Page 1 of 1

Exhaust Paint Effect

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:43 pm
by DCGC1551
Has anyone got any suggestions for painting Spitfire exhausts to give a more realistic effect? Painting as per the instruction sheet does not a very good effect.

Airfix 1:24 Spitfire being built.

Thanks everyone :wall:

Re: Exhaust Paint Effect

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:16 pm
by Lee
I usually use Mr Hobby Metalisers (buffable ones) - they are excellent paints with a very light dusting of a rust colour :D

Re: Exhaust Paint Effect

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:27 pm
by DCGC1551
Thanks Lee - I'll give them a try!

Re: Exhaust Paint Effect

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:54 pm
by ForbesHutton
The Tamiya weather master packs might do the trick. There is a blue colour for exhausts that have been heated and a black/grey for soot.

http://www.mojehobby.pl/zdjecia/3/6/2/802_tech01.jpg

they have a short downloadable movie about half way down for the exhausts: http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87080weathering/

Re: Exhaust Paint Effect

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:05 pm
by DCGC1551
I did think about using those but B of B RAF fighters seem to have a more rusty appearance than blue/yellowy heat effect. But do appreciate the advise and video link.

Many thanks.

Re: Exhaust Paint Effect

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:18 pm
by DCGC1551
Hi guys
Just trolling through September addition of SAM. Low & behold there's an article by Brian Wakeman weathering a P-39.
For the exhausts he used a product from Citadel called Tin Bliz. This seems to give a good effect for worn exhausts.
Never know might be what I,m looking for :)

cheers

Re: Exhaust Paint Effect

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:12 pm
by T3hGuppy
DCGC1551 wrote:Hi guys
Just trolling through September addition of SAM. Low & behold there's an article by Brian Wakeman weathering a P-39.
For the exhausts he used a product from Citadel called Tin Bliz. This seems to give a good effect for worn exhausts.
Never know might be what I,m looking for :)

cheers
Tin Blitz is a great metallic colour.

Pretty sure they don't make it any more though

Let me know if your struggling to find it should have a spare pot around somewhere. :th:

Re: Exhaust Paint Effect

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:53 pm
by DCGC1551
Hi there,

Thank you very much for the info - I have managed to order a pot of Tin Blitz from Amazon. Looking forward to giving it a go.

Many thanks.

Re: Exhaust Paint Effect

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:00 pm
by DCGC1551
Also meant to say found that Alclad2 do an exhaust pigment so I'll give that a go too.