Requesting Advice: Painting Buckets

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
Engine95
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:51 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:
United States of America

Requesting Advice: Painting Buckets

Post by Engine95 »

Gents,

I'm working on a build for a Panther Ausf. D in Italy, early '44. Specifically the photo below:

Image

I scratch built a bucket to hang from the jack handle in the photo. I can only assume given the time period it was some kind of cheap tin or similar material. And because of the brightness in the photo, I of course I painted it with one of the Vallejo metal colors in my rack. But honestly, I've never been happy with any kind of metal paint. It always looks . . . out of scale metallic? I'd normally weather it with rust and dust to achieve a more realistic appearance, but other than what appears to be a blotch up by the rim in the photo it almost looks brand new.

So I'm asking for advice: how would you go about painting the bucket?

Image
F.D.N.Y. Box 55-8087
In Memory of Brothers in Battle
ForeverPlasticKits
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 895
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:45 pm
Location: France
France

Re: Requesting Advice: Painting Buckets

Post by ForeverPlasticKits »

Most of the usual objects from this era were made in aluminum or zinc, with no paint. So for me your bucket is perfect! :thumb1:
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Requesting Advice: Painting Buckets

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Fabulous scratch building
What exactly were those buckets used for…or do I not want to know :?
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Requesting Advice: Painting Buckets

Post by digger303 »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:24 pm Fabulous scratch building
What exactly were those buckets used for…or do I not want to know :?
The one on the tiger seems to have a spout on it so maybe not what your thinking.
Coolant refilling ?
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: Requesting Advice: Painting Buckets

Post by BigWall »

Here's my answer. Paint silver and then run a wash of Tamiya black panel liner around it and let dry. Repeat until you're happy with the results.

ImageJT 75 by Big Wall, on Flickr
Joe

Image
User avatar
Engine95
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:51 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Requesting Advice: Painting Buckets

Post by Engine95 »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:24 pm Fabulous scratch building
What exactly were those buckets used for…or do I not want to know :?
Oddly enough, one of Nicholas Moran’s (World of Tanks, The Chieftain) older videos just popped up on my YouTube feed. He was doing a walk around of the Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. G at Bovington with Hilary Doyle and that specific question came up. If Hilary Doyle doesn’t know, I don’t think any of us ever will. :lol:

Thanks for the input gents. I think I’m just going to dirt it up a bit. :cheers2:
F.D.N.Y. Box 55-8087
In Memory of Brothers in Battle
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Requesting Advice: Painting Buckets

Post by Stokesy44 »

Aluminum then dirty it up, job done :th:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Requesting Advice: Painting Buckets

Post by digger303 »

Engine95 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:32 am
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:24 pm Fabulous scratch building
What exactly were those buckets used for…or do I not want to know :?
Oddly enough, one of Nicholas Moran’s (World of Tanks, The Chieftain) older videos just popped up on my YouTube feed. He was doing a walk around of the Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. G at Bovington with Hilary Doyle and that specific question came up. If Hilary Doyle doesn’t know, I don’t think any of us ever will. :lol:

Thanks for the input gents. I think I’m just going to dirt it up a bit. :cheers2:


at 12.48
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”