Page 1 of 1

The #48in48 Challenge - Hasegawa Saab Draaken

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2025 10:10 pm
by RangerNeil
Its 20:00 hrs on 14/3/25 and the UK arm of the 2025 #48in48 challenge has kicked off.
My entry is the Hasegawa releases of the Saab J35 F Draaken in Swedish livery.
At the start we have:
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Phase 1 is the cockpit interior - I debated when I got the kit whether to go for the 3D interior decals - decided not to as the decals provided looked OK. Now regretting that decision as they refuse to conform to the surfaces - and the instrument panel ones are over-size.... :( Just about to apply 3rd dose of Microsol.
Image

Re: The #48in48 Challenge - Hasegawa Saab Draaken

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2025 12:03 am
by digger303
Yes you might have to go with something a bit stronger than microsol.
Best of luck with the 48hr thing.

:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: The #48in48 Challenge - Hasegawa Saab Draaken

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2025 12:29 am
by RangerNeil
#48in48 Update #1 - Time 00:20 Sat 15/3/25

Required holes drilled in lower fuselage half - 2x 2mm and 8 x 1mm.
Image

Fuselage halves dry fit to make sure the nose cone aligns.
Image

Nose weighted with liquid gravity and CA.
Image

Cockpit complete less ejection seat (instructions call for it to be fitted in final step).
Undercarriage wheels assembled, waiting for the Contacta to set and then sanding.
Exhaust nozzle partially assembled and painted with Ammo Mig "Jet Exhaust". Needs a little dry brush on the inner face to highlight the details then it can be finally assembled
Image

Image

I'm 4 hours in and need a coffee and nibbles. Work will resume at 01:30 hrs.
digger303 wrote: Sat Mar 15, 2025 12:03 am Yes you might have to go with something a bit stronger than microsol.
Best of luck with the 48hr thing.

:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
Cheers Digger. 4th dose of Microsol did the trick. I reckon I'm going to need all the luck I can get!! :)

Re: The #48in48 Challenge - Hasegawa Saab Draaken

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2025 3:47 am
by RangerNeil
#48in48 Update #2 04:00 hrs 15/3/25
Image

Everything now primed. As soon as its all dry the big build can commence.... :lol:

4 more hours till breakfast - can I last that long?......

Re: The #48in48 Challenge - Hasegawa Saab Draaken

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2025 9:52 am
by RangerNeil
#48in48 Update #3 06:30 Hrs 15/3/26
The main build is complete - up to stage 5 on the instruction sheet. With all the faffing over the cockpit decals I expected to be behind schedule. Badly. Instead I'm more or less on tracks because its gone together WITHOUT ANY NEED FOR FILLER!!! The first time I've ever had this
Image

Image

Image

So I'm taking a break now for bacon banjo's and a few zzz's. Work will resume at 10:00.

Re: The #48in48 Challenge - Hasegawa Saab Draaken

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2025 12:43 am
by RangerNeil
#48in48 Update #4 14:00 Hrs 15/3/25

Most of the assembly is complete - just the undercarriage to do - all 4!! Top base colour has gone on.
Image

Colour has gone on small parts.
Image

Image

Leaving the green to dry for a while before masking for the blue overlay and underside colour.
In the mean time I found a small bag of 1/48 jet pilot figures so ones being painted up although I'm not sure if he'll fit yet...... :)
Image

Re: The #48in48 Challenge - Hasegawa Saab Draaken

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2025 12:57 am
by digger303
RangerNeil wrote: Sat Mar 15, 2025 9:52 am #48in48 Update #3 06:30 Hrs 15/3/26
The main build is complete - up to stage 5 on the instruction sheet. With all the faffing over the cockpit decals I expected to be behind schedule. Badly. Instead I'm more or less on tracks because its gone together WITHOUT ANY NEED FOR FILLER!!! The first time I've ever had this
Sheer Luxury Lad :whistle: :lol:

:cheers2:

Re: The #48in48 Challenge - Hasegawa Saab Draaken

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2025 12:59 am
by RangerNeil
#48in48 Update #5 00:30 Hrs 16/3/25 - 19.5 hours remaining.
Underside paint is on.
Image

Upper surfaces are masked off for the cammo overlay.
Image

Image

And the dark blue cammo overlay is on.
Image

Image

Image

Leaving this to dry for a few hours then there are silver edgings on the outer leading wing edges and leading edge of the rudder, wheel wells and main belly to be added.
Then a coat of gloss varnish followed by decals.
I might - just - make the 48 hour deadline.

Re: The #48in48 Challenge - Hasegawa Saab Draaken

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2025 1:54 am
by digger303
Fingers crossed. Waiting for varnish to dry though might be a sticker.

Re: The #48in48 Challenge - Hasegawa Saab Draaken

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2025 1:55 am
by digger303
Internet got me again with a double post :wall:

Re: The #48in48 Challenge - Hasegawa Saab Draaken

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2025 10:34 am
by RangerNeil
#48in48 Update #6 09:00 Hr 16/3/25. 11 Hours remaining.

Everything bar the missile pylons is now on. Just got to add one band of colour around the intakes and hen its time for a coat of gloss varnish prior to decalling it. Got the heating on so the gloss should dry in about an hour.
Image

Image

Stopped for bacon banjos and coffee and a quick snooze ar thecmomentas I've been on the go all night...
digger303 wrote: Sun Mar 16, 2025 1:54 am Fingers crossed. Waiting for varnish to dry though might be a sticker.
Fingers crossed indeed mate - getting close to the crunch time!!! :?

Re: The #48in48 Challenge - Hasegawa Saab Draaken

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2025 12:39 pm
by DBMiller
Great choice. I've always loved the look of this plane but never managed to buy one. Good luck!

Wait, is this 48 hours? :jd: For me the challenge would need to be 48 months!

Re: The #48in48 Challenge - Hasegawa Saab Draaken

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2025 8:07 pm
by RangerNeil
*** FINAL UPDATE @ 19:57 Hrs, 16/3/25 ***

Mission completed with 3 minutes left on the clock!!!
Image

Image

Image

Image

All I want now is a hot meal and then bed. Been on the go since 20:00 Hrs on the 14th.and I am knackered. Definitely getting too old for this kind of caper,... :lol:

Re: The #48in48 Challenge - Hasegawa Saab Draaken

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2025 8:17 pm
by DBMiller
Impressive build and determination!

Re: The #48in48 Challenge - Hasegawa Saab Draaken

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2025 10:58 pm
by digger303
Well done got it done with determination and it even looks very very good.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
:cheers2:

Re: The #48in48 Challenge - Hasegawa Saab Draaken

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2025 4:20 pm
by RangerNeil
Thanks guys!! The choice of kit helped greatly - no filler was required and only a little sanding. Mainly due to micro flash on the edges. Even so I only had 3 mins left on the clock! :) A close run thing. :)
I'd recommend the kit to anyone with an interest in Saab jets Swedish A/F or odd designs. Going to be interesting to see how the about to be reased JetMads Draaken compares.

Re: The #48in48 Challenge - Hasegawa Saab Draaken

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2025 1:09 pm
by Elve1984
Great build, nice achievment in 48 hours.

Re: The #48in48 Challenge - Hasegawa Saab Draaken

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2025 2:00 pm
by RangerNeil
Elve1984 wrote: Fri Mar 21, 2025 1:09 pm Great build, nice achievment in 48 hours.
Thank you :)

Re: The #48in48 Challenge - Hasegawa Saab Draaken

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2025 8:01 am
by Kevthemodeller
Very nice :banana: Hasegawa do make some nice and interesting kits, which makes for enjoyable builds :th: