Page 1 of 1
FA18A - Kinetic - 1:48
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:02 am
by Parker
Good afternoon gents,
Hope you’re all well.
First model for the year will be the FA18 that’s being eyeing me off for a while.
Quite an impressive kit. You can do several different set ups, FA18A, FA18B, CF188B, wings up, wings folded, various decal options and a lot of weapon options. There’s a lot of plastic in the box.
For this build I’m going to do the FA18A in RAAF decals.
Up up and away.
Cockpit underway...
Fuselage underway...
Cheers all.
P
Re: FA18A - Kinetic - 1:48
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:50 am
by BigWall
Nice start and cool plane!
Re: FA18A - Kinetic - 1:48
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:52 am
by MrBowcat
I'll follow along, I will be building the Meng Super Hornet in March.

Re: FA18A - Kinetic - 1:48
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:26 am
by Garion77
I'll also follow along because that's a kit I'm also wanting for a while now.
Re: FA18A - Kinetic - 1:48
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:40 am
by ForeverPlasticKits
A good start on this excellent kit, such a big box!

Re: FA18A - Kinetic - 1:48
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:06 pm
by Engine95
Excellent, looking forward to the build! Love the Rhino.
Growing up where I did I was lucky enough to see the USN Blue Angels every year from the last season they flew the F-4J all the way up to the current Super Bugs. Amazingly versatile weapons platform.
Re: FA18A - Kinetic - 1:48
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:03 pm
by Parker
Thanks for looking in fellas.
Better up my game with a few eyes on the build!
Re: FA18A - Kinetic - 1:48
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:13 pm
by Parker
Morning all.
A little bit of progress last night on the FA18.
External & internal air intakes attached.
The nose assembly is complete but when dry fitting with the upper fuselage it’s become clear that it’s not the best fit. Possibly user error. There are several gaps that will need to be addressed. To be honest, the flimsy nose section that forms part of the upper fuselage seems a strange way to do this part of the bird.
Dry fitting of the cockpit looks good.
At this point of the build its just the nose section that’s giving me concern. All other parts have fitted really well.
Cheers all.
P
Re: FA18A - Kinetic - 1:48
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:33 pm
by cor
Looking good. Bit of sanding and filling and it'll be fine.
Re: FA18A - Kinetic - 1:48
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:43 am
by Parker
Hi all,
Bit of an update. Managed to get a few hours in over the weekend.
As suspected, user error is to blame for a couple of gaps. Thinking that the front top nose section looked flimsy I attached the more solid nose section first, then the upper fuselage, so as to give it support and avoid me clumsily bending it or breaking it. Good in theory, however what that’s lead to is me fixing the nose section a fraction (1mm) out of alignment. Filling and sand has sorted it out, I think.
Another problem has been the cockpit canopy. Again, possibly (probably) user error as the seat hits the underside of the canopy. I’ve glued it all in place so we’ll see how that works itself out. Possibly (probably) more gaps to sort out when I remove the masking tape. All will be revealed.
Cheers all.
P
Re: FA18A - Kinetic - 1:48
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:59 am
by Parker
Morning fellas,
Hope you’re all well.
Its been a few months between drinks. Completely lost the model mojo, life things happened.
But, a visit to the recent Model expo here in Melbourne (
https://www.modelexpo.com.au/ ) and speaking with a few of the fellas there has piqued my interest.
So I dusted off the FA18 and set out all the bits and bobs on the dinning table.
So this is where I’m at.
Painting has been completed and now I’m doing the decals. So as not to dampen the mood I’m electing to not do all the minuscule ‘No Step’ decals. Or any minuscule decals for that matter.
At this stage I’m thinking weathering will be minimal. Lets just get this one completed and I’ll check my mojo levels.
Cheers all.
P
Re: FA18A - Kinetic - 1:48
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:16 am
by digger303
WOO Hoo glad to see you picking up the tools again.
Modelling is a solitary hobby mostly and it's easy to have the mojo ebb away. Like you I find if I can communicate with others it helps to keep the interest up. Have you got any clubs near you ?
The FA18 is looking good. You must have gotten the nose sorted out as it's all painted now and being decaled.
Get all the big decals on and gradually do the smaller ones here and there and I bet it just starts to look better and better
Keep up the good work I can't wait to see the end product.

Re: FA18A - Kinetic - 1:48
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:06 am
by Parker
Cheers Digger.
I managed to salvage the nose, just don’t look to close.
Re: FA18A - Kinetic - 1:48
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:46 am
by Parker
A few more hours last night.
I'll give it another clear coat then a bit of weathering whilst watching The Ashes tonight.
Cheers all.
P
Re: FA18A - Kinetic - 1:48
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:29 am
by digger303