Page 1 of 1

sugestions for varnish

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:24 pm
by Wayne
Hi all I am looking for some help please.

I will be putting a color coat on my car in the coming weeks and what i would like to know is whats the best gloss clear coat i can use. I cant use alclad as i have no way of venting the vaper. I am looking for something that i can use on tamiya and vallejo that will not react to either of them.

Thanks Wayne.

Re: sugestions for varnish

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:34 pm
by Paul
Either brush paint john sons clear, or use a tamiya ts17 spray, the best gloss coats you can get are unfortunately smelly paints

Re: sugestions for varnish

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:04 pm
by Wayne
I will have to go with Alclad then. Only problem i have now is on emodels i cant see the gloss in there range they have semi matt but i need the shiny stuff :)

Cant you point me the right way please oh ye of the model gods :)

Thanks wayne.

Re: sugestions for varnish

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:06 pm
by Paul
Wayne wrote:I will have to go with Alclad then. Only problem i have now is on emodels i cant see the gloss in there range they have semi matt but i need the shiny stuff :)

Cant you point me the right way please oh ye of the model gods :)

Thanks wayne.
IMHO the tamiya rattle can is much better, gives a much better gloss finish and you could just spray it outside :thumb2:

Re: sugestions for varnish

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:40 pm
by Wayne
Thanks bud :)

Re: sugestions for varnish

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:50 pm
by UKscalemodeller
You could try Vallejo.

Re: sugestions for varnish

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:09 am
by Wayne
Is it good?

Re: sugestions for varnish

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:13 am
by Paul
Wayne wrote:Is it good?
In my past use its adequate for glossing say for decaling, but for the deep shine needed for a car body no

Re: sugestions for varnish

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:28 am
by Wayne
Thanks bud :)

Re: sugestions for varnish

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:04 pm
by arss
Hi,

For cars I use "Motip Carat clear high gloss varnish" is spary can but I decant and apply with airbrush.

Re: sugestions for varnish

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:27 pm
by JonMW
The best clear by far is Zero Paints 2-k clear. Problem is it's not too good to breath in, not too smelly but not healthy. Tamiya rattle can TS-13 (not TS-17) is good and gives a nice shine. But it can melt decals if you put on a bit too thick coat, this is the case for most rattle cans as well as Zero paints 1-k clear. So you need to put on a lot of really thin coats before you can put down the final coat. I have heard that the Mr Hobby rattle can is a lot easier on decals and gives similar result to the Tamiya but I haven't tried it.

But the best is 2-k clear as it doesn't dry it hardens. So it gives a really hard finish that can be polished easily, is scratch resistant and doesn't harm decals. But it's really not good to breath in.

Re: sugestions for varnish

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:00 pm
by Wayne
Thanks for the info bud. It's something I will look into. Thanks to all for the feed back it helps a lot :)

Re: sugestions for varnish

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:23 am
by ModelStudent
Paul wrote:IMHO the tamiya rattle can is much better, gives a much better gloss finish and you could just spray it outside :thumb2:
"You know that rattle in a can of spray paint? It's made from a kid's tooth...." - Bart scaring kids outside of the dentist office. :mrgreen:

Re: sugestions for varnish

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:48 am
by Paul
ModelStudent wrote:
Paul wrote:IMHO the tamiya rattle can is much better, gives a much better gloss finish and you could just spray it outside :thumb2:
"You know that rattle in a can of spray paint? It's made from a kid's tooth...." - Bart scaring kids outside of the dentist office. :mrgreen:
Ha ha :mrgreen:

Re: sugestions for varnish

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:35 pm
by schweinhund227
You didn't mention if you were using Tamiya Acrylics ? I assumed Vallejo paint line-up is all acrylics ? so no need to confirm that one
but Tamiya still produce Enamel paints... Been a while since I last saw a bottle but I am pretty sure they are still available in other parts of the world !

Try to get the The Alclad II 4oz Aqua Gloss Klear Kote Varnish or Future (Klear) Although the the bottle is labled "Alclad II Enamels" which is their Brand Name.... that particular product is Acrylic... as you may already know...! and is believed to behave similarly to FUTURE (Klear)
Anything "Hotter" than that... like Enamels or Lacquers coats would risk damaging your Hard work... under certain circumstances.

Tamiya Rattle Cans are by Far the Best gig in town but its an Enamel based clear coats!
Instant Gratification in a can ! Hard to beat that high gloss shine but Test before use !
you never know ?

Happy Modeling !

Let us know what you picked up and How were the results...

You take care !

Re: sugestions for varnish

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:57 pm
by grimjim
Humbrol Clear (in the glass bottle) works well. As far as I can tell, it's the same stuff as Klear /Future, but it's a lot easier to find. It doesn't smell too bad, and it airbrushes well.