Page 1 of 1

Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2024 6:58 pm
by Kevthemodeller
I've had this kit a few months now, ordered it not long after I bought the real version in June 23.

I'm going to build the Triple version which is the same as my bike.
Image
Although there are some slight differences between my bike and the kit, it being a 2019 - 2020 my bike is the last of the R1250 GSA model a 2023.
The kit box is huge and rammed, it's going keep me busy over Christmas, New Year and beyond :th:
Image
Image
Image
There are 24 main frame sprues and 27 other various items/parts tyres, springs, screws, decals etc.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
The instruction manual is both in colour and pretty good :th:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
The Panniers although in the kit instructions have to be brought separately
Image
Image
Five models can be built from the kit
Image
Image
Image

Although nicely moulded there's mould lines on every part to clean up. Front tele lever/shock needs to be painted before assembly.
Image
Engine casings fit very well you could get away without using any glue!
Image
The spin on oil filter needs painting before fitting to the engine block.
Image
Image
The wheels look complicated but are really well made just a little flimsy, they require a lot of mould line cleaning up. This is the front.
Image

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2024 7:34 pm
by Stokesy44
Blimey. You've got your hands full there Kev

Image

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2024 10:00 pm
by barryf1fan
Image

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2024 10:11 pm
by cor
Those meng bikes look really good. And with the real thing in the garage it should be extra awesome. They also do a bunch of sexy lady riders for this series....just sayin

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2024 10:15 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Cool!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:
I have a couple Meng kits, but have not made any of them yet
Interested to see how this goes together. Awesome you can make your own bike's version :th:

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2024 10:20 am
by Kevthemodeller
Stokesy44 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2024 7:34 pm Blimey. You've got your hands full there Kev

Image
Having now taken a really good detailed look at the kit. It's not that complicated, it's not Tamiya quality but it's very well engineered i.e. it all fits very well and as mentioned I'd say 80% plus can be assembled without glue . Just about every part requires mould line clean up and they've go for everything working suspension wise. In doing so this means you can't fully assemble the shock bodies, clean up the joints before painting. Same goes for the spoke wheels, as cleaver as they are the spokes are joined to the rim which is a different colour to the spokes. Unlike Tamiya's Africa Twin (which will be my next build) where the spokes are joined to the hub and inserted separately into the rim so can be painted easily. I'm currently looking at what method I going to use to paint them.
barryf1fan wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2024 10:00 pm Image

:th: :cheers2:
cor wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2024 10:11 pm Those meng bikes look really good. And with the real thing in the garage it should be extra awesome. They also do a bunch of sexy lady riders for this series....just sayin
It's a nice kit, the work with Wing Nut Wings has most certainly paid off. :th: Lady riders? :think:
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2024 10:15 pm Cool!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:
I have a couple Meng kits, but have not made any of them yet
Interested to see how this goes together. Awesome you can make your own bike's version :th:

Same here mostly armour and a Tri plane, I have made their Leopard 2 kit which was also a nice kit.

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2024 12:28 pm
by digger303
Tedious clean up if the mold line can be seen on those intricate parts.

:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2024 8:05 am
by Stokesy44
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2024 10:15 pm Cool!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:
I have a couple Meng kits, but have not made any of them yet
Interested to see how this goes together. Awesome you can make your own bike's version :th:
Imagine Tamiya quality plastic but with Dragon quality instructions. That's Meng to a tee :o

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2024 1:26 pm
by cor
Meng make a whole series of girl bike riders for these bike

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?f ... +hot+rider

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2025 6:10 pm
by Kevthemodeller
digger303 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2024 12:28 pm Tedious clean up if the mold line can be seen on those intricate parts.

:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
You are not kidding :wall: every and I mean every part has got them, Tamiya quality this kit is not.

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2025 6:14 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Stokesy44 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2024 8:05 am Imagine Tamiya quality plastic but with Dragon quality instructions. That's Meng to a tee :o
I have to say the instructions are okay, well they're for me. The mounding I wouldn't say is as good as Tamiya but it's close, the mould lines are a right pain and the plastic it's self is softish it does like sanding or scraping. Too much is very easily taken off, rounds become flattened very quickly.

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2025 6:38 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Never got a chance over Christmas to get time on the bench, been making up for it last and this week. Believe it or not to get this far has taken almost 10 days and 4 hours per day! The kit is really a load of sub-assemblies, front end, engine, rear end, wheels etc, the latter have been a right pain! Unlike Tamiya where the spokes are separate from the hub/rims these aren't, it's a cleaver design for assembly but it's very difficult to paint them. The inner and outer rims are either, black or gold depending on what version you opt for, the spokes are polished stainless. Because the spokes are moulded to the hubs it's proved extremely difficult to mask/paint them. I tried hubs first, then spokes, it's impossible to stop over spray to either, masking well you can't get to the very bottom as the spokes are angled. Tried masking fluid, very difficult to get the stuff off and broke spokes trying, so abandoned that idea. Opted for hand painting but you just can't get the quality of finish of Allcad without an airbrush. Used Molotow liquid chrome which hasn't worked, I think the stuffs gone off or something, and it's reacted with the Allcad I'd put on before :wall: the rear (on the left) is most affected. I'm faced with a complete strip of the soke assemblies or just leave them :think:

Some parts still need work not with standing the above.
Imager

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2025 9:19 am
by Mpfiend
Kev,
Looks like you have made decent progress with this so far, I have a couple of these in my stash to build and I have been pondering the spoke issues.
There are a few builds online (You Tube) where the builder has replaced the spokes with stainless wire or Entomological pins (for mounting butterflies or insects).
The process doesn't look too tricky to achieve a decent result and with the pins being stainless they don't need paint.
Hope you don't mind me inserting this link here?


Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2025 1:36 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Mpfiend wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2025 9:19 am The process doesn't look too tricky to achieve a decent result and with the pins being stainless they don't need paint.
Hope you don't mind me inserting this link here?
I have seen this and the others that are on Youtube. I wanted to build this as is from the box, with minimal modifications except the odd brake line etc :th: I think I've found away of making it work much better on the spokes, watch this space ;)

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2025 1:56 pm
by digger303
Kevthemodeller wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2025 6:38 pm Never got a chance over Christmas to get time on the bench, been making up for it last and this week. Believe it or not to get this far has taken almost 10 days and 4 hours per day! The kit is really a load of sub-assemblies, front end, engine, rear end, wheels etc, the latter have been a right pain! Unlike Tamiya where the spokes are separate from the hub/rims these aren't, it's a cleaver design for assembly but it's very difficult to paint them. The inner and outer rims are either, black or gold depending on what version you opt for, the spokes are polished stainless. Because the spokes are moulded to the hubs it's proved extremely difficult to mask/paint them. I tried hubs first, then spokes, it's impossible to stop over spray to either, masking well you can't get to the very bottom as the spokes are angled. Tried masking fluid, very difficult to get the stuff off and broke spokes trying, so abandoned that idea. Opted for hand painting but you just can't get the quality of finish of Allcad without an airbrush. Used Molotow liquid chrome which hasn't worked, I think the stuffs gone off or something, and it's reacted with the Allcad I'd put on before :wall: the rear (on the left) is most affected. I'm faced with a complete strip of the soke assemblies or just leave them :think:

Some parts still need work not with standing the above.
Imager
Yeah I threw my Molotow out as it seemed to age and just wouldn't shine like it used to.
Very good build so far though.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2025 3:08 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
:pop:

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2025 4:23 pm
by Kevthemodeller
digger303 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2025 1:56 pm Yeah I threw my Molotow out as it seemed to age and just wouldn't shine like it used to.
Very good build so far though.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
I've thinned mine with lacquer thinner, I'll give it another go see what happens :think:

:cheers2:

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2025 5:12 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Okay I've sorted the wheels out, not as good as I'd like. But without replacing the spokes with wire they can't really be improved on much more, the risk of breaking them is too high.

Wheels stripped
Image
Repainted
Image
Assembled
Image
Image
Image

Word of warning. If anyone has this kit and has still to build, whatever you do DONT use this.
Image
It's made of monkey metal as are the screws, most of the holes are tight and this thing will either destroy it's self and/or the screw/s. I used it just once and it almost destroyed the screw, if you zoom in you can see the head is buggered already the screw was barely half way in! I used a quality watchmakers driver, that said the ones you get with Tamiya bikes kits works fine too. Just be careful the screws are like butter :wtf:

Engine block and front wish bone and shock. The bolts have been cleaned up now done after I took the picture as I wasn't happy.
Image
This picture shows some of the limits of the engineering of parts of the kit. The way the shock body has the be assembled prevents getting rid of the join post painting as you can't reach the lower half and the risk of damaged to the paint of the spring or over painting is really high and just not worth the effort. I did toy with modifying it but you can't really see it once the bike is assembled, possibly why MENG didn't worry about it.

Front end, some painting is still to do on the stanchion tops.
Image

Rear shock, same applies to this as the front.
Image

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2025 8:34 pm
by SteelScooter
Nice work. They do a pre painted version of this kit that is supposedly possible to build without glue which is why some of the engineering is a little 'different'. :)

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2025 9:17 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Monkey metal :think:
aka Chineesium??

