Page 1 of 1

Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Wed May 20, 2026 3:32 am
by RangerNeil
Building this as part of a group build on̈ a Facebook group for vererans - theme of the group is"Between the Wars ,Vietnam to Gulf:" I was planning in doing the Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer but couldn't find it in the stash.!!

Image

So - type history:
"The Vought F-8 Crusader (originally F8U under the 1922 designation system) is a retired single-engine, supersonic, carrier-based air superiority jet aircraft designed and produced by the American aircraft manufacturer Vought.
It was the last American fighter that had guns as the primary weapon, earning it the title "The Last of the Gunfighters"
Development of the F-8 commenced after release of the requirement for a new fighter by the United States Navy in September 1952. Vought's design team, led by John Russell Clark, produced the V-383, a relatively unorthodox fighter that possessed an innovative high-mounted variable-incidence wing, an area-ruled fuselage, all-moving stabilators, dog-tooth notching at the wing folds for improved yaw stability, and liberal use of titanium throughout the airframe. During June 1953, Vought received an initial order to produce three XF8U-1 prototypes of its design. On 25 March 1955, the first prototype performed its maiden flight. Flight testing proved the aircraft to be relatively problem-free. On 21 August 1956, U.S. Navy pilot R.W. Windsor attained a top speed of 1,015 mph; in doing so, the F-8 became the first jet fighter in American service to reach 1,000 mph.
During March 1957, the F-8 was introduced into regular operations with the US Navy. In addition to the Navy, the type was also operated by the United States Marine Corps (replacing the Vought F7U Cutlass), the French Navy, and the Philippine Air Force. Early on, the type experienced an above-average mishap rate, being somewhat difficult to pilot.
American F-8s saw active combat during the Vietnam War, engaging in multiple dogfights with MiG-17s of the Vietnam People's Air Force as well as performing ground attack missions in the theatre. The RF-8 Crusader was a photo-reconnaissance model. It played a crucial role in the Cuban Missile Crisis, providing essential low-level photographs of Soviet medium range ballistic missiles (MRBMs) in Cuba that were impossible to acquire by other means at that time.. Several modified F-8s were used by NASA for experimental flights, including the testing of digital fly-by-wire technology and supercritical wing design.
The RF-8 operated in U.S. service longer than any of the fighter versions; the United States Navy Reserve withdrew its remaining aircraft during 1987."


The Instructions
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

The Sprues
Image

Image
Image

Image

Image

Image


Image

Fuselage halves joined. Everything went together almost perfetly.
Image

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Wed May 20, 2026 5:16 am
by Stokesy44
Off to a nice start. Cockpit looks tidy.

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Wed May 20, 2026 8:09 am
by digger303
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Fri May 22, 2026 9:33 am
by RangerNeil
More work done. In the foreground are the 4 x Zumi missile pods that attach to the fuselage hard points. These weren't a bad fit although a little sanding was needed along the seams.
Image

Next job were the leading and trailing edges. As this is being built with its signature variable incidence wing in the raised position the wing had to be assembled with the flaps and leading edges set at specific angles. The instructions show what these should be so I used an engineers protractor that was set to the angles in the drawing to set the parts in place.
Image

Image

What I assume is an ECM pod is being added to the top of the fin. So far this has been the worst fitting part of the kit. The two halves are supposed to meet in front of the fin.
They don't!!
I've had to use an off-cut of 1.0mm plastic sheet to fill the gap. This still needs sanding and possibly filling to finish.
Image

Image

Image

Centre section (underwing) added to the fuselage.
Image

Wing assembly test fitted to.fuselage. The rear faces needed a lot of sanding to fit over the fuselage.
Image

Image

Next step is painting. I think I'm going to paint the wing & fuselage as seperate items and apply the decals before assembling the two sections.

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Fri May 22, 2026 3:05 pm
by Stokesy44
Nice work.

Good call on keeping the wings separate for painting. Should make things simpler all round.

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Sat May 23, 2026 7:35 pm
by RangerNeil
Insignia white applied to underside of wings & fuselage, tops of flaps, both sides of the tail planes and various pylons and doors. Still got the rudder to do but I haven't finished shaping the front of that ECM pod.
Image

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Sun May 24, 2026 1:08 am
by digger303
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Wed May 27, 2026 10:31 pm
by RangerNeil
Someone upstairs has it in for me!! :(
I applied the Light Grey to the upper surfaces yesterday and set the wings and fuselage aside to dry. Picked up the fuselage today to do the steel colour on the rear - and it had stuck to the turntable. :(
Image

Image

I've got no idea why - the white had had 24 hours drying time before I applied the grey - I can only assume the 35º heat yesterday softened something on the turn table..
Whatever ' I now need to feather these patches in and repaint.....

Oh and the heat today made the Tamiya X7 used on the nose go gloopy so that may need sanding too :(

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Thu May 28, 2026 12:28 am
by digger303
Are you sure it's the heat ?
I've not had heat do that to my paint. I have had it where the paint was slow to cure resulting in finger prints or sticking to other surfaces, it felt dry yet wasn't. Some colours seem more prone to this. I've now resorted to leaving a longer cure time between coats.

:cheers2:

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Thu May 28, 2026 9:37 am
by RangerNeil
digger303 wrote: Thu May 28, 2026 12:28 am Are you sure it's the heat ?
I've not had heat do that to my paint. I have had it where the paint was slow to cure resulting in finger prints or sticking to other surfaces, it felt dry yet wasn't. Some colours seem more prone to this. I've now resorted to leaving a longer cure time between coats.

:cheers2:
To be honest - no. But I've used Hataka's "Insignia White" before on that TBM-3 build and this didn'd happen. The build room window face the setting sun and it does get hot in there (by UK standards).

Its a right PITA - I was hoping to get a gloss clear coat on today ready for decalling. Going to have to be a couple more days now as I sort this out. :(

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Thu May 28, 2026 11:00 am
by Stokesy44
RangerNeil wrote: Thu May 28, 2026 9:37 am
digger303 wrote: Thu May 28, 2026 12:28 am Are you sure it's the heat ?
I've not had heat do that to my paint. I have had it where the paint was slow to cure resulting in finger prints or sticking to other surfaces, it felt dry yet wasn't. Some colours seem more prone to this. I've now resorted to leaving a longer cure time between coats.

:cheers2:
To be honest - no. But I've used Hataka's "Insignia White" before on that TBM-3 build and this didn'd happen. The build room window face the setting sun and it does get hot in there (by UK standards).

Its a right PITA - I was hoping to get a gloss clear coat on today ready for decalling. Going to have to be a couple more days now as I sort this out. :(
Weather is definitely cooling down and will be significantly cooler from tomorrow. Hopefully that's the end of the problems :th:

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Fri May 29, 2026 11:41 am
by Portman
Sorry to hear of your painting woes but I have to say it is all looking excellent :clap: :clap: :clap:

One thing that did surprise me from your opening post - you couldn't find a 1/48 Buccaneer in your stash?!?!? :wtf: How big is your stash man! :crazy: :jd: :D

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Fri May 29, 2026 12:40 pm
by Stokesy44
Portman wrote: Fri May 29, 2026 11:41 am Sorry to hear of your painting woes but I have to say it is all looking excellent :clap: :clap: :clap:

One thing that did surprise me from your opening post - you couldn't find a 1/48 Buccaneer in your stash?!?!? :wtf: How big is your stash man! :crazy: :jd: :D
:lol: I have vague memories of building the old Airfix 1/72 Buc back in the 1970s. Am I remembering correctly in that it had a copper (or similar) colored nose cone? That seems to have stuck with me for some reason.

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Fri May 29, 2026 12:58 pm
by Portman
Stokesy44 wrote: Fri May 29, 2026 12:40 pm
Portman wrote: Fri May 29, 2026 11:41 am Sorry to hear of your painting woes but I have to say it is all looking excellent :clap: :clap: :clap:

One thing that did surprise me from your opening post - you couldn't find a 1/48 Buccaneer in your stash?!?!? :wtf: How big is your stash man! :crazy: :jd: :D
:lol: I have vague memories of building the old Airfix 1/72 Buc back in the 1970s. Am I remembering correctly in that it had a copper (or similar) colored nose cone? That seems to have stuck with me for some reason.
:think: Now you've got me - were the early ones a tan colour..? Presumably from the material used to make a radome.

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Fri May 29, 2026 3:18 pm
by RangerNeil
Underside is sorted - it was worrying because as I was sanding it to feather the edges the paint was peeling off. God knows why - everything was primed using Tamiya surfacer primer. The finish isn't wonderful but acceptable.

Image
Stokesy44 wrote: Fri May 29, 2026 12:40 pm
Portman wrote: Fri May 29, 2026 11:41 am Sorry to hear of your painting woes but I have to say it is all looking excellent :clap: :clap: :clap:

One thing that did surprise me from your opening post - you couldn't find a 1/48 Buccaneer in your stash?!?!? :wtf: How big is your stash man! :crazy: :jd: :D
:lol: I have vague memories of building the old Airfix 1/72 Buc back in the 1970s. Am I remembering correctly in that it had a copper (or similar) colored nose cone? That seems to have stuck with me for some reason.
It did indeed - I built it around around the same time. Gloss white underside, dark blue uppers and a tan nose cone. Happy memories. :)
Portman wrote: Fri May 29, 2026 11:41 am Sorry to hear of your painting woes but I have to say it is all looking excellent :clap: :clap: :clap:

One thing that did surprise me from your opening post - you couldn't find a 1/48 Buccaneer in your stash?!?!? :wtf: How big is your stash man! :crazy: :jd: :D
Errrr - this big....... :lol:

Image

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Fri May 29, 2026 3:26 pm
by Portman
:jd: LOL! Fair enough - it'll be in there somewhere!

