Page 1 of 1

Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:17 pm
by MrBowcat
Afternoon all. :)

After a full year of building motorcycles I thought it was about time to get back to something armed and armoured. I built the M1240A1 M-ATV almost exactly a year ago, this is very similar but in British flavour.

Image

This will be a fairly straightforward build, I might scratch some radio gear. With the M-ATV I bought the 3D printed radio's and put in a lot of wiring detail, but realised at the end that you can't really see any of it anyway.

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:41 pm
by Tomcat64
Ok I'm along for the ride on this one - looking forward to seeing it come together :pop:

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:49 pm
by Mpfiend
So this is next then,
After your M-ATV I'm looking forward to see what you do with this one.

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:16 pm
by MrBowcat
Cheers Guys. :)

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:33 pm
by digger303
Wouldn't miss it.
:cheers2:

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:09 pm
by KalebB
This'll be a fun build to follow, pretty cool wheeled vehicle :th:

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:56 pm
by ForeverPlasticKits
Nice kit and a good choice, i can't wait to see the build! :thumb1: :thumb2:

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:15 pm
by RangerNeil
Looks an interesting subject!! :)

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:35 am
by MrBowcat
Morning all. :)

Made a start on this one yesterday, after a year of building bikes this fell together easily.

The kit is basically three parts, the chassis/running gear/bonnet, the cab and the rear bed. Without an engine the first part went fast.

Chassis/running gear.
Image

Bonnet and wheels.
Image

And a quick test fit of all the parts.
Image

This all needs a pin wash, and later some dirt and sand, but I think I will move on for now and do all the weathering when the various sub assemblies are together.

Paint is Hataka C238 Desert Tan, and some Tamiya LP for the blacks. I actually found I was almost out of the C238 so had to order more. Paint was £3.30, delivery was £4.50, so naturally had to add a cheeky kit to the order to make the postage worthwhile. :dance:

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:20 am
by Tomcat64
That's come together really quickly - looks like everything is fitting well so far?
MrBowcat wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:35 am ...Paint was £3.30, delivery was £4.50, so naturally had to add a cheeky kit to the order to make the postage worthwhile. :dance:
Absolutely - in fact I think it's a breach of forum rules to do anything other than this! :lol:

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:16 pm
by ForeverPlasticKits
Nice job on your model, and the price of the paint is so cheap that add a kit is NECESSARY with no discussion!! :thumb1: :dance: :th:

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:05 am
by KalebB
Looks like it's coming together quickly and nicely! .

Also, always gotta add a kit, even if there's no need to make it to free shipping :lol: :thumb1:

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:08 am
by MrBowcat
Cheers guys. :)

Didn't get much done on it over the weekend, was at the range most of yesterday putting a new rifle through it's paces. Just got most of the cab parts off the sprues and cleaned up ready for paint.

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:39 am
by digger303
Really nice paint work and the kit looks pretty sleek.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:59 pm
by KalebB
MrBowcat wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:08 am Cheers guys. :)

Didn't get much done on it over the weekend, was at the range most of yesterday putting a new rifle through it's paces. Just got most of the cab parts off the sprues and cleaned up ready for paint.
A range day is always an acceptable excuse! :cheers2: :banana:

I messed around with a few of my Mosin-Nagants on Sunday myself

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:24 am
by smokeriderdon
MrBowcat wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:08 am Cheers guys. :)

Didn't get much done on it over the weekend, was at the range most of yesterday putting a new rifle through it's paces. Just got most of the cab parts off the sprues and cleaned up ready for paint.
What rifle???

Looks good so far. Nice that they dont burden you with an engine that wont be seen. LOL

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:52 pm
by MrBowcat
It's a Rossi 92 lever action in .44 Mag.

Kaleb, Nagant's pack a punch. I shot a carbine a while ago, 18" flame with every shot. :D

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:14 pm
by KalebB
MrBowcat wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:52 pm It's a Rossi 92 lever action in .44 Mag.

Kaleb, Nagant's pack a punch. I shot a carbine a while ago, 18" flame with every shot. :D
Yes I quite enjoy my M44 carbine, the fireball is hilarious every time :lol: :pistols:

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:23 am
by MrBowcat
Morning all.

I've been working on the cab interior. As mentioned before the kit doesn't come with any type of radio gear to fill the shelving. Having built the M_ATV previously and splashing out on a 3D printed radio set I knew that not very much would be visible once the doors are on (even when open) so I decided to scratch some bits to go in there.

Now, full disclosure, I'm not much of a scratch builder but I used my imagination and made some blobs to represent radio's, transceivers, amps and a headset. This is what it all looks like, along with some wiring.


Image

Image


And this is what the interior currently looks like.

Image

Image

It's just had a first weathering pass with some oil's at the moment, I will go back over it with sand and dust pigment to make it look a bit more lived in before closing up the cab.

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:45 am
by digger303
Looks suitably busy and good to go....well done.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:21 am
by Garion77
Looks good !! great start !

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:28 pm
by MrBowcat
Cheers Digger. :)

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:03 pm
by RangerNeil
KalebB wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:59 pm
MrBowcat wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:08 am Cheers guys. :)

Didn't get much done on it over the weekend, was at the range most of yesterday putting a new rifle through it's paces. Just got most of the cab parts off the sprues and cleaned up ready for paint.
A range day is always an acceptable excuse! :cheers2: :banana:

I messed around with a few of my Mosin-Nagants on Sunday myself
Are your Mosin-Nagants chambered in 7.62x54R? I used to love shooting the SVD in the forces, this being the UK, though, those days are long gone. :( Mine are only deacs now.

Husky is coming on nicely now - looking forwards to seeing the finished model! :)

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:20 pm
by ForeverPlasticKits
Wonderful interior, the paint is awesome! :thumb1: :thumb2:

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:24 pm
by MrBowcat
Cheers. :)

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:37 am
by BigWall
Nice scratch building! The interior is coming along nicely!

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:56 pm
by MrBowcat
Cheers Joe. :)

Got the cab finished and buttoned up today, I'll post pics tomorrow.

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:50 am
by MrBowcat
Morning all.

Finished up the cab this weekend. First was a second weathering pass, I kept it simple with a sand clay wash followed up by some pigments, mostly on the floor and lower parts, and the seats. Again, not much will be seen once closed and with the (open) doors fitted so I didn't go mad.

Image


Next I had to finish the dashboard which had already been painted but needed a wash and 17 decals applied.

Image


And with that all done I could get the roof on. This all seems to fit well.

Image

Image


I think next I will get the exterior of the cab and the doors painted, then move on to the rear bed.

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:35 pm
by digger303
Love the detailing in the cab.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:44 pm
by MrBowcat
Cheers Digger. :)

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:46 pm
by Tomcat64
Superb work mate - the cab looks fantastic :th:

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:43 am
by BigWall
Really nice! Very nice detailing

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:47 pm
by Mpfiend
this is coming along very nicely.

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:19 pm
by MrBowcat
Cheers guys. :)

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:55 pm
by ForeverPlasticKits
This kit is wonderful as your work, :thumb1: :thumb2: !

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:39 am
by MrBowcat
Morning all. :)

I seem to have forgotten to update this thread, and quite a bit has been done.

First up was finishing the exterior of the cab with various handrails, sensors, camera & lights. Next I built up the rear load bay and turret before getting the various decals applied. I found it amusing the number of health and safety placards that are on this vehicle. Finally everything was given a matt coat, which looks gloss in the pics as I had literally just sprayed it.

I've also painted all the other greeblies, so I can now get on with the fun part, weathering.

Image

Image

Image

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:58 pm
by digger303
Looking sharp.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:31 pm
by ForeverPlasticKits
So nice! :thumb1: :thumb2:

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:56 pm
by MrBowcat
Cheers gents. :)

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:26 pm
by WordenB
Beautiful work as always Mr B, well done mate.

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:25 am
by Mpfiend
coming together nicely, top job

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:21 am
by MrBowcat
Morning All. :)

Stage one of the weathering is complete.

Image

Image

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:05 am
by digger303
Ever so grubby :thumb1:
I wanna see stage 2 and 3 :D :D
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:28 am
by MrBowcat
Cheers Digger. :)

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:29 am
by MrBowcat
Morning all. :)

Stage 2 is now complete. This is quite subtle and consists of a very thin oil wash (Starship Filth) around all the bolts, rivets, cleats, etc. Because it's so thin and goes straight on top of the clay, it tends to soak in and gives the impression of ingrained dirt without being too stark. Well, that's the theory at least. :)

Image

Image

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:50 pm
by Tomcat64
Just caught up with the weathering - that looks superb mate, properly well-used!

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:06 pm
by ForeverPlasticKits
That's a real vehicle used in combat, well done, the result is fantastic! :thumb1: :thumb2:

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:48 pm
by digger303
The filth really sticks to all the crevices well. I wouldn't have thought to use the clay based and then the oil wash over it.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:45 am
by MrBowcat
Cheers guys. :)

Wrapped this one up last night, pics here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30724.​​​

Last few steps were just giving it a pigment scrub on the horizontal surfaces, adding some junk in the bed, weathering and attaching the doors and adding an aerial. As expected, very little of the interior is visible.

Re: Meng 1/35 Husky TSV

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:05 pm
by digger303
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2: