Page 1 of 1
OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:08 pm
by UKscalemodeller
I like the odd/rare/querky builds, here is my first of 2014
It is a dapol (old airfix tool) kit, I have posted the inbox/bag here [youtube]uW7-w8CYRwY[/youtube]
it goes together quickly and really well considering the age of the tool
here is the start of some of the sub assemblies, the footplate and boiler
IMG_2996.jpg
Tender and tender wheels
IMG_2997.jpg
a little filler
IMG_2998.jpg
Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:10 pm
by UKscalemodeller
coming together nicely
IMG_2999.jpg
now for the mystery of the pistons, they are designed to be moveable but I glued them just in case.
IMG_3001.jpg
so the building is finished, not sure if I will add these guys or not.
IMG_3002.jpg
Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:23 am
by UKscalemodeller
I am using the good old hairy stick on this one and I had forgotten how good it feels to 'do it old school'
Primed, and here is my choice of yellow
IMG_3058.jpg
and after two coats, I am happy with it
IMG_3059.jpg
Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:16 am
by Paul
Looks a great little kit, look forward to seeing it progress

Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:10 pm
by RobertA
A little gem, indeed!! But I don't envy you the paintwork..
Will follow this (well, I am already, on facebook) with keen interest as I have the kit myself, the Dapol version! The Airfix originals cost a small fortune now, I think.. Makes for something a bit unusual, yet very interesting..

Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:17 pm
by JayCub
I remember reading about this many moons ago when i was young(er) so im interested and i know the the finish will be a real gem.
Tom
Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:37 pm
by UKscalemodeller
I got some more done on this tonight,
Here is the black done
IMG_3064.jpg
I did it free hand and I guess my hands are not as steady as they once were
Anyway on with the pipework and rods
IMG_3065.jpg
It needs a few touch ups where I have missed a few black areas and over painted but I think it is almost ready for a wash or two.
Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:50 pm
by Paul
I like the anti gravity effect you've done to this Ian lol
Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:54 pm
by UKscalemodeller
Well it was groundbreaking at the time
Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:52 pm
by RobertA
Now I need to go find my own kit of the same... but I have a feeling it is put inside the box of another model for protection, so goodness knows where it is. And even if I found it I am not sure I can get going on it straight away, have some other things I want to do first.. have decided to dedicate 2014 mainly to the larger scales, if I haven't told you that already..

Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:18 pm
by DC87
Looks great, such an iconic piece of engineering.
Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:00 am
by UKscalemodeller
RobertA wrote:Now I need to go find my own kit of the same... but I have a feeling it is put inside the box of another model for protection, so goodness knows where it is. And even if I found it I am not sure I can get going on it straight away, have some other things I want to do first.. have decided to dedicate 2014 mainly to the larger scales, if I haven't told you that already..

how big are you going?
Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:03 am
by Bissyboat
That Rocket rocks. Good job!

Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:22 pm
by RobertA
UKscalemodeller wrote:RobertA wrote:Now I need to go find my own kit of the same... but I have a feeling it is put inside the box of another model for protection, so goodness knows where it is. And even if I found it I am not sure I can get going on it straight away, have some other things I want to do first.. have decided to dedicate 2014 mainly to the larger scales, if I haven't told you that already..

how big are you going?
1/48 aircraft and 1/35 armour.. nothing bigger than that..

I'm sure I'll still fit in plenty of 1/72 stuff as well..

Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:23 am
by UKscalemodeller
So, I wanted to crack on with this to clear the bench as it were.
It got an oil wash to pick out the details
IMG_20140109_002440.jpg
And now on with some coal dust, smoke stains and general grime (a work in progress)
IMG_20140109_002714.jpg
Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:32 am
by DC87
Nice oil wash Ian, can't wait to see it covered in soot.
Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:00 am
by Trainboy153
That's great, I will soon buy a dapol kit or two.

Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:58 am
by RobertA
Just don't sneeze... whatever you do!!!
That sure looks the works..

One of the best renditions of this kit I have seen, online or in the 'flesh'! I'll send you mine and you can build it for me, as I'll never get it looking that good..
'nuff said!

Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:01 pm
by UKscalemodeller
RobertA wrote:Just don't sneeze... whatever you do!!!

Lol
RobertA wrote:
That sure looks the works..

One of the best renditions of this kit I have seen, online or in the 'flesh'! I'll send you mine and you can build it for me, as I'll never get it looking that good..
'nuff said!

Do not be so modest Mr A, remember you were my inspiration to get back into modeling.
Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:30 pm
by RobertA
UKscalemodeller wrote:RobertA wrote:Just don't sneeze... whatever you do!!!

Lol
RobertA wrote:
That sure looks the works..

One of the best renditions of this kit I have seen, online or in the 'flesh'! I'll send you mine and you can build it for me, as I'll never get it looking that good..
'nuff said!

Do not be so modest Mr A, remember you were my inspiration to get back into modeling.
Well, most people that I inspire tend to pass me on the way, and surpass me when it comes to their models.. Just look at Gary 'MakingModelsAgain'.. Just like you, he also credits me for the inspiration to start building again, and see where he is now..
And you, Sir, are no exemption..

Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:52 am
by UKscalemodeller
RobertA wrote:
Well, most people that I inspire tend to pass me on the way, and surpass me when it comes to their models.. Just look at Gary 'MakingModelsAgain'.. Just like you, he also credits me for the inspiration to start building again, and see where he is now..
And you, Sir, are no exemption..


Re: OO/HO Dapol Stephenson's rocket
Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:00 pm
by RobertA
UKscalemodeller wrote:RobertA wrote:
Well, most people that I inspire tend to pass me on the way, and surpass me when it comes to their models.. Just look at Gary 'MakingModelsAgain'.. Just like you, he also credits me for the inspiration to start building again, and see where he is now..
And you, Sir, are no exemption..


Just stating the facts..
