Page 1 of 1

Playing with ONSHAPE and loving it!

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:40 pm
by CJSomerset
I've been slowly learning FREECAD for about 6 months and getting fairly good at it, and then I found a YouTube video by Makers Muse asking which free CAD software is best for beginners, so I watched it of course hoping they would say FREECAD. But no! Their answer was ONSHAPE which I had never heard of.But it did look good, so I gave it ago.........Maybe the FREECAD learning has given me an advantage, but boy it's SO MUCH EASIER!

In 5 minutes I'd got the basic idea so I started looking for something to make. I've been making life-size models of German WW2 kit, so I decided to try and make a gas mask canister. Partly because I want one, but also I never managed to make rounded grooves in FREECAD and this is full of them. I haven't bothered being super accurate. I'm just eye balling a few pics.

Here's what I have so far.

Image

I'll make the hinges and clasp separately .

22 hours into the first part
Image

Re: Playing with ONSHAPE and loving it!

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:03 pm
by KBF
Very nice!!!

That Onshape program looks awsome, but was very pricy. Im going to start experimenting with Fusion360 myself when I
buy me new PC.

Nice to see another Ender S1 printer too

Please post more pictures!

Re: Playing with ONSHAPE and loving it!

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:28 pm
by CJSomerset
KBF wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:03 pm Very nice!!!

That Onshape program looks awsome, but was very pricy.
Nope it’s free! With a pretty cleaver way of making sure you are not using it professionally!

Re: Playing with ONSHAPE and loving it!

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:21 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
I am going to have a look
Thanks for posting it :th:

Re: Playing with ONSHAPE and loving it!

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:49 pm
by KBF
Will check it out for sure!

Re: Playing with ONSHAPE and loving it!

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:12 am
by digger303
Pretty cool.....going to make a gas mask too ?
:cheers2:

Re: Playing with ONSHAPE and loving it!

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:52 am
by BobM
I’ve been using Fusion 360 for a few years and have also dabbled with FreeCAD. I also saw Teaching Tech’s videos so I’ve started looking into OnShape. Fusion 360 and OnShape seem to be very similar; it should be fairly easy to switch between the two. They both have their own pluses and minuses, time will tell which I’ll settle on. I agree, both are much easier than FreeCAD.

Re: Playing with ONSHAPE and loving it!

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:31 pm
by CJSomerset
Sorry it's been a while. I tried something new and wasn't sure it would work until I'd painted everything.

Here's a pic of the the two sections glued together . Until now I've been knocking the layer lines down with 80 grit and then finger painting everything with a Milliput sludge. But whilst applying the filler I noticed that the blobs of Milliput that I had not yet crushed into the layer lines looked remarkable like scabs or flakes of rust, so I left them in place and carried on with the built.

I'd made a mistake by adding two strap hangers when there should have been three.....

Image

A little Milliput to make the surviving strap hanger closer to the original.....

Image

Fabricating a working clasp by means of an elastic band...

Image


Lid and correct strap Hangers fitted and everything primed red...

Image

it's got the POX...

Image

The finished item ...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Gotta say I like working at full size, and I now know what I'm building next.......and it's gonna be HUGE!