Page 1 of 1
What's your first build??
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:53 pm
by EasyEight96
This question suddenly popped out of my head when I was starring at my first build that was the Matchbox 1/72 JU-188 that was given by my dad. So I'm curious to know what's yours??
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:17 pm
by SteveW
My first was the old 1/72 Airfix Harrier which my dad helped me with. My first build I done on my own I think was either the Airfix Kittyhawk or a Frog Italian job (cant remember the name but it looked good)
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:18 pm
by oAPEXo
My first build was a Titanic model with my dad. That is when I was still a young buck. The model I have waiting for me back home is a 1/32 Me 109. Go big or go home. Should be a nice challenge seeing it is my first model with getting back into modelling.
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:04 pm
by Stonkmer
My first build was a 1/72 English Electric Lightning (Two seater) of the Royal Saudi Air Force.
It was many, many years ago now (I was about 5) and did it with my dad.. Used the old Humbrol Cement Tubes to build it and did not paint it...
Seems like yesterday and was great fun!!
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:27 pm
by davidowers
my firs model was a SR71 blackbird which my granddad got me when I was 9 I thing, and me and my granddad build it but I cant remember what make it was.
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:28 pm
by Raptor
First ever build was one of the apollo rockets with my dad when I was very young
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:42 pm
by Paul
My first ever kit was when i must have been about 8 years old, it was an old matchbox kit of a yellow raf rescue hell (i cant remember the exact heli now) i started making it with my dad, sadly he left the glue lid off and it went all over the part build model ruining it. Man i would give anything to build that with him again.
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:07 pm
by MakingModelsAgain
This little beauty, with my dad back in the very early 70s!!! Eegads! I remember the little square bottles of Airfix paint we used and my insistence on referring to the instructions as the 'map'!
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:09 pm
by SuperDryBeef
tamiya 1/48 Jagdtiger
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:22 pm
by Trainboy153
Airfix 1/76 battle of britain airfield gift set. Painted in 2011, assembled in october 2013.got into modelling that november.

Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:30 pm
by 5Craven
I am pretty sure that it was the 1/72 Matchbox Hawker Fury I. I can't remember exactly when I built it but it was a pretty new kit back then as Matchbox had only just started making kits. My local post office stocked a good selection of them at pocket money prices and seemed to get regular supplies of new releases when they came out.
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:37 pm
by JohnP
Academy's 1/72 F-15C Eagle - My cousin went out to buy something for me to do on a boring summer day during my stay in Korea. That was when the madness began.

Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:56 pm
by Russ72
1/72 Matchbox Focke Wulf, when I was 9 or 10. Never painted it, because I thought i'd ruin it.
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:01 pm
by LTmodelmaking
My first model was a Revell 1/72 F-4F Phantom. Many cuts were had...
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:47 pm
by Daishi12
Mine was the Airfix Spitfire MkIX when I was about 5 with my dad.
Airfix-72-Scale-Code-No-81-Spitfire-IX-1967-71_700_600_3UVHZ.jpg
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:09 pm
by Rodney
My Very first kit was a 1:16 Trans Am/Firebird Me and my dad put together.. A black one with the Big gold eagle that I screwed up cause I couldn't wait for help to it put on.

That got to be 28/30 years ago now.. Wish I still had it and a few other to look back at now
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:36 am
by EasyEight96
Wow nice stories guys ya I do to wish I can go back to the old times..
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:20 am
by fly1ngdutchm4n
My first model ever I can't remember.
When I was a kid I used to build 1:24 revel and Tamiya planes like the F16 and I had a big box with the blue angels.
I build them, played with them, and when they were to much damaged, I put some cotton in the exhaust and put them on fire.
Mayday! Mayday! Going down!

My parents didn't like that part though...
But when I was picking up this hobby again 4 jrs ago, I made this one:
A 1:35 German flakpanzer... Now I think I could of done the build and weathering a lot better, but I'll keep this model in my display cabinet as first build.

Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:19 am
by jbank
My first was back in 63 or 64. A Hawk AU-1 Corsair. I paid for it with money from deposits from returning empty soda bottles. 6 bottles at 3 cents apiece. Models truly were pocket money then. I think the glue as another 10 cents and I must have used half the tube on that Corsair.
Fun times.
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:32 am
by Wayne
Mine was when i was 11 it was a red arrow from airfix got it for xmas. I built it with my dad. Sadly i had it only 3 days and my mum stood on it lol my own fault for playing with it. I keep telling my self to get a new one and do it again.
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:18 pm
by PugmooG
I think my first (that I remember!) was an Aurora Prehistoric model Kit, swamp scene with a triceratops sinking in a tar pit! Very early seventies. Or that may have been a Ray Harryhausen movie I watched

Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:41 pm
by ScaleModelling1105
Mine was the very classic old tooling of the airfix 1:72 spitfire mk.1 still have it on display (at the back) so I see how my skills have progressed from the very start.
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:57 pm
by Ash89
Mine is what im working on now, 1/72 zero.
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:08 pm
by ChrisSteadman
1965, aged 6, Airfix 1/72 Spitfire helped by my step dad. We put one of the stabilizers on backwards but spotted it in time before the cement had set.
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:46 pm
by Panzermeister36
Tamiya's ye olde Panzer II Ausf. F/G that many of us built for the Holy Toledo Panzer II GB. Great beginner kit

Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:45 pm
by JonMW
My first was a 1/72 Revell Red Arrow that I build with my dad when I was around 6 or 7 years old. At least that was the first plastic model, I also did a Cessna balsa wood plane with my dad about a year earlier. The red arrow is still in a box in the attic but missing some parts, I have been thinking of getting a new and build it so I can have them on display next to each other.
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:08 pm
by Dunhill2005
My first Kit was a Stuka from Revell in 1/72. I never painted it. But I tried to let it fly. Went wrong...
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:26 am
by ModelStudent
These are wonderful stories of kids getting introduced to the hobby by their dads. However, I didn't have that experience. I have been into history for most of my life in one form or the other, but I felt like I was missing something simple about it: the machines. So in the Christmas of 2012, I looked into getting a Tiger tank to give to my brother that loves everything WW2, but most of what I found needed to be put together.

So I skipped on it, until I began to talk to a buddy that used to build models. He got me interested by how you could customize, weather etc and so at the end of July last year I picked up Revell's 1:48 scale BF-109G10. Even with a slight rattle because I messed up one part, I was hooked.

Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:05 pm
by DC10
the airfix 1/144 scale boeing 737 in the air new zealand livery
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:45 pm
by DustyCrophopper
This is my first build.it's a Revell me 109 1/72 starter kit.
I've just started my second build which is the airfix ME109 1/48, the one Paul did the techniques videos on,great vids by the way,really inspiring.
Really enjoying my new hobby,hope I can get half as good has some of you guys

Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:51 pm
by HistoryRider
My VERY first build was with my dad, a Revell 1/535 USS Missouri! My very first solo build was a Lindbergh 1/72 P-47D "Razorback"
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:26 pm
by localjedi
I built some model planes when I was a kid, but I can't remember which ones and the results were rather nasty looking. Then in 2012 a friend of mine gave me the Revell (formerly Matchbox) Jagdpanther in 1/76 scale. For me that was definitely an excellent kit to start with. It has a reasonable number of parts, almost "falls" together and has a nice little dio-base you display it on. Highly recommended for beginners.

As my first 1/35 scale kit I built the Tamiya Panzer II. Again highly recommended.
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:13 am
by Pinchydoesmodels
Mine was an airfix 1/72 harrier gr3 old tool about two or three years ago when i was 10 (im not even going to put a picture up as its awful) my models have got better since
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:04 pm
by thechildmodeller
My first model was an Airfix 1/76 tiger 1 that I built with my dad about 4/5 years ago
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:32 pm
by ThomasBrown
Mine was a Monogram 1/48 ME109. That was 1977 and I got it for my eighth birthday. I actually found and bought the same kit on EBay a couple of months ago. Plan to build it later this year.
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:00 pm
by Paips
My first build was a car ,1962 corvette stingray I remember getting it for my birthday.
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:27 pm
by Corkmyster9436
Mine was a Matchbox 1/72 scale British Lancaster Bomber when I was 9 or 10 years old that I had received for my birthday.
Re: What's your first build??
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:06 pm
by UKscalemodeller
1/72 Airfix Blenheim is the first I can remember.