Page 1 of 1
Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:25 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Christmas is upon us!
1. Do you delay Christmas to the very end or are you roaring to go in November? how early do decorations go up ?
2. do you have a kit wish list?
3. will you buy yourself something using christmas as an excuse?
4. Will you get some extra modelling time over a Christmas vacation?
5. Fondest Christmas memory, modelling or not
6.Real or fake Christmas tree?
7. Last minute shopper or are you an early one?

Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:10 pm
by chops1sc
1. Do you delay Christmas to the very end or are you roaring to go in November? how early do decorations go up ?
My family has always waited until after Thanksgiving to start decoration for Christmas.
2. Do you have a kit wish list?
I keep a wish list on Amazon as well as Scalemates
3. Will you buy yourself something using Christmas as an excuse?
YES! And my wife HATES it, LOL!
4. Will you get some extra modelling time over a Christmas vacation?
I usually do if I am in the mood. Sometimes the honey-do list gets in the way, though.
5. Fondest Christmas memory, modelling or not.
1985 (I was 7) when I got the original Nintendo is probably my most memorable. I was so excited! I have many great memories from Christmas!
6.Real or fake Christmas tree?
Fake. My dad was a firefighter. He had been to so many house fires caused by dried out trees.
7. Last minute shopper or are you an early one?
It is usually a mix. We get the majority done early but there is always a last-minute gift or cash run.
Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:17 pm
by tg18083
1. Do you delay Christmas to the very end or are you roaring to go in November? how early do decorations go up ?
Usually get started the weekend after the last Thursday in November (US Thanksgiving).
2. do you have a kit wish list?
Usually a small one. Over the last few years my wife has bought GWH 1/48 tbd Devastator, Tamiya 1/48 new tool Spitfire, and Tamiya 1/48 P-38
3. will you buy yourself something using christmas as an excuse?
No
4. Will you get some extra modelling time over a Christmas vacation?
Yes
5. Fondest Christmas memory, modelling or not
Hot wheels race track - age fiveish
6.Real or fake Christmas tree?
Fake
7. Last minute shopper or are you an early one?
Yes
Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:04 pm
by RangerNeil
1. Do you delay Christmas to the very end or are you roaring to go in November? how early do decorations go up ?
Thats complicated....

My wife is a JW so officially in this house Christmas doesn't happen. That said around Mid-November time is when I start looking around at what to get the daughter and son-in-law for presents.
2. do you have a kit wish list?
Always..
3. will you buy yourself something using christmas as an excuse?
No - OH would get upset if I did that so December is a quiet time kit & gear purchase wise. That said it is tacitly understood in the weeks prior to December I can get what I want.
4. Will you get some extra modelling time over a Christmas vacation?
No.

Amazon don't do Xmas vacations. As it stands right now I am working Christmas Eve and Christmas Day as well as New Years Eve and New Years day
5. Fondest Christmas memory, modelling or not
Probably when I was about 7. Dad worked on the London Underground and also served in the Reserves with X Para so I never saw much of him. That year we were expecting him to be working right throough Xmas so it was a great and wonderful surprise to find out he had 2 weeks off. Then too Mum always made the Xmas cake, Xmas pudding and her own recipe sausage rolls and mince pies. Not had them since she passed away...
EDIT: Reading some of the other replies jogged a buried memory loose - '79 and being glad to be home as (long and unpleasant story) the November had carried a very real chance that I'd never see that Xmas or any other. Ever since I've counted myself lucky for every one that I get through.
6.Real or fake Christmas tree?
Neither sadly - see answer #1.
7. Last minute shopper or are you an early one?
Bit of both. More the early if possible bit I have been known to be hunting in the week before Xmas.
Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:20 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
1. Do you delay Christmas to the very end or are you roaring to go in November? how early do decorations go up ?
I love Christmas time. Food, Lights, decorations, all the classic movies and cartoon specials. My wife has deemed no Christmas stuff until after an early December birthday in the family b/c kids and I were watching Christmas cartoons in the summer when they were little. I have LED house lights up all year that are white and I can switch to colour on December 1st. Tree goes up after this particular birthday
2. do you have a kit wish list?
Not specifically as I buy what I want, when I want and family doesn't buy model stuff for me
3. will you buy yourself something using christmas as an excuse?
100% This question was modelled after me
Santa has wrapped a model for me under the tree the last 5 yrs or so in a row
4. Will you get some extra modelling time over a Christmas vacation?
If we are not travelling to relatives, then yes I do get some extra time in the Nerd Lab
5. Fondest Christmas memory, modelling or not
Hmm, have to think more on this one

