Page 1 of 1

1/48 Scale Monogram Wildcat

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:52 pm
by jmar829
So I got a new dual action airbrush for my birthday. The first dual action airbrush I've ever owned, so you can imagine my excitement. I was in the middle of a build that I had already painted but was dying to test my hand with the new airbrush. So...I grabbed one of my cheapo kits I had laying in the closet and threw it together. The cockpit was VERY minimal. When I say minimal, I should say there wasn't a cockpit for this thing. Basically a seat that you glue to the wall. That's it. This is why I didn't include any build photos.

Here we go!
The decals were really old and unusable, but luckily I had an extra set from a failed Hellcat build from some time ago.
Image

Image

Made some guns from brass tubing.
Image

Tried my hand at pre-shading. Probably the wrong kit to start with as there are a million lines on this kit. Also, I think I went a little too heavy on the paint because the pre-shading is barely visible.
Image

Image

Re: 1/48 Scale Monogram Wildcat

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:46 pm
by Rob
First go? Blimey, that's a cracking finish! Mine had puddles and runs all over the place. I know what you mean about the pre shading but subtle is good some times especially if the model is not going to get too much else by way of weathering. Sometimes when spraying, for me anyway, the trick is is knowing when to stop!

Re: 1/48 Scale Monogram Wildcat

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:46 pm
by jmar829
Thanks Rob! Do you have any pointers on weathering raised panel lines? I see that most will slather on a wash to fill in the recessed panel lines, but I've yet to find a successful technique that works well with raised panel lines.