Page 1 of 1

Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Sun May 04, 2025 10:00 pm
by RangerNeil
I seem to be in an armour mode at the moment so - next on the build list is the Airfix 1/35 release of the Cromwell Mk VI.
Image

I suspect this is a reboxing of someone elses release - possibly Academy? - as it doesn't feel like a typical Airfix product. Open to correction here. :) Certainly everthing is crisply moulded, no flash and minimal seam lines.

Anyways on to the kit!
Instructions
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Sprues
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Decals & PE
Image

Now - first stage of building...... hull inner sides, lower front and rear plate and braces all in place. All parts were a lovely tight fit that clicked together - could probably have got away with out adhesive at this level!
Image

Next step is the suspension arms and outer hull sides. I wasn't sure how much could be seen once inside so the whole interior got a coat of Tamiya Olive Drab.
Image

End of play today saw the build this far - Steps 1 to 4 are completed.
Image

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Mon May 05, 2025 6:37 am
by Stokesy44
Nice subject and off to a good start.

Agree your comments about the origins of the kit. Airfix have a slew of 1/35 kits suddenly on their books, pretty sure they contain zero Airfix DNA. Academy, as you say, are a likely suspect.... :think:

Be interesting to see how it goes together.

Link and length tracks - lucky boy if they look good.

I had a Tamiya 1/35 Comet in my sights recently when I was looking at a British subject to build but couldn't decide between it and an Archer TD. In the end I did what I always do. I bought neither and got annoyed with myself :wall:

Happy to watch along :pop:

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Tue May 06, 2025 12:19 am
by RangerNeil
On hold for a few days - I've run out of Olive Drab!! Doh! :shifty:
Got the wheels painted ready for assembly and thats it. Paints ordered, should be here 8th/9th of the month.....

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Tue May 06, 2025 1:32 am
by DRUMS01
Neat looking vehicle, should turn out to be a nice addition.

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Fri May 09, 2025 12:50 am
by RangerNeil
DRUMS01 wrote: Tue May 06, 2025 1:32 am Neat looking vehicle, should turn out to be a nice addition.
Thanks for the vote of confidence!! :th:

Lower hull is now complete to instructions level:
Image

Image

And work starts on the upper hull (should be the tracks next but I'm leaving them till later). The upper hull deck was warped so, in the best possible tradition of being me its all.clamped up... :lol:
Image

First two bits of PE are on. Next two bits - I think - get stuck on top of these making a T section....
Image

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Fri May 09, 2025 7:09 am
by Stokesy44
Blimey, someone's not hanging about! :crazy:

What are your thoughts on the kit so far?

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Fri May 09, 2025 10:24 am
by RangerNeil
So far its very good. No flash or visible ejector marks and everything fits exactly. So much so if you get paint where a part goes it has to be scraped off. None of the drive sprockets, wheels and idlers are stuck on - fit is so exact they are just pressed on and aren't coming off again in a hurry.
My only issue thus far has been the warped deck. But the pieces stuck to the underside have pulled it more or less flat now.
I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a Cromwell.

So far I've found two different main guns, three different mount plates for the gun and three different turret fronts. Interestingly - the wheels etc all had space inside for poly caps - but the instructions do not call for them!! Only poly caps used are for the gun mount....

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Fri May 09, 2025 12:17 pm
by digger303
RangerNeil wrote: Fri May 09, 2025 10:24 am So far its very good. No flash or visible ejector marks and everything fits exactly. So much so if you get paint where a part goes it has to be scraped off. None of the drive sprockets, wheels and idlers are stuck on - fit is so exact they are just pressed on and aren't coming off again in a hurry.
My only issue thus far has been the warped deck. But the pieces stuck to the underside have pulled it more or less flat now.
I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a Cromwell.

So far I've found two different main guns, three different mount plates for the gun and three different turret fronts. Interestingly - the wheels etc all had space inside for poly caps - but the instructions do not call for them!! Only poly caps used are for the gun mount....
Maybe someone used to work for Dragon ;)
Does look a good kit.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Fri May 09, 2025 8:05 pm
by RangerNeil
digger303 wrote: Fri May 09, 2025 12:17 pm
RangerNeil wrote: Fri May 09, 2025 10:24 am So far its very good. No flash or visible ejector marks and everything fits exactly. So much so if you get paint where a part goes it has to be scraped off. None of the drive sprockets, wheels and idlers are stuck on - fit is so exact they are just pressed on and aren't coming off again in a hurry.
My only issue thus far has been the warped deck. But the pieces stuck to the underside have pulled it more or less flat now.
I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a Cromwell.

So far I've found two different main guns, three different mount plates for the gun and three different turret fronts. Interestingly - the wheels etc all had space inside for poly caps - but the instructions do not call for them!! Only poly caps used are for the gun mount....
Maybe someone used to work for Dragon ;)
Does look a good kit.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
Dragon is a possibility for OEM too!! Certainly its not Airfix original - their 1/35 Tiger is a reboxed Academy so there is precedent...

Back to the build.... The PE on the front is now on. Hopefully its done right because the illustration in the diagram is useless. I've assumed they are both inverted "L" shapes, not "T" sections.
Image

The turret is basically done - just needs the hatches added.
Image

Image

Now - having test fitted the hull deck its obvious the tracks need to be done first if I'm going to used the moulded links. Which is a given as, unlike the Crusader, there are no side skirts to hide the flexi-track joins. So first the link sections need painting and I had a dim memory of seeing a YouTube video where the poster recommended painting the links with a dark colour first then dry brushing rust and silver over the top - so I'm giving it a try. No idea how its going to turn out.
Image

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Sat May 10, 2025 6:44 pm
by RangerNeil
And with the rust dry-brushed on....
Image

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Sun May 11, 2025 12:14 am
by digger303
Tracks are turning out well so far.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Sun May 11, 2025 7:28 am
by Stokesy44
digger303 wrote: Sun May 11, 2025 12:14 am Tracks are turning out well so far.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
What Diggedy Digger said :clap: :clap:

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Sun May 11, 2025 9:30 am
by RangerNeil
Thanks both!! :)
Started fitting the tracks last night, one side is finished, the other has the lower half on.
Image

Image

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Sun May 11, 2025 11:08 am
by digger303
They look good, but were they a link short ?
If they were I hate that it wouldn't hurt to have a few spare links and there's plenty of room on the sprues for a couple more.

:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Sun May 11, 2025 2:16 pm
by RangerNeil
digger303 wrote: Sun May 11, 2025 11:08 am They look good, but were they a link short ?
If they were I hate that it wouldn't hurt to have a few spare links and there's plenty of room on the sprues for a couple more.

:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
No, the track profile matches the illustration in the instructions. There are a couple of spare single links on both sprues though. :)

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Sun May 11, 2025 2:22 pm
by Stokesy44
Nice. Color looks good too :th:

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Sun May 11, 2025 7:56 pm
by RangerNeil
Stokesy44 wrote: Sun May 11, 2025 2:22 pm Nice. Color looks good too :th:
Many thanks :)

Both sets of tracks are now complete. Need to look at the colouring now as someone on another forum pointed out Cromwell tracks were manganese and didn't rust!! :)
Image

Image

Image

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Mon May 12, 2025 2:29 am
by RangerNeil
Having got both tracks on today and allowing them to set I then went over them with burnt umber to replace the rust colouring. Looking at some photos of actual Cromwell tracks I think a metallic grey dry brushed over the cleats and then some mud pigment worked into the gaps between the cleats will do the trick.

The upper hull went on tonight followed by the superstructure. Some tidying to do, the parts on the front to go on (lights, guards, tow eyes etc) plus the hatches and then its paint time.

I also got the debonder out and took the PE off then refitted it as per other photos seen. I think its getting there slowly.....

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Mon May 12, 2025 6:26 am
by digger303
Is there any aftermarket decals for the range finding on the turret available after maket ?
Just asking because I was after a set or 2.

:cheers2:

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Mon May 12, 2025 8:42 am
by Stokesy44
Tracks are looking nice and neat, good to see the upper hull going on.

I assume the Ministry of Straight Lines had the final sign off for the design? :lol:

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Tue May 13, 2025 3:12 pm
by RangerNeil
digger303 wrote: Mon May 12, 2025 6:26 am Is there any aftermarket decals for the range finding on the turret available after maket ?
Just asking because I was after a set or 2.

:cheers2:
Not that I know of Digger. Hannant have this from.Star Decals:
https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/STAR ... oken=eBC4A

But I think its generic only.....
Stokesy44 wrote: Mon May 12, 2025 8:42 am Tracks are looking nice and neat, good to see the upper hull going on.

I assume the Ministry of Straight Lines had the final sign off for the design? :lol:
Heh - that sums up most British tank designs tbrough WW2 up till Centurion arrived on the scene.

Back to the build - the superstructure is completed, all thats left is the pioneer tools and various hatches. First coat of Olive Drab went on last night by hairy stick to get colour into all the cracks and crevices. Today the airbrush comes out!! :)
Image

Image

Image

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Tue May 13, 2025 11:14 pm
by RangerNeil
All painted up via airbrush today. Just need to fit the pioneer tools and hatches then its a gloss clear coat for the decals.....
Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Wed May 14, 2025 11:02 am
by digger303
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Wed May 14, 2025 11:38 am
by Stokesy44
Great to see the paint go on.

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Sun May 18, 2025 3:44 pm
by RangerNeil
OK - calling this one done now. I might come back in the future and add crew, kit stowage and weathering but for now I'm just enjoying the clean look :)
I used the Polish unit markings simply because the Czech one required a Black disruptive overlay and I didn't feel like going through the hassle of marking it out!! :)

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Airfix Cromwell Mk VI

Posted: Sun May 18, 2025 10:47 pm
by digger303
Nice clean build and I like the polish markings. So often the contribution from other countries get glossed over.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
:cheers2: