Page 1 of 1

Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:59 pm
by Joesdad
While I'm waiting for some paint I'll have a start on this cheeky little blighter....

Image

Some plastic..

Image

A bit more...

Image

An engine...

Image

Shall I bother with Lars...?

Image

A start on the cockpit..

Image

That's it for a bit, gotta go and make the kids tea
We'll have to see how she goes together, but a lovely kit and an unusual subject.
Thanks for looking you....

:cheers2:

Tim

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:24 pm
by HWGuderian23
Very nice kit Tim! Looking forward to see your progress mate (after your kids tea time :D) :cheers2:.

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:27 pm
by Joesdad
Thanx Markus, I'll chuck some paint on it tomorrow maybe bud.... Stand by....

:cheers2:

Tim

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:33 am
by EasyEight96
Very nice choice cant wait to see more

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:09 pm
by Joesdad
Here we go, a little update

Image[/URL]

Image

Image

Image

Yeah you're right lads, not much of an update but there you go. Anything is better than nothing, right?
Hope to do more soon.
Thanx for looking
Tim

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:30 pm
by JayCub
looks a really cracking kit and reminds me of the first model i ever built although you have used a lot less glue and superior painting but i loved it and after seeing this it's another must have on my growing list.
im looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Tom

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:45 am
by Joesdad
Tom mate, she certainly is and if you do the Finnish ski variant an interesting one.
Not looking forward to the rigging though bud....

Image

:eeek:
At lest you get a map!!!!
Cheers Tom
Thanx for looking
Tim

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:55 am
by HWGuderian23
Nice paint job on the cockpit mate :th:! The engine looks stunning and very nice detailed. Well done mate :cheers2:

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:49 pm
by EasyEight96
Nice weathering on the cockpit :th: which scheme are you choosing?? the RAF ver. or the one with the ski's

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:23 pm
by Joesdad
EasyEight96 wrote:Nice weathering on the cockpit :th: which scheme are you choosing?? the RAF ver. or the one with the ski's

Finnish one Easy, the one with skis...
Not sure how you weather an aircraft that operated in the snow...... Any answers anybody????

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:56 pm
by Joesdad
A little update....
Lower wing and ski's on and primed up, I've tried a bit of pre-shading so we'll have to see what happens...

Image

Image

More soon...
Thanks for looking
Tim

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:12 pm
by Joesdad
A little more....
All over coat of Citadel Runefang Steel, the camo colours (green and grey) will put on over the silver...
(Somehow...)

Image

Image

Image

The pre-shading didn't come upto much, too think a coat I guess. I've kept the top wing off to help with the rigging :eeek:
Hope I can get the camo right 'cause she's a great little kit.
More soon(ish)
Thanks for looking
Tim

Ps Could do with advice on weathering the canvas covering...
Ta

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:25 pm
by RobertA
The Finnish version is actually a SWEDISH J8 Gladiator... they painted over the Finnish swastikas with various symbols, like the skull and crossbones et.c, on their return to Sweden, as they could not operate the aircraft with Swedish markings in Finland, nor fly them to Sweden with the Finnish insignia still on..

Much looking forward to seeing the build complete.. I'm unecided as to if I will get the kit or not as I have the old Heller offering, but I'll make my mind up when I see the completed build.. :)

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:56 pm
by Joesdad
Oo thanks for that Basic, I never knew that... As for the kit she's lovely (up to now), good detail and no build problems. I won't have ago at the rigging just yet as I've got some ezyline coming and looking at the camo I reckon I'm gonna have to brush paint it as I've no idea how you would mask the scheme. Anyway mate these new tool Airfix kits are crackers, cheap enough too.

Tim

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:03 pm
by RobertA
Now you have convinced me.. I'm definetely going to get one.. or two! :) One of each, I think.. :)

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:54 pm
by Joesdad
A bit more....
Engine on..

Image

This is a nice touch... The panels come separately so you could have the engine exposed for a maintaince diorama perhaps..

Image

The panels don't quite close up completely though...
User error I reckon

Image

See you in a bit
Thanks for looking
Tim

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:09 pm
by RobertA
Looking good.. but I have heard of other modellers that have had trouboe with the cowl as well.. I think you need to make the engine a bit smaller in order for it all to fit! It's obviously a kit issue, and not so much the fault of the builder.. ;)

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:17 pm
by Joesdad
You might be right mate, there are a couple of pin locators on the cowl panel that fit onto the engine, it's not a great fit I suppose Basic, but it's the only problem I've encountered (so far).
I might get another one....

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:17 pm
by RobertA
Either way I hope it can be solved and I'm still much looking forward to seeing it done.. :)

By the way, the Swedes flying in Finland (against Russia) did so on a volunteer basis, but the Swedish Air Force provided the aircraft and they were even designated an 'official' Fighter Wing, the F19. But they flew with Finnish insignia, alongside the Finns..

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:47 am
by Joesdad
Really quick one..
Making a start on the old decals...

Image

There's not many compared to say modern jets, but I hate them little stencils..
More pics soon, thanks for looking
Tim

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:40 pm
by RobertA
Can't wait to see it done... the camo looks spot on!! :)

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:31 pm
by Joesdad
Thanks mate...
I can't wait to start the rigging...... Not!

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:41 pm
by HWGuderian23
Nice work on the camo scheme mate :th:!
Very well done :cheers2:

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:30 pm
by RobertA
I'm sure you'll do just fine.. if I can do it, then anyone can.. :)

Matchbox Gladiator with after market decals
(J8 Gladiator of the F10 Wing, Swedish Air Force WWII)
aABACKGROUNDPHOTOCROP%20007web.jpg

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:38 pm
by Joesdad
BasicModelling wrote:I'm sure you'll do just fine.. if I can do it, then anyone can.. :)

Matchbox Gladiator with after market decals
(J8 Gladiator of the F10 Wing, Swedish Air Force WWII)
aABACKGROUNDPHOTOCROP%20007web.jpg

Oooo..!!! She's nice Basic :) Great photo too mate with the background and all that...

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:07 pm
by Joesdad
Well.... I'm starting the rigging and struggling all ready...
It's gonna be a long day, so I'll stick on 5live and listen to the footy

Image

Wish me luck..

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:44 pm
by Rob
Certainly. Good luck! Great work so far

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:01 pm
by Joesdad
Cheers Rob...
Fail......... :wall: Need Zip Kicker :roll:

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:44 pm
by RobertA
Fingers crossed for a good outcome.. :) :)

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:35 pm
by Joesdad
:wall: Bad news! Unfortunately my still set isn't upto rigging just yet... What I'm going to do, before the Gladdy gets launched out of the kitchen window, is put her to one side for a bit while I catch up with myself...
Some pics of her naked, so to speak...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

I've actually done a little bit, but it's such a frustrating and slow process... :wall:

Image[/URL]

Image

Image

Image


Sometimes you bite off more than you can chew.
I will come back the Gladdy soon....
Thanx for looking

Tim

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:08 pm
by RobertA
And boy does she look good naked too... ;)

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:50 pm
by Joesdad
BasicModelling wrote:And boy does she look good naked too... ;)

:oops: :oops:

Thank you Mr Basic...

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:21 pm
by ludicrusmaximus
Very, very nice :thumb2: . The Gladiator is one of my favourite planes, partly because Roald Dahl flew one and partly because, being Maltese, they formed the early air defence of the island in ww2, creating the Faith, Hope and Charity legend. You've done an excellent job with detail on that small scale, which I still find hard to work in properly. The camo is great as are the markings!

Online I discovered that Roden make a 1:48 scale Gladiator with Malta markings (Hal-Far airfield) as an option. This is one is on my list.

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:32 am
by Joesdad
Cheers Ludi, 1:48 you say... Certainly be easier to rigg...

Tim

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:15 pm
by EasyEight96
Nicely done mate love it

Re: Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A/Gladiator

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:21 pm
by Joesdad
EasyEight96 wrote:Nicely done mate love it


:cheers2: Matt, glad you like mate...