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2026 8:08 pm
by RangerNeil
Decals are going on - wings and tail planes are done, undercarriage legs are done, undercarriage doors are done.
Moving on to the fuselage next - still having paint issues here. Slightest tap is peeling paint off and I've no idea why. The primer is adhering to the plastic but the paint isn't adgering to the primer.... First time I've used Hataka paints on Tamiya surfacer primer. Probably the last. In future I'll stick to Ultimate because I know Hataka sticks to that.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

There is a "small" problem coming up with the fuselage mounted missile rails - the holes were opened where indicated but ......
Image

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2026 11:55 am
by digger303
I don't recall you building a Supermarine Swift FR.5 and they were a important aircraft during the cold war with a chequered history. :think:
:th:
:cheers2:

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2026 3:47 pm
by RangerNeil
digger303 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2026 11:55 am I don't recall you building a Supermarine Swift FR.5 and they were a important aircraft during the cold war with a chequered history. :think:
:th:
:cheers2:
Correct - I haven't. Its on my "want" list though!!

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2026 11:40 am
by Portman
Looking very nice indeed - interesting issue with the holes, they dropped the ball on that one a bit.

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2026 12:36 am
by RangerNeil
Work continues on the fuselage decals. All the major ones are now on and I've started on the numeroud stencils. Maybe another day will get to the point of a matt clear coat then the eing, tail planes annd jet pipe cane be fitted together with the canopies.
Test fitted these tonught and had to take about 1mm off the base of the ejection seat to get the canpy to close!!
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2026 2:30 am
by digger303
I love it when the decals go on....preferably without a hitch and a lot of swearing.
It really starts to become what it's meant to be.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2026 5:45 am
by Stokesy44
digger303 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2026 2:30 am I love it when the decals go on....preferably without a hitch and a lot of swearing.
It really starts to become what it's meant to be.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
Was about to post exactly the same thoughts

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2026 12:12 pm
by Portman
Thirded - it's one of the best parts of the build. That's looking excellent!

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2026 1:46 pm
by cor
Yeah man. Looking good.

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2026 9:14 pm
by RangerNeil
Decals are all on. Undercarriage doors etc. are on, just needs matt varnish on the underside now, the top is done. Then the wings and tailplane can be fitted.
Image

Image

Image

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2026 12:39 am
by digger303
Looking flash even without the wings.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2026 6:55 am
by Stokesy44
digger303 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2026 12:39 am Looking flash even without the wings.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
Without the wings it looks like an F104 Star Fighter :lol:

(Obviously it doesn't but the joke is the F104 has such little wings :shifty: )

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2026 10:53 pm
by RangerNeil
Stokesy44 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2026 6:55 am
digger303 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2026 12:39 am Looking flash even without the wings.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
Without the wings it looks like an F104 Star Fighter :lol:

(Obviously it doesn't but the joke is the F104 has such little wings :shifty: )
One thing you can say about the Crusader - the wings are NOT small!! :lol:

I finished the build tonight - I think it turned out reasonably well in the end. :)
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2026 2:35 am
by digger303
Well done.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
:cheers2:

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2026 6:41 am
by Stokesy44
That's a cracking finish. Beautiful clean lines :clap: :clap:

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2026 11:22 am
by Portman
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That's a cracking Crusader - very well done indeed. Nice choice of markings too!

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2026 12:04 pm
by RangerNeil
Portman wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2026 11:22 am :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That's a cracking Crusader - very well done indeed. Nice choice of markings too!
Many thanks - I must admit to bias when choosing that option - NP are my initials!! :lol:

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2026 12:22 pm
by Portman
RangerNeil wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2026 12:04 pm
Portman wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2026 11:22 am :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That's a cracking Crusader - very well done indeed. Nice choice of markings too!
Many thanks - I must admit to bias when choosing that option - NP are my initials!! :lol:
LOL! Nice - that's the sort of thing I'd do!

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 F8.Crusader

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2026 7:51 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Stokesy44 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2026 6:41 am That's a cracking finish. Beautiful clean lines :clap: :clap:
What he said very well done :clap: :clap: