Page 1 of 1

F-105D Revell 1/48 Completed

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:40 am
by smokeriderdon
So, while I am waiting for the nozzle for my AB for the B-58, I decided to start this baby. Havent done one of these in a very long time. This is the Revell Tstick kit. But all of the Revells are reboxed Monogram. So, Monogram gets the high fives for the detail in this thing. The cock pit is spot on! The gauges and buttons on the control panel are totally accurate. The seat isnt bad, but not quite as good. The only AM i am planning on using is decals and wheels. And the wheels, which are beautiful, arent a huge upgade. Certainly more convenient as the hubs are separate pieces. Whic, as I have said before, should be a standard thing. The kit wheels are awesome.

Image

Image

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:28 am
by aur0ra145
Nice start! Gotta love the F-105 :cheers2:

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:41 pm
by smokeriderdon
Main parts together and seam work done. Primed flat black. Will check seams and go from there.

Image

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:07 am
by digger303
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:55 am
by DRUMS01
Great workhorse in the Century series of aircraft. I built this several decades ago and like it very much (at the time). I think it was one of Revell / Monograms better aircraft kits of the period. If you never built it I would also recommend the F-106 Delta Dart.

It looks kind of sinister in black though I know your camouflage will really make it stand out. Keep up the great work...

Ben

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:22 am
by smokeriderdon
OK, up to painting. The light gray underside done. Masked that off and sprayed the dark tan first in the general pattern. Next, I do Med Green, also in the general pattern.

Image

Image

Now, I will let those set fully then mask to spray the dark green. Once I do that, Ill pull all the masking and see where I screwed up and fix it. LOL

And my modeling assistants doing their vital duties.

Image

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:25 pm
by digger303
A man with a plan.... :D and the pets aren't interested as long as the food tray is full :lol:
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:20 pm
by smokeriderdon
digger303 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:25 pm A man with a plan.... :D and the pets aren't interested as long as the food tray is full :lol:
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
I have found this procedure for the SEA camo works best for me.

And yeah, they lay under the bench all fat and happy. LOL

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:11 am
by DRUMS01
Looking super so far, great coloring...

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:30 am
by smokeriderdon
DRUMS01 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:11 am Looking super so far, great coloring...
Thank you sir. :)

All the colors on. Some tweeking to do then on to the decals.

Image

Image

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:25 pm
by Elve1984
Nice looking Thud, love that SEA camo.

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:37 pm
by smokeriderdon
Elve1984 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:25 pm Nice looking Thud, love that SEA camo.
Thank you sir.

Well, I got to the decaling point and realized that the AM decals I have are for F and G models. :bash: So I am going to get the Cherry Girl markings set and continue when those get here.

Image

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:38 pm
by smokeriderdon
So, after checking out the Caracal sheet, and after my own OCD kicked in, I decided to indeed go with the kit decals. The few builds of this I have seen all went the Texas bird, so I decide to go with the Sam Jackson (MF, get it? 😉 LOL) markings. Left side done.

I have to say, the decals are very nice and Revell struck a good balance between having some detail markings but NOT having every little warning marking ever put on the plane. LOL

Image

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:56 pm
by smokeriderdon
All dirtied up. Exhaust is on and legs going on. And I am having issues with the nose cone of all things. It is NOT the right size and the shape is off a hair. SMH.

Image

Image

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:04 pm
by DRUMS01
continues to look good!

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:44 pm
by smokeriderdon
DRUMS01 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:04 pm continues to look good!
Thank you sir. :)

Well, its done but for the nose cone and canopy decals. I decided I would order the Reskit nose for the Hobby Boss kit and see if I can make it work. The size difference of the kit nose is just stupid.

Image

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48 COMPLETED

Posted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:05 am
by smokeriderdon
OK, I got the Reskit nose cone today. It is made for the HB kit, but I gave it a go anyway. And it absolutely works for the Monogram/Revell kit! Need to do a little sanding and cut the protuberance on the underside of the fuselage off. Trim the tabs meant for the HB fuselage, and you have a minor gap to fill due to a notch, but its no biggy. Im pretty sure it would have been even easier if I had been doing it on a NOT completed model I had to be really careful with.

Image

Image

So absolutely I will be buying several of these for future 105 builds.

And here she is. I am VERY happy with this one. Only other thing I will get next time are metal landing gears. The plastic ones bend far too easily as you can clearly see in the nose on pic.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48 Completed

Posted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:41 am
by digger303
Come up well.
:clap: :clap:
:cheers2:

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48 Completed

Posted: Tue May 07, 2024 9:41 pm
by DRUMS01
Nice work and wonderful camouflage.

:banana:

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48 Completed

Posted: Thu May 09, 2024 11:02 am
by Quax
She’s a beauty! :clap: :clap:

Paul

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48 Completed

Posted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:15 am
by Garion77
Beautiful paint job on a beautiful plane. Nice work ! The transition between each color is nicely done.

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48 Completed

Posted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:52 pm
by smokeriderdon
Thanks gentlemen. :)

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48 Completed

Posted: Fri May 10, 2024 10:54 pm
by BigWall
Nice build! The paint work looks awesome

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48 Completed

Posted: Sat May 11, 2024 8:11 am
by Tomcat64
Lovely work - the paint job is really eye-catching :th:

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48 Completed

Posted: Sat May 11, 2024 6:40 pm
by RangerNeil
Very lovely job!! :cheers2: :cheers2:

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48 Completed

Posted: Wed May 15, 2024 2:18 pm
by Elve1984
Nice one! she looks stunning

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48 Completed

Posted: Wed May 15, 2024 3:06 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Nicely done, she finished off well :th:
:banana:

Re: F-105D Revell 1/48 Completed

Posted: Wed May 15, 2024 3:12 pm
by smokeriderdon
Thanks guys. :)

I am happier with this one than I was with the last few I have done. LOL