Never really got anything stupendous for Christmas as a kid, pretty frugal parents
I had a good childhood, but far better times once married to my wonderful wife who always spoils me with thoughtful gifts and amazing cooking. We started our own traditions with our children
6.Real or fake Christmas tree?
Real tree still, though I am pushing for a fake one as they are so good now, trees messy and expensive etc etc
I got out voted, so have a real tree to put up again this weekend
7. Last minute shopper or are you an early one?
This year I am an early shopper and all online as I hate shopping, especially in December. I really try to listen through the year for hints from people for something for them and either order it then or make a list. I love getting someone just the right thing for them...better to give than receive kinda thing
Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:13 am
by BigWall
1. Do you delay Christmas to the very end or are you roaring to go in November? How early do decorations go up ?
It's always been a rule with us that nothing Christmassy happens until after Thanksgiving. We'll decorate this weekend and they'll come down after New Years.
2. Do you have a kit wish list?
I do.
3. Will you buy yourself something using Christmas as an excuse?
No, but I have been known to buy presents for my family to give me.
4. Will you get some extra modelling time over a Christmas vacation?
I'll actually get less. My modeling area is on the dining room table so it gets to be moved out of the way for Christmas dinner.
5. Fondest Christmas memory, modelling or not
I was probably 7 or 8. Walking outside with my Mom just feeling the Christmas spirit.
6.Real or fake Christmas tree?
Real. However they're too messy and expensive anymore, so fake. This year were just putting up a Charlie Brown Christmas tree. I'll miss putting up a bigger tree because I like to tell our kids the history behind the ornaments as we decorate the tree.
7. Last minute shopper or are you an early one?
We tend to be last minute but try to get it done earlier. Right now, my presents are the only ones that have been bought (Adam Wilder's books have been rereleased). We'll probably knock out the majority of the rest this weekend.
Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:33 am
by DRUMS01
1. Do you delay Christmas to the very end or are you roaring to go in November? how early do decorations go up ?
If your talking retail, then we begin near September and have it done by the first week of December. If your referring to the real meaning of Christ mass, we start that in earnest on Advent. Decorations begin going up the day after Thanksgiving (U.S. Holiday).
2. do you have a kit wish list?
Always, but it usually never gets looked at for Holiday presents.
3. will you buy yourself something using christmas as an excuse?
Yes, I am guilty as charged already this year as I already got three models that will be wrapped.
4. Will you get some extra modelling time over a Christmas vacation?
Actually, with family members coming in from across the country and taking time with my children and grandchildren it usually is less time during Christmas and New Years for modeling. With that said, I am very happy for the moments I can gather as a family so I welcome time away from modeling.
5. Fondest Christmas memory, modelling or not
NOT IN ANY SPECIFIC ORDER
- Returning back in country after a very long deployment for my first family Christmas in 3 years.
- Special needs sons first Christmas (he is now 23).
- First Christmas with my wife, Becky..... 36 years ago.
- 31 years ago when my wife surprised me with a real Springfield M1 Garand rifle for Christmas.
- 91 yr old mom's breaded chicken bites for Xmas snacks.
- Wife's homemade egg noodles (they go well with the chicken bites).
And YES, I do consider myself a very lucky man to have those memories......
6.Real or fake Christmas tree?
Fake 9 foot that looks real, seriously..... (other than being shaped perfectly).
7. Last minute shopper or are you an early one?
See answer to question # 1
Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:01 am
by aur0ra145
1. Do you delay Christmas to the very end or are you roaring to go in November? how early do decorations go up ?
About the second Thanksgiving (US) is over we put up the tree. The house lights come the following weekend.
2. do you have a kit wish list?
Yes, several kits, manufacturers and tools. Even as broad as "anything by Wingnut Wings."
3. will you buy yourself something using christmas as an excuse?
Occasionally, I very much get what I want when I want it (within reason) during the year. So, as it gets closer to Christmas I take a hiatus from hobby purchasing and give a list to the family.
4. Will you get some extra modelling time over a Christmas vacation?
This year, no. I'll be doing work stuff right up until we leave for my parents house. They live half way across the country, so no model time for me!
5. Fondest Christmas memory, modelling or not
Probably getting a Super NES as a kid and playing it all day/night with my dad.
6.Real or fake Christmas tree?
Fake. I'm allergic to real ones, soooo it's all about quality of life. This year we bought a super-duper realistic looking fake tree. It better last forever based on the price!
7. Last minute shopper or are you an early one?
I get everyone's main presents early. I was done Christmas shopping before Black Friday this year. The little stuff, or stocking stuffers I get at the very end. I'm a fan of the last minute Christmas shopping rush. It's fun driving around, seeing all the Christmas stuff and shopping without the stress of
having to get something last second.
Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:20 am
by digger303
I'm not fussed about the decorations. I would be if there were kids around, that's a whole different ball game. I'd be in all the toy stores too.
I've always got a wish list 24/7 , but does anyone even look at it....NOOoo.
I've started that great tradition and my wife even gets me to buy my own from her on the proviso....No more kits....bit harsh imho.
I've now got the time it's getting motivated thats the problem and finishing things.
When we divorced and my son came to live with me and our first Christmas together was when the first playstation was launched and we got kitted up and spent huge hrs playing the games. Should have seen the size of his eyes that Xmas morning.
Fake no mess no fuss and hey in this country there is no choice.
I start buying early , but it's never finished until about a week before.
Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:48 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Super answers so far

