Page 1 of 1

Tamiya 1/24 Nissan R390 GT1 Replacement Body

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2025 4:50 am
by barryf1fan
Made a start on the body for the Nissan R390 that I built 15+ years ago...

Image

Image

I messed up painting the body, twice, and you can only strip a body so many times before you chuck it in the trash - which is what I did. Found a replacement kit several years ago (for a cheap price...) and figured, eh, why not.

So got the body cleaned up the other night and shot the Ultimate Primer on the top and inside...
Grey and Semi Gloss Black

Image

Image

Fingers-crossed this one turns out, versus ending up in the landfill.

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Nissan R390 GT1 Replacement Body

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2025 6:08 am
by digger303
Nice start.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Nissan R390 GT1 Replacement Body

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2025 9:04 am
by Gary30
Slow down B! Another kit that is dear to my heart and in recent memory!

I have a spare one in my stash too, I had to buy a replacement for some reason, can't remember why now though :doh: anyway I digress, always enjoy reading your builds :pop:

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Nissan R390 GT1 Replacement Body

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2025 12:33 pm
by MrBowcat
Good timing, I've just started this kit so hoping to pick up some tips.

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Nissan R390 GT1 Replacement Body

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2025 7:57 pm
by barryf1fan
Image

Image

Image

AAANNNDDdddd?!? What's missing in this pic?? Hmm?? That's right... where's the black??!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Completely forgot to paint the black first. :wall: :bash: :wall: :bash:

SO

Image

Image

Image

Aahhh, the joy and relaxation of this hobby. :mrgreen:
MrBowcat wrote: Wed Jul 16, 2025 12:33 pm Good timing, I've just started this kit so hoping to pick up some tips.
I've seen your builds. :shock: You don't need no stinkin' tips. Not from me anyway. :lol:

Seriously though, the only tip I would say it to mask the black "stripes" along the hood (bonnet) and engine cover... those two decals were terrible...

Image

The two on the front ripped in multiple places and just kept disintegrating, the two on the rear engine cover ripped but were easy enough to slide together. Had I known how terribly thin the decals were I never would have used them, I would've just masked it when I painted the dang thing.

Have got them about 80-85% done and hope to clear coat this weekend (maybe) and gonna have to use my wife's dehydrator to get rid of the moisture, as it's just sticking around. These decals are so bad apparently that not many have actually built the kit with the red on the sides... I have only found black, or mostly black, ones on YouTube... Guess I'm trying to build a unicorn.

Image

:lol: :lol:

Going okay though, and having to go a bit slowly on this one...

Image

Image

If you've made it this far, well, it's either late or you're really, really bored. ;) :cheers2:
Thanks for looking in!!

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Nissan R390 GT1 Replacement Body

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2025 7:58 pm
by barryf1fan
I did forget to post that I did paint the underside silver and black... Woohoo!

Image

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Nissan R390 GT1 Replacement Body

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2025 1:20 am
by digger303
Love the colour scheme and the decals look good even though you had some trouble with them.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Nissan R390 GT1 Replacement Body

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2025 7:32 am
by Gary30
Yeah deffo bin the black decals and paint the damn thing, did I not mention that? :oops: :whistle: :lol:

Despite that, you still managed to drag it in the right direction though, looking nice! :clap:

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Nissan R390 GT1 Replacement Body

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2025 1:45 pm
by barryf1fan
Gary30 wrote: Fri Jul 18, 2025 7:32 am Yeah deffo bin the black decals and paint the damn thing, did I not mention that? :oops: :whistle: :lol:
Image

Gary30 wrote: Fri Jul 18, 2025 7:32 am Despite that, you still managed to drag it in the right direction though, looking nice! :clap:
:bow:: Thank you, sir. Yeah, gonna try and throw some black on there and hope the clear covers it. . .

Image

:lol: :lol:

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Nissan R390 GT1 Replacement Body

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2025 2:58 pm
by Phillip1
barryf1fan,

The paint and decals look really nice so far.

Phillip1

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Nissan R390 GT1 Replacement Body

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2025 4:39 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Interesting.
You have my attention
:pop:

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Nissan R390 GT1 Replacement Body

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2025 10:03 am
by MrBowcat
Looks good Barry. What red did you use?

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Nissan R390 GT1 Replacement Body

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2025 3:31 am
by barryf1fan
Calling the body done. Several decals bubbled with the clear... but figured as much, they were just so thin. Oh well, at least it's done. Gonna give it to a buddy that's a big Nissan fan, so he'll like, told him to be sure and place it in a low light area. :lol:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Thanks for looking!!

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Nissan R390 GT1 Replacement Body

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2025 10:36 am
by cor
Looks great

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Nissan R390 GT1 Replacement Body

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2025 10:45 am
by digger303
Marvellous ...one for the pool room :thumb1:

:clap: :clap: :clap:
:cheers2:

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Nissan R390 GT1 Replacement Body

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2025 2:10 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Oh yes very nice :banana: :banana: :clap: