Page 1 of 1
Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:54 pm
by RangerNeil
So - after Tiger build #3 aborted due to missing parts and is now on hold we move to build #4 - the Jagd Tiger.
This is one of Takoms kits - never built one before so it should be interesting. Hopefully in a good rather than a frustrating way....
Again I'll skip the photos of instuctions and sprues (unless anyone wants them?) and crack straight on with the build. As with build #3 the first steps are on the under side of the hull and deal with both idlers, drive sprockets, road wheels and suspension.
First impressions are, like the Academy Tiger 1, the parts are nice and crisply moulded, free from flash and visible ejector marks. They are, though, attached to the sprues by VERY substantial connectors so there will be a lot of cleaning up to do.
It needed some serious work with a sanding stick to get get the Idler axles to fit but conversely the Drive axles went on like a dream.
Next job is 10 suspension stops, 5 a side to go on. Got 5 partially painted before the wife threw a wobbler over dinner being ready....
One thing I have noted - there are a LOT of tiny little parts on this one so .gonna have to be on my toes to make sure the floor monster goes hungry!!

Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:01 am
by digger303
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:26 pm
by RangerNeil
Will do. So far, so good - got the suspension blocks on last night after giving that part of the hull two coats of the Initial Dunkelgelb.
The only observation at the moment is is that virtually every part has a sprue vent off-shoot to be trimmed off and cleaned. Nothing major at all.

Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:04 am
by RangerNeil
So far - so good.... I've completed one sides road wheels and suspension units plus the drive sprockets and idlers.
To compare with Tamiyas Elefant build the Takom parts are generally a VERY precise fit. Slightest bit of paint will prevent fitting, indeed sometimes they need "persuading" to fit. A case in point being where the suspension units mount to the hull. Even with the paint scraped off they would not fit properly and to get them on required firstly running a file over the mounting boss to remove the slight taper the moulding process required then scraping a chamfer on the edge of the mounting hole. Finally the slit in the boss that sits over a key in the hull needed opening at the base as the slot also had a slight taper inwards. Had it been a Tamiya kit they would have dropped straight in.
However where the Takom kit scores is in attention to fine detail. For example- these are part of the suspension system which is pretty much a duplicate of the Elefants:
The one on the left is the finished Takom unit, the one on the right is how the Tamiya units look finished with the Takom infill to give that overall look. Admittedly they are moulded the otherway around - the Tamiya voids are outward facing but scarcely visible as the road wheels hide virtually all of it - the Takom ones are inward facing so the infills are necessary.
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:33 am
by digger303
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:00 am
by RangerNeil
Thanks Digger
All the road-train is now on, idlers and drive sprockets aren't stuck on until I decide whether to go for Friuhl or use the plastic links supplied with the kit.
When I said Takom pay attention to fine details I wasn't joking!
Instructions call for all these little nuts to be cut off the sprue for later use..

Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:16 pm
by RangerNeil
So... small nuts finally sliced off the edge of the sprue - accompanied by a couple of heart attack moments as a couple pinged off rather than dropping. Luckily the chassis made an effective block! These nuts go onto the lower exhaust covers:
The rear panel looks quite good, the jack isn't just slid between the upper and lower bracket arm, the brackets include the clamp bolts so the jack has to be slipped in. Not a problem one end but the other has a 90⁰ bend thats bigger than the hole! Luckily the plastic is flexible enough to allow it to bend enough to get the clamp over this.
Fitted into the chassis it looks good - a closer examination would show the two metal couplings at top left also have the retaining brackets.
Moving on, next steps involve the upper hull. So that needed painting first then yet more fine details added to the hull prior to the pioneer tools and tow cables going on. Unlike Tamiya who - usually - add these at the end of the build Takom are having them added halfway through. I think if I were to build this kit again I would leave these steps until the upper and lower hulls were joined
Thus the progress at close of play leaves the JagdTiger thus:
I've also ordered the tracks for this, the SturmTiger and the Churchill from Friuhl.
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:39 am
by digger303
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:10 am
by RangerNeil
Got some more done last night. I am quite enjoying this build, literally hours are passing without me noticing and yet the advances are quite small to look at, such is the detail level. A case in point - every other Tiger kit built or in the stash has the electrical conduit for the front light moulded onto the hull. Takom provide it as a seperate part.
Anyways - heres how I finished up last night - this was about 4 hours work inc. the painting....
And after painting these parts ready for the next phase:
The upper hull is not joined to the lower yet - waiting to put the tracks on first and the drive sprockets are off as the Friuhl link set apparently comes with 2 cast sprockets
The painting guide shows the finished vehicle in Dunkelgelb only, no disruptive overlay(s). Not sure how accuate that is for a vehicle designed to lay hidden to ambush the other sides armour. So some research is needed there - the only markings provided are for a Kampfgruppe in Normandy in '44.
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:31 pm
by digger303
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:30 am
by RangerNeil
No interior on this one I'm afraid - all the hatches are assembled closed.

If there is one niggle thats constant so far is that they keep omitting part numbers on the assembly instructions. Otherwise I'd rate the build so far as 99% equal to Tamiya. I'll certainly be building another Takom kit.
On to tonights progress:
Still some PE to add to the engine decks and some bracketry to the top of the hull. Then woeks starts on the back wall of the fighting compartment.
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:32 am
by Quax
Hi Neil, if you take a look at current photos of the Tank Museums Jagdtiger they repainted theirs to an appropriate dunkelgelb after research (don’t look at the appalling scheme prior to 2017…!) it’s also a Porsche variant so might help you with any other bits
Paul
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:38 am
by digger303
RangerNeil wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:30 am
No interior on this one I'm afraid - all the hatches are assembled closed.

If there is one niggle thats constant so far is that they keep omitting part numbers on the assembly instructions. Otherwise I'd rate the build so far as 99% equal to Tamiya. I'll certainly be building another Takom kit.
On to tonights progress:
Still some PE to add to the engine decks and some bracketry to the top of the hull. Then woeks starts on the back wall of the fighting compartment.
Look inside my friend...

Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:21 am
by Stokesy44
Looks like a very nice kit. The zim coat looks good and it all looks right. I'm a Takom fan so its good to see you enjoying this one.
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:25 pm
by aur0ra145
Nicely done thus far!
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:46 pm
by RangerNeil
Had to put the kits drive sprockets somewhere safe! You know what I'm like - metal tracks will come, I won't like their sprockets, decide to use the kit ones - and find I've lost them!!

So as I won't be joining the hulls till the tracks are on and done - what safer place to keep them?
Stokesy44 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:21 am
Looks like a very nice kit. The zim coat looks good and it all looks right. I'm a Takom fan so its good to see you enjoying this one.
It is a very nice kit - I'm not usually a fan of lots of tiny, tiny parts but this has been thoroughly enjoyable because everything fits so precisely so I'll definitely be building more!!
aur0ra145 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:25 pm
Nicely done thus far!
Many thanks!!

Got some more done tonight - I think the last of the PE is now on, the last bits on the roof and engine deck which I forgot to to a photo of and then work started on the rear wall of the fighting compartment:
Interestingly these hatches are built to be openable! Not sure why as there is no interior detailing (NOT inc. drive sprockets!!) And every other hatch is fitted in the closed position.... Very nice detailing though.
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:35 am
by digger303
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:58 pm
by RangerNeil
Few more hours work tonight. Rear is almost complete now:
And with the back wall of the fighting compartment in. Instructions showed it being fitted from the outside but it would not go in properly - but it dropped in nicely from inside - upper hull is only rested on hence the gap!!
The gun mount is in with the breech part of the barrel.
One of the things I really liked with this kit is it came with the option for a metal barrel. To use it you assemble the plastic barrel:
Then cut the front part off immediately in front of the shield mounts. Right now the barrel has been primed ready for fitting. Once in place the main gun will elevete, depress and traverse the same range of movement as the original.
Next job is paint then fit the barrel & shield. Then its wait for the tracks to arrive. Once the tracks are on and finished the upper and lower hulls can be joined, front plate & mantlet fitted, side skirts and a few small detail pieces and the build will be finished.
I did some research and found some camno schemes for Jagd Tigers in Normandy so once the vehicle is complete I will add the overlay(s).
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:33 pm
by RangerNeil
And now waiting for Friuhl to deliver the tracks. Upper hull, front of fighting compartment annd mantlet are just dry fit until the tracks go on.

Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:32 pm
by digger303
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:00 pm
by Garion77
Really nice job thus far ! can't wait to see the amount of work to complete those tracks !
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:22 am
by DRUMS01
Looks real nice so far... I love the extra details your adding. Are figures going to be in the mix?
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:08 pm
by RangerNeil
DRUMS01 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:22 am
Looks real nice so far... I love the extra details your adding. Are figures going to be in the mix?
I am thinking (a VERY dangerous thing) that these Tigers will be built more or less OOB and "factory fresh" as I've always wanted to have the set of 5 Tigers on display so the only figures will be those supplied with the kits as with the Elefant and King Tiger (still wotking on that one!).
However - whilst doing the research for the build I've seen some photos that have triggered the diorama alert so once the 5 display models are done I will do a couple more that are weathered and beaten with crew and extra figures...

!
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:40 am
by digger303
RangerNeil wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:08 pm
DRUMS01 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:22 am
Looks real nice so far... I love the extra details your adding. Are figures going to be in the mix?
I am thinking (a VERY dangerous thing) that these Tigers will be built more or less OOB and "factory fresh" as I've always wanted to have the set of 5 Tigers on display so the only figures will be those supplied with the kits as with the Elefant and King Tiger (still wotking on that one!).
However - whilst doing the research for the build I've seen some photos that have triggered the diorama alert so once the 5 display models are done I will do a couple more that are weathered and beaten with crew and extra figures...

!
Oh you might have triggered the need for me to do one too

Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:19 pm
by RangerNeil
digger303 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:40 am
RangerNeil wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:08 pm
DRUMS01 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:22 am
Looks real nice so far... I love the extra details your adding. Are figures going to be in the mix?
I am thinking (a VERY dangerous thing) that these Tigers will be built more or less OOB and "factory fresh" as I've always wanted to have the set of 5 Tigers on display so the only figures will be those supplied with the kits as with the Elefant and King Tiger (still wotking on that one!).
However - whilst doing the research for the build I've seen some photos that have triggered the diorama alert so once the 5 display models are done I will do a couple more that are weathered and beaten with crew and extra figures...

!
Oh you might have triggered the need for me to do one too
Good!!!!

Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:58 am
by RangerNeil
First of the Friuhl tracks is almost complete - the section seperate at gje bottom is only the major components joined to ensure the correct length.
This one has turned out to be an absolute pig of a job - the track is made in blocks of 3 links, each block consisting of 11 parts plus 4 pins:
And 3 out of 4 blocks when removed from the assembly jig will have at least one of those little links hanging loose, missed by the pin and thus needing the relevant pin teased back out far enough for pliers to grip and extract to allow the link that got missed to be pushed into place so that the pin can be returned.
Taken nearly 2 days to get this far. That seperate section now needs to be deconstructed and the link plates added so it can jointhe rest of that track - then I get to do it all over again!!
But it will be worth it!!
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:44 am
by Stokesy44
You have the patience of a saint. I took one look at the constituent parts photo and thought, nope, not for me!
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:14 am
by digger303
I feel for ya, that seems like a terrible task.

Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:16 am
by cor
That looks nice. Those tracks are pretty full on to build. Should look amazing when done.
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:37 am
by RangerNeil
Another day's work, one side completely finished and a little over half the second one. Had to cut another 60 pins - otherwise it might have been nearer ¾ of the second.
A thought occurred as to why those links kept missing the pins - I checked the little assembly jig Friuhl provides and it was warped, not flat. Luckily it's made of the same metal as the links so it's fairly soft and malleable thus easy to straighten. Now missed links are a rarity!!
What I am finding though, is impurities in the metal slightly harder than the body of the casting that's enough to deflect the 0.5mm drill bit. The answer seems to be put the main pieces on the jig and drill them there, the two sections stop the drill deflecting so badly. Maybe worth remembering if anyone else is going this route in future?
Of course - it doesn't help that the track link is actually longer than the drill!!!
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:51 am
by Stokesy44
This is an epic tale of triumph against adversity. Super effort given the obstacles thrown up by the imperfections in the product. I salute you.

Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:13 pm
by digger303
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:16 pm
by RangerNeil
Only if the word genius is spelt
I D I O T!!!!!


Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:16 am
by RangerNeil
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:50 pm
by RangerNeil
Adding this here but it covers 3 builds really.
Three sets of tracks all thoroughly scrubbed and now drying overnight ready for dunking tomorrow:
Front to rear:
Churchill
Sturm Tiger
Jagd Tiger

Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:01 am
by digger303
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:31 pm
by RangerNeil
So - all 3 sets of tracks have been through the Burnishing Fluid dunk tank - getting on for 30 minutes each.
Aaaand - as you can see - we have bright spots.
Again!!!
Each track length was scrubbed hard by tooth brush in VERY hot soapy water by holding a few links between the fingers and scrubbing thoroughly then indexing the links to the next few. Then they were thoroughly washed in clean water. Whilst in the fluid they were scrubbed again to agitate the fluid on the surfaces and crevices.
I hoped this would solve the issues I had with the King Tigers tracks. I was wrong. Admittedly it's not as bad but still all 3 sets are going to need extra work.
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:52 pm
by Garion77
Boy ! those tracks are a lot of work.
Ok, I never built a tank before. I know the burnishing is suppose to darken the tracks. But why does it need to be done ? could you just paint over a metal primer ?
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:40 am
by RangerNeil
Garion77 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:52 pm
Boy ! those tracks are a lot of work.
Ok, I never built a tank before. I know the burnishing is suppose to darken the tracks. But why does it need to be done ? could you just paint over a metal primer ?
The theory - as I understand it - is the burnishing fluid gives the tracks an all-over rusty look. How much depending on how long they sit in the fluid. I used these tracks when Friuhl was operated by the original guy - got them on a T34 and a ZSU-23/4 "Shilka" and it worked perfectly. Only reason unchanged where were the little blobs of CA hold the pins in. This batch from the new operators, though, has been prone to large areas of exposed track that don't change. I have my eyes on a FIREFLY to go with the Churchill so I may try what you suggest.
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:28 pm
by DRUMS01
Hey RangerNeil, I was thinking (dangerous)... based on what you are doing and the results, it appears that the problem might be in the casting material itself.
Have you tried any other brand of metal track and if so did it have the same results?
Seems to me that you did not have the spotting problem under the previous ownership, but every set with the new owners has had a similar fate.
Whatever it is, they still look much better than any of the rubber type or even the length and piece plastic assemblies.
Ben
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:17 pm
by aur0ra145
Interesting, I wonder if their metal formula changed at all.
Did you try different brands of burnishing fluids or just the Ultimate offering?
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:17 pm
by RangerNeil
I - think - (also highly dangerous) that white metal is white metal so the actual material should be OK. Plus they've only just come back on the market so I suspect they are using the OM's supply of raw white metal
What I think might have changed is the release agent for the moulds. It's getting the metal out of the moulds - but not coming off the metal. I really scrubbed these so they are nowhere near as bad as the King Tigers but still need work, mainly in the little recesses it's almost impossible to get the brush in. Hence why I thought a soak in Isopropyl Alcohol might help clean the parts up.
I still have a couple of Tiger 1's to do so I think I will try alternatives to both tracks and fluid, see how it goes.
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:10 pm
by aur0ra145
I'm very interested to see the results on future iterations. Definitely will be a good data point for people using these tracks in the future.
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:14 am
by RangerNeil
aur0ra145 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:10 pm
I'm very interested to see the results on future iterations. Definitely will be a good data point for people using these tracks in the future.
I've ordered some IPA to try a soak in that to see if it improves things. Will post results as I have a set of mid to late production Tiger 1 tracks still unboxed.
Should be interesting!!
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:00 am
by RangerNeil
Progress on the Jagd Tiger!!!
The tracks are on both sides and,if I do say it myself, they absolutely do look the dogs dangly bits!!
As a result the upper hull is now on together with the front of the fighting compartment. This gave the only real issue in the Takom build. With the front lined up there was a slight gap at the rear. Rear plate was against all the stops so hence the piece of string pulling things together over night.... (I didn't have a big enough clamp to run front to back)

Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:49 am
by Stokesy44
Its a proper monster when you see it put together.
Re: Tiger build #4 - Takom 1/35 Jagd Tiger (Porsche)
Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:23 pm
by RangerNeil