Page 1 of 1
Tamiya 1:35 Sd.Kfz. 222 help needed
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:14 pm
by bfrd
I am trying to resurrect the 222 from the shelf of doom. I have two problems.
1. I lost one half of the PE shield for the main hatch. I have looked on and off for more than 6 months. It is just gone. So, if any one has the Eduard PE and won’t be using the kit PE I would love to buy it from you. I checked Tamiya’s spare part site and they don’t list that sprue as being available.
2. Both headlamps broke off and have been lost to whatever abyss holds the first part. I’d be grateful for some good close up pictures of any 222 headlamps either on the sprue or on a finished model. I will then make a 3D model and print my own replacement. The PE part above is too thin for my printer.
Any help would be appreciated. My modeling resolutions for this year are to finish off my doom models.

Re: Tamiya 1:35 Sd.Kfz. 222 help needed
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:26 pm
by Tomcat64
I've got this grey one in the stash
From memory your's was the Afrika Korps version, but working on the assumption that the parts are the same here are A7 & A8 on the sprue front & back
Let me know if you need something else/different and I'll take a swipe at the weekend - I'll try & figure out a side angle to show the curves somehow
Re: Tamiya 1:35 Sd.Kfz. 222 help needed
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:42 pm
by digger303
bfrd wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:14 pm
I am trying to resurrect the 222 from the shelf of doom. I have two problems.
1. I lost one half of the PE shield for the main hatch. I have looked on and off for more than 6 months. It is just gone. So, if any one has the Eduard PE and won’t be using the kit PE I would love to buy it from you. I checked Tamiya’s spare part site and they don’t list that sprue as being available.
2. Both headlamps broke off and have been lost to whatever abyss holds the first part. I’d be grateful for some good close up pictures of any 222 headlamps either on the sprue or on a finished model. I will then make a 3D model and print my own replacement. The PE part above is too thin for my printer.
Any help would be appreciated. My modeling resolutions for this year are to finish off my doom models.
Sorry my kit is a Hobby boss and unstarted and I have no extra parts for it.
I seem to remember a spare parts Facebook page which I think is based in the USA.

Re: Tamiya 1:35 Sd.Kfz. 222 help needed
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:37 pm
by bfrd
Tomcat64 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:26 pm
I've got this grey one in the stash
From memory your's was the Afrika Korps version, but working on the assumption that the parts are the same here are A7 & A8 on the sprue front & back
Let me know if you need something else/different and I'll take a swipe at the weekend - I'll try & figure out a side angle to show the curves somehow
Nope, that is perfect!
Re: Tamiya 1:35 Sd.Kfz. 222 help needed
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:50 am
by RangerNeil
Just a thought - could you perhaps scratch-build a hatch from thin brass sheet??
Sorry if its a dumb thought..
Re: Tamiya 1:35 Sd.Kfz. 222 help needed
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:43 am
by Tomcat64
bfrd wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:37 pm
Tomcat64 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:26 pm
I've got this grey one in the stash
From memory your's was the Afrika Korps version, but working on the assumption that the parts are the same here are A7 & A8 on the sprue front & back
Let me know if you need something else/different and I'll take a swipe at the weekend - I'll try & figure out a side angle to show the curves somehow
Nope, that is perfect!
Cool - just shout if you need anything else
Re: Tamiya 1:35 Sd.Kfz. 222 help needed
Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:44 pm
by bfrd
Here are the 3D models I came up using Fusion 360. I used a little creative freedom since I am somewhat limited in what I know how to do in Fusion.
Overview
Detail Front
Detail Back
Thanks for the pictures, Neil!
Re: Tamiya 1:35 Sd.Kfz. 222 help needed
Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:55 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Those are awesome !
I can print them for you if you need
Re: Tamiya 1:35 Sd.Kfz. 222 help needed
Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:51 am
by bfrd
I found an inexpensive PE set with only the part I was missing at BNA Model World. This is the first time ordering from these guys; I also picked up a few other goodies to justify the shipping costs.
Once I get my headlamps printed, I'll be all set to finish the 222!
Re: Tamiya 1:35 Sd.Kfz. 222 help needed
Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:05 pm
by Tomcat64
Nice work - good to see you got the mesh sorted out as well
Re: Tamiya 1:35 Sd.Kfz. 222 help needed
Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:35 am
by digger303