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2025 11:07 pm
by digger303
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2025 9:17 pm Monkey metal :think:
aka Chineesium??
Well before the Chineses got involved, also known as Pot Metal.
Automobile factories would melt scrap metal in a pot to create cast products. Aluminium and usually a higher lead content I believe.

:cheers2:

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2025 5:17 am
by cor
Its looking good so far. I'd like to build one of their 1/9 bikes with the girl rider for eye candy value.

Meng are a bit hit and miss with their modern kits. Ive been building their 1/12 MP4/4 F1 car. Some parts are really nicely detailed, while other entire assemblies end up with exposed screws and over-size blocky bits where removable bits line up. Very toy like and require a lot of work to get some realism happening. I feel that Tamiyas 1970 designed F1 cars are superior to Mengs 2017 F1 car.

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2025 6:14 pm
by Kevthemodeller
SteelScooter wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2025 8:34 pm Nice work. They do a pre painted version of this kit that is supposedly possible to build without glue which is why some of the engineering is a little 'different'. :)
Yes they do and the kit are identical except for paint. The fit is good too good, especially when using Alcald and alike. You can't really dry fit anything, if you do you're going to struggle getting it apart. All areas that have been painted and need to be mated together, need the paint removing or they just won't fit without serious force. You need still need quite a bit with the paint removed and a lot of care has to be taken or the Alclad finishes are damaged :wall:

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2025 6:16 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2025 9:17 pm Monkey metal :think:
aka Chineesium??
Just cheap soft metal :roll:

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2025 6:24 pm
by Kevthemodeller
digger303 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2025 11:07 pm
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2025 9:17 pm Monkey metal :think:
aka Chineesium??
Well before the Chineses got involved, also known as Pot Metal.
Automobile factories would melt scrap metal in a pot to create cast products. Aluminium and usually a higher lead content I believe.

:cheers2:
It was called Mazak (Zamak) used a lot on model trains of the 50's - 70's mainly zinc and copper alloy, no lead as far as I know. It degrades over time and expands or crumbles. These screws are just cheap alloy.

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2025 6:26 pm
by Kevthemodeller
cor wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2025 5:17 am Its looking good so far. I'd like to build one of their 1/9 bikes with the girl rider for eye candy value.

Meng are a bit hit and miss with their modern kits. Ive been building their 1/12 MP4/4 F1 car. Some parts are really nicely detailed, while other entire assemblies end up with exposed screws and over-size blocky bits where removable bits line up. Very toy like and require a lot of work to get some realism happening. I feel that Tamiyas 1970 designed F1 cars are superior to Mengs 2017 F1 car.
Thanks Cor :cheers2:

Yes the kit is nice but doesn't really lend it's self to bringing up to what can be achieved with Tamiya kits.

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2025 6:46 pm
by Kevthemodeller
I've been busy, doesn't look like much but this is hours and hours of work. The same cleaning and fit/finish issues as out lined before, plus having to remove all paint from mating surfaces and protect finishes when fitting parts, it's very time consuming, hard work really.

Paralever
Image
Image
Paralever, Headlight assembly, Frame, Battery and box, Front calipers, Riders foot pegs, Riders heel plates, Oil filter.
Image

The bike lives, sub assemblies become one bike :th:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2025 11:09 pm
by digger303
Very very nice.
:th: :th: :banana:
:cheers2:

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2025 2:13 am
by DRUMS01
Considering the hit and miss of the kit, this is turning out real nice. I'm sure it's in part to you're wonderful modeling skills. :cheers2:

From one two wheel rider to another.

Ben

P.S.: My brother has three of these 1:1 models each one about 10-20 years apart; R80GS Red and White Dakar, R1150GS white with red/blue stripes and red seat, and R1200GS very pretty blue, and all Amazing brutes. Your 1:1 looks amazing, the black makes it look sinister!

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2025 10:52 am
by Kevthemodeller
digger303 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2025 11:09 pm Very very nice.
:th: :th: :banana:
:cheers2:
:cheers2:

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2025 11:11 am
by Kevthemodeller
DRUMS01 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2025 2:13 am Considering the hit and miss of the kit, this is turning out real nice. I'm sure it's in part to you're wonderful modeling skills. :cheers2:
Thanks mate, I do my best and still on a relearning curve after my 3 year break :cheers2:
DRUMS01 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2025 2:13 am From one two wheel rider to another.
What to you ride Ben?

DRUMS01 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2025 2:13 am P.S.: My brother has three of these 1:1 models each one about 10-20 years apart; R80GS Red and White Dakar, R1150GS white with red/blue stripes and red seat, and R1200GS very pretty blue, and all Amazing brutes. Your 1:1 looks amazing, the black makes it look sinister!
I'm very new to BMWs, this being my first. I've always had big capacity Jap sports bikes about 40 of them at the last count. The current bike is a completely different bike to anything I've ever had. It's physically huge, but rides effortlessly does everything extremely well. I never understood why such a big bike so so popular, it's not fast by bike standards, until I test rode one. If you've not ridden one, go ride one. 8-) :D

I've been riding since I was 16, never without a bike so no lay offs or X years without a bike. Those are what we would call "a born again biker" here in the UK, rode in their late teens etc and 30 plus years off start riding again at 40 something plus, many sadly come a cropper very quickly. Motorcycling is sadly slowly but surely dying, too difficult and very expensive to get a licence and insurance and greedy dealerships puts off many younger riders these days. A real shame great older (5 year plus) bikes can be had for very little money these days. Strangely the only growth in motorcycling is lady bikers, about 20% are now ladies which is a good thing. :thumb1:

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2025 3:30 pm
by DRUMS01
Kev,

Like you I've been riding since my pre-teens. I started with a Yamaha YZ-125 Mono- shock dirt bike. Living out in the country I still used it for riding on the road. Back then I also used my fathers Honda 350 scrambler (road legal). The I got a Yamaha SR500 big single and highly modified it with a Lockhart oil cooler, pushed it out to 600cc, hot cam, flat side carb, quarter turn throttle, racing front and rear suspension, white brothers exhaust with super trap diffusers, Shoei bullet fairing and the entire bike was custom painted Ferrari red, etc. etc. From 0-60 it would keep up with anything on the road. Next I rode a Yamaha Seca 650 turbo. I could go on, but currently I have a Yamaha FZ1000 with a custom matching sidecar and a special order Harley Dyna bobber 103 cu. in. 6 speed that I tried to make look like an older classic but still have performance upgrades, tan leather, etc.

Image

Image

Enough about our 1:1, please show us more on this build....

Ben

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2025 6:34 pm
by Kevthemodeller
DRUMS01 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2025 3:30 pm Kev,

Like you I've been riding since my pre-teens. I started with a Yamaha YZ-125 Mono- shock dirt bike. Living out in the country I still used it for riding on the road. Back then I also used my fathers Honda 350 scrambler (road legal). The I got a Yamaha SR500 big single and highly modified it with a Lockhart oil cooler, pushed it out to 600cc, hot cam, flat side carb, quarter turn throttle, racing front and rear suspension, white brothers exhaust with super trap diffusers, Shoei bullet fairing and the entire bike was custom painted Ferrari red, etc. etc. From 0-60 it would keep up with anything on the road. Next I rode a Yamaha Seca 650 turbo. I could go on, but currently I have a Yamaha FZ1000 with a custom matching sidecar and a special order Harley Dyna bobber 103 cu. in. 6 speed that I tried to make look like an older classic but still have performance upgrades, tan leather, etc.

Image

Image

Enough about our 1:1, please show us more on this build....

Ben
Great bikes Ben :th: I had the 750 Seca shaft drive.

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2025 7:05 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Things have been moving on nicely, well as good as they can. The snap together fit and the mould lines are still causing a great deal of extra work, trying to protect the metallic and the moulded finishes. These parts really are very tight tolerance even interference fit. The kit is really showing it's been made as a repainted desk model rather than a detailed assembly kit, don't get me wrong it's a nice kit but it's not what I was expecting. I was going to throw some real heavy detail at it, but I've decided not too, it's just too toy like for me, it will look fine I'm sure but there's too many areas that I can't finish as I'd like. So I'm saving all the bling for the next bike kit :th:
Rear sub frame and mug guard
Image
Rear sub frame attachments
Image
Image
Radiators
Image
Barrels, cylinder heads
Image
Exhaust
Image
Image
Image
It's coming together
Image

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2025 3:55 am
by cor
Those pipes look good. What did you hit them with? The two into one unit.

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2025 9:55 am
by Kevthemodeller
cor wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2025 3:55 am Those pipes look good. What did you hit them with? The two into one unit.
Alclad II black base & chrome mate :th:

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2025 2:54 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Last few days updates
Image
Image
Image
Forgot to put the hand grips in the photo :doh:
Image

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2025 6:26 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Another up date :th:
Image
Image
Here's an example of the mould lines that are on just about every part, exactly where they shouldn't be and for ruins the kits and makes it toy like :( if you scrap these lines the surface gets badly marked due to the soft plastic they've used.
Image
Really pleased with how the black firing and tank cover come out, that is just Tamiya LP, no clear :banana:
Image
:cheers2:

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2025 11:18 pm
by digger303
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2025 7:52 am
by Stokesy44
Beautiful work. Just speed read the thread to catch up. Fantastic stuff :clap: :clap:

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2025 9:26 am
by Kevthemodeller
digger303 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2025 11:18 pm :th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
Stokesy44 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2025 7:52 am Beautiful work. Just speed read the thread to catch up. Fantastic stuff :clap: :clap:
:cheers2: Fellas

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2025 10:05 am
by Kevthemodeller
Last few days of updates
Started the final stages of the build now, decals are going on, these aren't the best. The surface finish is poor, marked and dull tried to polish them but no joy, was forced to use a clear coat in the end. Just another area where Meng are cutting corners.Image
Crash bars and rear carrier. these were a real bugger to clear all the mould lines :wall:
Image
This is an example of what happens to the surface finish because of the push fit being so tight it's often interference fit and damage occurs :wtf:
Image
The screws and where they are placed also cause surface damage, even using my smaller screw driver, the kit supplied one wouldn't get even close. A mixture of crap screws,they really are just cheese, angles, depth etc :wall: Image
Both sides Image

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2025 11:27 am
by cor
Meng - so close yet so far.

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2025 11:52 am
by Kevthemodeller
cor wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2025 11:27 am Meng - so close yet so far.
Yep

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2025 4:35 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Bike its self is now finished, but not completed until I've got the luggage frames and luggage built.
Image
I could just fit the rear luggage frames as the bike is most of the time. But the side mounting frames aren't as they are in life, i.e. the mounting points for the side panniers are very toy like.
Image
Sadly some very bad engineering fit issues with the seat/s. Both are held on/positioned by pegs that are either in the frame or part of the rear cover plate, the points are non adjustable. The front seat fits albeit very tightly, that's more of the push fit tolerances, both seats have corresponding location points and again these are non adjustable. The rear seat point/pins don't align, they're roughly half a hole out! The seat is setting on top of the pins and is too high, yes I could cut them off, or drill out the holes larger, but I shouldn't have to :( This is the final nail in the coffin for me with this kit :bash:
Image
Image
Image
Image

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2025 6:27 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Luggage, you can see all the push fits, these have all been slightly or totally interference fits, some you can take a chance and use some extra thin as a lub. But if they don't fit you're in trouble :wall:
Image
Image
As per all the other push fits. These wouldn't fit either, every hole had have the paint cleared and/or opened up. You also can't assemble them as per the instructions, which tell you to fit the frames and then the cases/locks.
Image
The marks you can see is the damage done while trying to fit/remove and modify the holes.
Image
Firstly the push fits are way too tight and you'd damage/break the frames, secondly the locks, sorry I for got to take a picture of these painted. They are hook shaped that fit into the 2 slots on the back of the pannier boxes and hook around the frame see below arrowed. One fits at the from and the other at the rear, you can't get these in with the panniers in place. They only way to ensure no damage and utter frustration is the remove the racks, fit them to the racks, then fit the whole thing. :th:
Oh and a screw was missing, it being replaced with a really odd one from who knows where, that's what came in the bag :wtf: Plus an extra one and a half disc pins, would have rather had the screw :th: a quality control issue here ;)
Image
Image
Calling this done now
Image
Many thanks for looking in :th: :cheers2:

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2025 11:24 pm
by digger303
Certainly a set of horrible problems, but the finish article says you coped and won.

:bow:: :bow:: :bow::
:cheers2:

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2025 4:54 am
by cor
Yes it looks great, but so much pain from Meng. I have a Meng 1/12 F1 car that is the same, issues everywhere, but if time taken to fix will end up nice.
Good job. and a nice large bike for your shelf.

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2025 7:48 am
by Stokesy44
A troubled build but a triumphant finish. Disappointing from Meng but a great result. Well done mate :clap: :clap: :clap:

Re: Meng BMW R1250 GS ADV

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2025 5:23 pm
by Kevthemodeller
digger303 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2025 11:24 pm Certainly a set of horrible problems, but the finish article says you coped and won.

:bow:: :bow:: :bow::
:cheers2:
cor wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2025 4:54 am Yes it looks great, but so much pain from Meng. I have a Meng 1/12 F1 car that is the same, issues everywhere, but if time taken to fix will end up nice.
Good job. and a nice large bike for your shelf.
Stokesy44 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2025 7:48 am A troubled build but a triumphant finish. Disappointing from Meng but a great result. Well done mate :clap: :clap: :clap:
:cheers2: fellas, thank you for your kind words.