Page 1 of 1

Tamiya 1/35 Challenger 2

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:39 am
by garywintin
Hello All and all hello ...

Well, as if I haven't been posting too much finished stuffs lately, here comes yet another from me ( and I'm sorry to spam you again ).
To be honest, I finished this since early December but this baby was meant to enter a stupid contest and they have this one stupid rule that we cannot let anyone see nor post anything about our entry on any social network so I couldn't blog the wip nor the finished model until the end of the official date.

I couldn't decide if I should put on the anti-slip or not and after doing much research, I noticed that the anti-slip texture on the Challey is not that rough and I didn't want to risk doing over-scaled texture on my model so I opted out of doing it ( I was even going to buy a Citadel texture spray can for this ).

As every one know, the colour of the Challey2 is something that is very hard to describe and narrow down ( akin to the IDF armour colour) so I really had no idea how to go about painting it at first. I finally decide to play with high light and shadow since this is a monotone vehicle so I used Desert Yellow, Dark Yellow and Buff and mix them up accordingly to play around with the shade.

I wanted to show my Challey as a very used up and banged up fighting on the harsh desert and one side of the turret more scratched up due to the intense battles.

As much as I really love how this came out, I am very unhappy of my impatience (I guess my impatience is my bane ) that leads to some of the badly done chips as evident from the photo ( not that bad far away but really bad close up). I am seriously pissed off at myself to realizing too late that I should have give the figures a wash to bring out the myriad of details on the uniforms. Another late realization is that I painted the little sight on top of the barrel all too wrong.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Well, that's about as much I can sum up about the build. More informations and more photos ( many more) can be found on my blog -
http://modeller-innovation.blogspot.co. ... ger-2.html
Please do have a look and thank you so much in advance for any feedback you guys may have.

Until the next launch .

Re: Tamiya 1/35 Challenger 2

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:07 am
by wappynutter
Very nice Challenger Gary... :th: :th: :th:
Good luck in the competition..
Until the next one.... :thumb1:
:cheers2:

Re: Tamiya 1/35 Challenger 2

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:18 am
by ROBOPAUL
Like it a lot. I have one of these in my stash. Hope I can do as good a job.

Re: Tamiya 1/35 Challenger 2

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:36 pm
by DC87
Really like this Challenger Gary, certainly isn't a showroom tank with the weathering which is great :clap:

Re: Tamiya 1/35 Challenger 2

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:52 pm
by Coen
You've certainly captured the war weariness in the weathering Gary.
Top work again buddy!!
Nicely done.

Re: Tamiya 1/35 Challenger 2

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:22 pm
by garywintin
wappynutter wrote:Very nice Challenger Gary... :th: :th: :th:
Good luck in the competition..
Until the next one.... :thumb1:
:cheers2:
Thanks brother ... not really hoping to win as I'm sure this is not a show wining model .. .but I am so proud of this
ROBOPAUL wrote:Like it a lot. I have one of these in my stash. Hope I can do as good a job.
Oh I'm sure you can man ... I'm nothing but an amateur ..
DC87 wrote:Really like this Challenger Gary, certainly isn't a showroom tank with the weathering which is great :clap:
Thanks man .. I have yet to build a show room tank ... I have plan to but just can't manage to bring myself to build a clean one
Coen wrote:You've certainly captured the war weariness in the weathering Gary.
Top work again buddy!!
Nicely done.
Thank you so much Michael ... capturing war weariness on modern machine is just tough

Re: Tamiya 1/35 Challenger 2

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:32 pm
by HWGuderian23
Great work on the Challenger Gary ... very well done :th:!