Page 1 of 1

A-34 Comet colour question

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:56 pm
by PhildaFish
I'm about to embark on an old Matchbox 1:76 A-34 Comet (PK-72) and I have a question for the collective genius that is ISM:
The instructions state a two tone camouflage pattern of HP.4 British Army Deep Bronze Green and HB.2 Dark Earth (which is Humbrol 75 & 29) but in all the pictures I've found of Comets they all seem to be plain green of varying shades, even the Matchbox box art!
So what do you guys think? Plain bronze green or with the dark earth camo pattern? I do like brown n green camo on my aircraft but I wouldn't like to be completely out of touch with historical accuracy... :crazy: Has anyone seen a two tone tank? Or even better, got a picture that I can work from?

Re: A-34 Comet colour question

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:19 am
by Gav0909
I would just paint it Bronze Green personally.

I have just had a look for pics of Comets in camo and other than models, can't find any pics of real Comets in camo.

You can see from these pics that these ones are just a single colour, and if you look at the fenders there is quite a bit of glare, showing the finish to be quite satin.

Image
Image
Image

Hope that helps! Some people seem to paint their late war British tanks in an olive green, but I think the darker and slightly satin Bronze Green seen in that last pic was closer to the real colour, albeit under a coat of dust, dirt and grime it might appear lighter and more matt. As with all WW2 tanks there would be a "standard", but not every vehicle would remain painted at that standard all the time. Giving you, the modeller, some free range in paint colours.

Re: A-34 Comet colour question

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:54 am
by PhildaFish
Fantastic help Gav, thanks. I'd spent so long staring at the colours and looking hard at black & white photos to see if there was any two tone going on that I hadn't spotted the satin finish!