Page 1 of 1
Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:52 am
by Bassman
Having seen that Rail Gun, I was wondering what was the biggest kit you have made, or have sitting in your stash gathering dust as you don't know where you will put it?!
On the aircraft front, I suppose for me it is my (completed ages ago) Monogram B36 with its 38" (97.4cm) wingspan. Cunningly "displayed" on top of a wardrobe... to conceal the fact it is in need of TLC to get it back into a decent state.
On the car front, From the competion point of view I would say my 1/8 Monogram E Type (in need of some TLC and paint I suppose now!), though some of my old AMT 1/25 Trucks and Trailers were pretty long. The old ERTL International Payhauler Dump Truck was also fairly large for 1/25.
In the "Not started" (at least to any extent) category would be my Pocher 1/8 Volvo F12 Truck (Tractor Unit specifically). Which is around 2 feet long and a foot wide and maybe 15" tall. I am guessing that must be my most expensive kit (bought new when it was available). I also have one of the Pocher Rolls-Royces (the Sedanca) which is also pretty sizeable. Bought that from my local Toy Shop many, many years ago. It cost just over a £100 at the time. It would probably cost a bit more than that to get hold of one now!
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:13 am
by Gav0909
At the moment the biggest kit I have is probably the 1/32 Hawk, but my 1/48 A10 Thunderbolt is going to be a similar, if not slightly bigger size.
As for kits I have done before (back me yoof), I had a 1/72 B29 which was a pretty decent size. "Luckily" she ended up a tail sitter so I could still sit it on a shelf with the front wheel hanging off! Hahahah!
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:25 am
by JayCub
i have the Karl-Geräte howitzer, Adam in 1/35 by Tumpeter with the two rail cars,(you have the choice of a long or short barrel) it's in a bit of a sad state after a couple of moves and im trying to piece it back together, the schnellboot in 1/35 is roughly two feet in length and im also working on a 1/16 Tiger, so i will post photographs when i get time to add a portfolio.
like Gav i built a few in my youth but that was many moons ago.
Tom
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:27 am
by Lee
I too have the Dora 80cm so, that's my largest kit in size, but scale have the 1/24 Airfix Harrier, 1/32 Trumpeter SU-25 Frogfoot, Revell 1/72 A400M - All things I have no room for what so ever....lol
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:28 am
by Tonygol
Biggest one so far would be the 1/32 Academy F-16I SUFA
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:26 pm
by ridgers22
mines has to be the 1/72 B-52 im building... the wingspan is 30 inches
My next project is a big one to. Just a 1/48 B-17
i also have a 1/72 concorde in my stash

Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:11 pm
by graham22
1/72 Corvette
1/72 Concorde
1/72 Nimrod
1/72 A400 Atlas
and a partridge in a pear tree
all far too big - dunno where i'm going to put them - cross that bridge if a ever get round to building them
oh and a 1/350 Iwo Jima, 1/24 Mossie 1/24 Sea Harrier and a 1/24 Spitfire
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:19 pm
by T3hGuppy
My biggest kit so far is the 1/500 into darkness enterprise that has been hiding half painted for awhile now
And the F111 is a pretty big bird at 1/48 scale
That's it todate bit planing some large bomber builds in the future once space is not at so much of a premium lol
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:40 pm
by Darkblade88
My biggest kit is the Revell 1/677 starship voyager second biggest is the 1/32 red arrows hawk
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:06 pm
by Filo387
Mine is the 1/24 London bus. I also have a 1/32 red arrow hawk.
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:07 pm
by snappercity
Possibly 1:72 B-52 I built years back.
In the stash but too big to build under current conitions have:
1:72 KC-135R
2x 1:32 F-4's
1:350 USS Missouri
Even my 1:72 AC119 is currently too big to build.
Moving house next year so hopefully then I can get round to starting some bigger projects.
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:47 pm
by Gav0909
If I could ever get my hands on one I would love to have the Revell 1.48 B1-B Lancer. That thing is a monster!
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:53 pm
by Colin
My biggest kit would be the Trumpeter 1/32 Su-27 or F-117A I think? possibly the Hobby Boss 1/32 P-61B Black Widow ... was really surprised at the size of the F-117A in this scale.
I've had to say no to the 1/32 HK B-17 and 1/32 Lanc they will be producing because I don't have room for them! ... I really have to think hard about new 1/32 Aircraft kits now but will buy anything Tamiya do in this scale for sure.
Although not the biggest in physical size I have four (soon to be five) Tamiya 1/6 Motorcycle kits, but they don't really take up that much room to display as you would expect ... largest scale kit I have is the old Halycon 1/1 scale Facehugger from the Alien film kit.
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:04 pm
by Bassman
I forgot my 1/24 Aifix Mossie. It is smaller than that B36 though.
I'd also forgotten that Revell 1/48 B-1B. Not quite the wingspan of the B36 but maybe a bit longer. I remember assembling the cockpit before getting distracted by something else!
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:25 pm
by Colin
Just thinking back to displaying large scale ... in the early/mid 80's I used to keep my
real road Bike, a 1/1 Suzuki GSX1000S Katana in my living room over the winter months ... I am a very proud eccentric and had a very understanding Biker Girlfriend at that time too though, in fact it was her idea
Its not as bad as it sounds, the Bike had been thoroughly cleaned in a mates garage and drained of petrol before taking into the house and I'd use an old hack road Bike over the winter ... eventually took my car test in late 80's just to help me with my work ... I was a really die hard Biker in those days!
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:17 pm
by ScaleModelling1105
I have the Revell 1:72 B-17G 'Flying Fortress' and that peaks out at a width of 44cm. I did see a revel 1:72 C-17A Globemaster though...
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:01 pm
by Johni044
I think my largest is the B36 Peacemaker pictures of which are in the Cold War GB.
Then I think the 1:72 B52 may be next followed by this:
Know what you mean about the cockpit as well.

Pictured here next to a 1:48 Tornado then I think the the 1:24 Mosquito is next but the 1:48 Hustlers and 1:72 Grizzly are a fair size as well.
Must get the Bone back on the bench soon.

Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:10 pm
by Bassman
I think the least endearing qulaity of that 1/48 B-1B was the "mud" coloured plastic.
Talking of 1/48... and Monogram I also have the Hustler (always liked the Hustler, I remember building a smaller scale one many years ago), the Cat and the B29, which had one of the pilot's seats was missing. Monogram fortunately was able to supply a replacement. I also managed a half-price (probably) Revell boxing of the C47 once (Berlin Airlift decals).
I like big kits, I suppose!
The Monogram 1/16 Peterbilt was also fairly large. I have one sitting complete under a sideboard!! I did also buy the normal (Red) low-roof Sleeper Kenworth and also the matching Flatbed Trailer which was a model of a 36 footer as I suppose that in 1/16 a 40 footer would have been too much. I suppose the truck and trailer would have ended up at about 3 feet long when coupled up. That would take up a fair amount of display space.
Another half price (shop closing) acquisition was a Tamiya 1/350 New Jersey which isn't that small I suppose. I fortunately never saw an Enterprise at low price...
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:43 am
by WebbyNZ
There are a bunch in the stash that won't fit in the current display cabinet.
48th liberator
32nd phantom, tomcat and eagle from revell
8th scale 85 corvette and a handful of 1/16 cars
Amt versions of the millennium falcon, imperial shuttle and star destroyer Are not small kits
A couple of 1/4 figures
Biggest box goes to the bus kit which is even bigger than the London bus kit.
Biggest built was a 1/9 scale bike kit from revell.
And of course the soon to arrive 1/6 harley fat boy but that will definitely find a home
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:20 pm
by ta152c
1:35 T-35 by ICM
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:13 pm
by Daishi12
Mine would be when I was modelling long, long ago.....
Airfix 1/24th Me109
Airfix 1/72 B29
Airfix 1/72 S-Boat
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:55 am
by EasyEight96
My biggest kits are the 1/24 mossie , spitfire , bf-109 , harrier gr1 and hurricane
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:58 am
by Scruffy
Mine would have to be the 1/72 A-Monster AN-22 transport, the wing span is around about 3 feet. A pair of 1/72 C-141's (A&B) are rather large and the 1/32 Buccaneer is a beast as well. I also have a 1/48 kit of the Sukhoi T-4 (one of about 5 kits made), and when built that will be pretty huge too.
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:17 am
by Coen
Mine would have to either be my 1/72 Revell Platinum Edition Flower Class Corvette. I'll be starting that on the 10th of December.
Or my 1/16th Hobby Boss Tiger I Mid Production that I'm converting into a Tiger I Early Production. It's definitely my most expensive project.
Now that I think about it... this would be my biggest build ever.
It keeps growing and growing too. It pretty much done now.... the growing that is.
The construction is a constant thing though.
19 years and change in the making.

Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:19 am
by Lee
His a fine looking young man Mike - Luckily he takes after his mother

Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:36 pm
by Coen
Hahaha.!!!
Yeah. Two words for ya goldielashes ... two words....
hahaha.
He is a fine looking dude though. It would be hard for me to be more proud of him.
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:32 pm
by Bassman
That Flower Class is a bit of a monster isn't it. Being a preferred Brush painter, I rapidly moved to another less daunting project after assembling the hull. There was an interesting build I saw on the 'net which detailed changes needed to improve realism which inevitably I can't currently find., though it may have been this build at Britmodeller...
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... snowberry/
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:28 am
by Coen
He doesn't say in the posts that I read,but I think that he has the original release of that kit.
He would have to source all the aftermarket himself.
I guess that I was lucky, mine came with a healthy batch of upgrades.
I have no intention on adding all those rivets to the hull though. That would steal a bit too much fun for my liking.
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:44 am
by Bassman
I must admit to thinking mainly in terms of hull modifications as that is the most noticeable feature. Last time I let loose with a mini drill on a kit, it resulted in a slight excess of material removal, though admittedly it was on something rather smaller.
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:45 am
by NAMBiohazard
Currently busy with a 1:16 Tiger and then I have waiting for me in my stash
a 1:16 King Tiger by Trumpeter and a 1:24 Avro Lancaster
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:49 am
by Coen
Wow... You must live in a gymnasium!
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:50 pm
by Trainboy153
1/48 scale spitfire

Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:45 pm
by ridgers22
WOW a 1/24 lancaster!!!! holy moly!! that is a definite must see
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:13 pm
by Schoof
1/350 tirpitz or my 1/32 Phantom. ....
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:33 am
by gosselin2112
Hmmm. . . I recall having the Millennium Falcon from MPC. That was a big kit. Too bad it is no longer in my possession. My 1:48 B-17G would be the largest kit in my stash at the moment. I also have a 1/32 Bf 109 E.
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:21 am
by NAMBiohazard
Sorry, my bad guys its not a 1/24 Lancaster but a 1/32...
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:32 am
by Coen
Thump!!!
He hits the floor!
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:04 am
by coladito1
Mine would have to be the 1/32 heinkel he 111, the 1/35 black hawk and the 1/72 transall. But i think Lee has the biggest with that Dora kit. I have seen that thing built and is Huge!!!

Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:19 am
by Coen
I'd have to agree with that... And it's 1/72 I think! Imagine 1/35?
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:57 am
by Bassman
I just remembered! I also have an Italeri 1/48 Hercules in the stash.
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:50 am
by Colin
Bassman wrote:I just remembered! I also have an Italeri 1/48 Hercules in the stash.
I used to have one of those ... Massive!
Re: Your Biggest Kit...
Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:52 pm
by schweinhund227

a Full RESIN Super Star Destroyer... 38 inches long
Vader's Ship ! for the star Trek fans...
Super big price tag and disappointment to boot !
My trash can isn't big enough to fit it... so I leave it gathering dust !
worst investment I ever made....
