend
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:56 am
Location: Sussex
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by Mpfiend »

Really nice, loving the detail painting of the radios and dash.
is the radio upgrade worth the extra money? it certainly looks great painted up.
Regards,
Keith
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers Keith. :)

In my opinion for £20, yes. Without it the racking would be completely bare, and although a lot of the detail wont be seen I still think it's massively better than anything I could scratch build.

Plus, I got a good few days enjoyment out of it with all the research, PE gluing, painting, detailing, etc so I think I got my moneys worth.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by digger303 »

MrBowcat wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:23 pm Cheers Keith. :)

In my opinion for £20, yes. Without it the racking would be completely bare, and although a lot of the detail wont be seen I still think it's massively better than anything I could scratch build.

Plus, I got a good few days enjoyment out of it with all the research, PE gluing, painting, detailing, etc so I think I got my moneys worth.
That's the best way to think of it. How much value in modeling time was gained and then at the end how much extra satisfaction you achieved knowing it was done to a high level by your own hand. Priceless I think.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by BigWall »

MrBowcat wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:23 pm Plus, I got a good few days enjoyment out of it with all the research, PE gluing, painting, detailing, etc so I think I got my moneys worth.
That's a damn good thought! I haven't let myself buy a full interior kit because the detail won't be seen. Now I've got yet another reason to expand my stash.

It looks great! It's amazing what a little dry brushing and washes will accomplish.
Joe

Image
User avatar
Mpfiend
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:56 am
Location: Sussex
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by Mpfiend »

MrBowcat wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:23 pm Cheers Keith. :)

In my opinion for £20, yes. Without it the racking would be completely bare, and although a lot of the detail wont be seen I still think it's massively better than anything I could scratch build.

Plus, I got a good few days enjoyment out of it with all the research, PE gluing, painting, detailing, etc so I think I got my moneys worth.
Thanks, I think I'll get one ordered for my kit.
Regards,
Keith
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by MrBowcat »

I got mine from https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/produc ... arketplace. Good price and really quick delivery.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
WordenB
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:12 pm
Location: Garden of England
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by WordenB »

Very well done Mr B, looks so good that I've had to order the upgrade for my kit!
My completed efforts are here viewtopic.php?t=29294
User avatar
Mpfiend
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:56 am
Location: Sussex
England

Re: Ryefield Models M1240A1 M-ATV

Post by Mpfiend »

MrBowcat wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:33 pm I got mine from https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/produc ... arketplace. Good price and really quick delivery.
Thanks for the link :th:
Can I ask what "sand" colour you have painted the frame work of the radio set up. It looks very convincing.

looking forward to the next update.
Regards,
Keith
Post Reply

Return to “Armour & Military Vehicles”