My favourite question is the fondest Christmas memory one

Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:10 am
by BigWall
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:48 am
Super answers so far

My favourite question is the fondest Christmas memory one
Agreed! Thanks for asking that! It's brought many memories flooding back.
Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:07 pm
by Tomcat64
1. Do you delay Christmas to the very end or are you roaring to go in November? how early do decorations go up ?
With my birthday in November and my brother's in the first week of December our family has never felt we can properly get started on the build up to Christmas until we've passed both those events. As a result, the way that shops start pushing Christmas stuff in October and decorations going up in November actually tends to get me down a little. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Christmas on the day with my family and the final run up from about mid-December.
Mrs Tomcat is more like Scott and would have decorations up all year round if she could

So as a compromise decorations go up from 1st December onwards (we've got them down from the loft but they've not gone up yet as she's been making the most of the decent if cold weather in the garden this weekend)
[edit]The tree is now up & decorated![/edit]
2. do you have a kit wish list?
Yes, my folks always ask for gift ideas so there's always a few kits on there even if I'm trying to control the stash.
3. will you buy yourself something using christmas as an excuse?
Nope, not in the run up but I may get something afterwards if there was something I really wanted on my wish list that didn't make it into Santa's sack.
4. Will you get some extra modelling time over a Christmas vacation?
Probably - Mrs Tomcat & me are both working one day between Christmas and the New Year but otherwise we should have plenty of time to ourselves, although we are hoping to meet up with friends on at least one of those.
5. Fondest Christmas memory, modelling or not
From early days I remember one Christmas we were with my grandparents near London and me and my brother went out in the snow with mum - I guess I must have been five or six.
In more recent times the first Christmas that the now Mrs Tomcat spent with my family in 2006 - it was just great to watch her enjoy herself with my folks.
6.Real or fake Christmas tree?
Fake.
We had a real tree every year when I was growing up and one of my other Christmas memories is someone having to clean up the needles every morning - it smelt great though!
7. Last minute shopper or are you an early one?
As a rule I hate being unprepared or late for anything, so I'll generally get started as soon as my brother's birthday is done (so I've ordered stuff this weekend) and even with my aversion to an early start to Christmas as mentioned in point 1 will pick things up earlier if I see something. No doubt I'll see something I like for someone in the last week as well

Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:04 pm
by Stokesy44
1. Do you delay Christmas to the very end or are you roaring to go in November? how early do decorations go up ?
I think 1 December is a good time to start. Before then seems a bit of a stretch, after that it feels a bit grinch-like not to be getting into the festive spirit.
2. do you have a kit wish list?
Absolutely. You cant call yourself a modeler and not want to load up old Santa with the goodies
3. will you buy yourself something using Christmas as an excuse?
Excuses? Excuses? I dont need no stinking excuses!
4. Will you get some extra modelling time over a Christmas vacation?
Absolutely. I finish on the 23rd and I'm not back until the 4th. After spending Christmas and Boxing day with family I will be seeing friends and socializing between Christmas and NY but the bench will definitely host some seasonal sessions.
5. Fondest Christmas memory, modelling or not
As a child we used to go on holiday with 4 or 5 families every year to a small family run hotel in Swanage, Dorset. One year, the owner invited us all for Christmas. We had the run of the hotel and everyone helped out. I still have the most wonderful memories, the size of the tree, playing cricket on the beach. The flaming pudding and just the wonder of Christmas as a child.
6.Real or fake Christmas tree?
I dont care, as long as it looks good
7. Last minute shopper or are you an early one?
With the rise of the internet my only concerns now are making sure I get stuff that delivers the right side of the big day.
Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:24 pm
by MrBowcat
1. Do you delay Christmas to the very end or are you roaring to go in November? how early do decorations go up ?
I'm not fussed, I would normally do it the first weekend of December. My missus on the other hand nags me to do it the last weekend of November.
2. do you have a kit wish list?
Oh yes.
3. will you buy yourself something using christmas as an excuse?
Indirectly. At work I'm in charge of sending out Christmas hampers and crates of wine to our better customers. Usually I can get a buy X amount, get one free. Guess where the free one ends up.
4. Will you get some extra modelling time over a Christmas vacation?
The opposite is true. As a dining room table modeller I will have to pack up my equipment on Christmas Eve, as the missus insists on using the table for the Christmas meal. The bare liberty of it!
5. Fondest Christmas memory, modelling or not
Probably the first Christmas with my first child. Up to then (I was 30 at the time) Christmas was not than exciting, but having a child changed that.
6.Real or fake Christmas tree?
Fake. With fibre optics.
7. Last minute shopper or are you an early one?
Used to be last minute (literally Christmas Eve) but now everything gets ordered online a month or so before.
Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:14 am
by Tomcat64
One more question from me - do you still send Christmas cards?
We still do to close friends and family - especially the older members of our family as it's still part of the annual tradition for them.
No prizes for guessing I'm sitting here looking at a pile of cards & address labels

Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:27 am
by Garion77
1. Do you delay Christmas to the very end or are you roaring to go in November? how early do decorations go up ?
Well, if I would listen to my girlfriend I would put the decorations at the last moment possible !! But has I respond to her : how has to put them outside !?! So since it's usually start to be pretty cold in November here, I tend to put the decorations the last weekend of November.
2. do you have a kit wish list?
Oh yes !!! thanks to scalemates I can keep it in my mind ! And I also have a list on my iPhone for other modeling products.
3. will you buy yourself something using christmas as an excuse?
Usually I do for Christmas and for my birthday also. I usually allow myself a budget for it. But this year I won't

Actually it came in October with the 6 Wingnut wings kit I bought. And bought a lot of other things this year. So let's say the modeling budget is more then busted !!! And don't forget, we've been in a new house since the beginning of COVID. So a lot of expense on that side too... small renovations, painting, decorations, reparations...
4. Will you get some extra modelling time over a Christmas vacation?
Usually I do. Being off at work for almost 3 weeks every year. And this year, again, no small vacations because of COVID. And it's a time of year where I need to relax as work gets more intense all summer long all the way to Christmas. SO usually I'm pretty tired when we get to the Christmas Vacations and really need to recharge the batteries. But this year, with COVID (again) it was not like that at all.
5. Fondest Christmas memory, modelling or not
Don't have a lot... Christmas was, I don't know why, a tense moment always so they was a lot of fighting between my parents... And my Dad died a week before Christmas 10 years ago this year. So that as been killing a bit of the spirit also, It took 4 years for my mom to get over it. But also, Christmas was always beautiful as it's the favorite moment of the year for my mom. She's won many prizes for the decorations outside and you should the Christmas tree and village in the house.... simply WOW each year.
And one special Christmas for me, may sound funny, was the first Christmas with my son after I've got separated with is mom. The way I planned it made it pretty magical to see the reactions of my son. He's now 7. And it's going to be the last one he believes in Santa sadly...
6.Real or fake Christmas tree?
Fake as I've had one for the last few years that was given to me. But I would love a real one one day. Never had one.
7. Last minute shopper or are you an early one?
Both. Christmas is big thing in my family. Were a small extended family that is very tight. SO everyone gives a gift to everyone. So that makes a few to buy !!

So I tend to start at the end of November but always finish the last days.
Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:51 am
by BigWall
Tomcat64 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:14 am
One more question from me - do you still send Christmas cards?
We still do to close friends and family - especially the older members of our family as it's still part of the annual tradition for them.
No prizes for guessing I'm sitting here looking at a pile of cards & address labels
We haven't for many years. Unfortunately, it's a tradition that has fallen to the wayside.
Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:02 pm
by RangerNeil
Tomcat64 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:14 am
One more question from me - do you still send Christmas cards?
We still do to close friends and family - especially the older members of our family as it's still part of the annual tradition for them.
No prizes for guessing I'm sitting here looking at a pile of cards & address labels
Guess I am "lucky" there then. I exchange cards with my daughter and a friend down in Oz. All the rest of the people I knew have passed beyond now.
Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:15 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Tomcat64 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:14 am
One more question from me - do you still send Christmas cards?
We still do to close friends and family - especially the older members of our family as it's still part of the annual tradition for them.
No prizes for guessing I'm sitting here looking at a pile of cards & address labels
Have not sent many cards out in the past, wife does a select few still and we get a couple at home
But we are restarting doing a mass send of Christmas/Holiday greeting card to patients this year as a bit of cheer in such shitty times
Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:15 am
by digger303
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:15 pm
Tomcat64 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:14 am
One more question from me - do you still send Christmas cards?
We still do to close friends and family - especially the older members of our family as it's still part of the annual tradition for them.
No prizes for guessing I'm sitting here looking at a pile of cards & address labels
Have not sent many cards out in the past, wife does a select few still and we get a couple at home
But we are restarting doing a mass send of Christmas/Holiday greeting card to patients this year as a bit of cheer in such shitty times
That's a nice sentiment

Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:12 pm
by Kevthemodeller
1. Do you delay Christmas to the very end or are you roaring to go in November? how early do decorations go up?
The Mrs starts 1 Dec the tree and decorations go up, there's not that many but the tree is perfection
2. do you have a kit wish list?
Yes but it's not really for Christmas its rare others buy my kits, and I've got too many
3. will you buy yourself something using christmas as an excuse?
Oh yes

Now this year I'm blaming Tomcat64, who went off in an unexpected direction and started building a train

and reignited my passion in all things steam train. Neil you've cost me a small fortune
4. Will you get some extra modelling time over a Christmas vacation?
Yes, I normally do
5. Fondest Christmas memory, modelling or not
Too many to pick one, getting my first train set age 6 it was a Triang. I've still got it the loco and tender, my little brother destroyed the rest of it

, the years when all I got was a big sack full of Airfix kits

, All the years spent with my grandparents
6.Real or fake Christmas tree?
Fake nowadays although it's damn good you'd be hard pushed to tell, not cheap but worth it.
7. Last minute shopper or are you an early one?
Bit of both, I always like to get the Mrs that extra one on Christmas Eve
Re: Friday Questions #11 Holy Christmas
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:27 am
by Tomcat64