Page 1 of 2

Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:27 pm
by Joesdad
My very first group build will be....

Image

I realise there's quite a few Lancs being built, but this kit was a pressie from my Mum (bless her).
Quite a bit of plastic here...

Image

Colour call out. Revell are annoying aren't they, with their mixing of colours...

Image

...not to mention the confusing instructions...

Image

Here's the scheme I'll have a bash at, and there-in lies the main problem, for me anyway. The undersides are (obviously) black, and keeping it interesting is going to be a major challenge :eeek:

Image

Sprue shots

Image

Image

Image

Image

Clear stuff, not bad actullay...

Image

Image

Lets have a look at some detail...

Image

Image

Image

Image

A bit flashy in places...

Image

Lets get to work...

Image

Filler required...

Image

Here, I've glued some plastic together...

Image

...and here too..

Image

All-in-all not a bad kit really, I'm going commando, sorry, out of the box on the Lanc. I'm worrying about that black too much without worrying about damn PE flying around as well.
That's about all for now lads, thanx for looking.

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster Mk1/111

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:34 pm
by Daishi12
Looking good mate, Revell have some weird ideas with their kits - the awful colour call-outs coupled with the lovely recessed panel lines then they go straight to the highly visible ejector pin marks.... it's enough to send you doo-laley :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster Mk1/111

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:57 pm
by Joesdad
Daishi12 wrote:Looking good mate, Revell have some weird ideas with their kits - the awful colour call-outs coupled with the lovely recessed panel lines then they go straight to the highly visible ejector pin marks.... it's enough to send you doo-laley :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: indeed Dai..

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:04 am
by eoinfinnegan
I'll look forward to checking out your build,

If you haven't built this kit before ( you may already know) but revell don't mention in the instructions to fit the windscreen de-icer nozells, they are on the sprue.
I over looked them on my Lancaster and found out about them when I was finished :x

Good luck with the build

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:19 am
by cib2265
That looks like a great kit and an interesting build!

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:54 pm
by Joesdad
Er...no Eion haven't seen them, any chance of a bit more info mate.
Yeah cib it's just got a bit more interesting with all these missing bits...

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:03 pm
by Joesdad
Ok.. Looking at the clear gear I've decided to purchase a Eduard mask set :think:.
I hope Eion's bombshell doesn't throw a spanner in the works.... :scratch::

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:24 pm
by eoinfinnegan
I think iv got the box in the stash with the sprue tree's still in it, I'll check the part numbers later when i get home

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:24 pm
by eoinfinnegan
The one box I needed and it had to be up in the attic, any way the parts your looking for are parts number 126 which are located on the sprues with the propellers, it's one one each sprue and they are bloody small, if you still don't have any shoot me a PM with your address and il send you mine, I won't ever use them

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:37 pm
by Joesdad
:cheers2: Eion

Image

:eeek: tiny
You're a star would've missed by a mile....

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:05 pm
by eoinfinnegan
Great stuff, now you see how I missed them.

Glad you found them, good luck with the build :thumb2:

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:56 pm
by Joesdad
Not much of update boys and girls.... Had a bit of a 'mare tonight, blocked airbrush driving me mad, but managed a bit of priming...

Image

...and a bit more...

Image

As you might be able to see the primer used is the AK grey primer. Very nice if I didn't keep on drying in me airbrush. To be honest i shouldn't have rushed it....(Proberly)...
Patience dear boy!!!
Anyway, hope to get some colour down soon.
Thanx for looking..

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:51 pm
by Joesdad
Ok... I've got a bit of paint down now :thumb1:
Bombs first, I used Vallejo Model Colour US Olive Drab. Sorry about the photo, doesn't come out that well...

Image

Comes up fine through an airbrush.
Next, some interiors..

Image

Image

A revelation!!
Way back at Xmas, I treated myself to Mr Hobby interior set, so it's the first time I've used any of them. Mr Hobby 364 (?) Grey Green is a lovely paint mixed down with Mr Hobby's own thinner...good coverage, colour, it just looks great..

Image

Image

These are the paints I've used upto now..
Vallejo are great brush paints and if you haven't used Citadel before try their silvers and washes, good.

Image

That's it for now.
Thanx for looking as always....

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:19 pm
by chrismoseley
Fantastic Work Tim Looks Good So Far... I Built One Of These When I First Started Build Model Kits A Few Months Back And I Found Very Few Issues :) Good Look Cant Wait To See Further Progress :th:

Alex

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:18 pm
by Joesdad
Thanx Alex. I'll be buttoning up the main parts soon so we'll see, but don't envision many issues. Going to be honest mate, but she ain't my best work, I've been doing 1:48 scale recently and dropping back down to 1:72 has really knocked my eyes for six!
I really appreciate the feedback Alex... :thumb1:

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:11 am
by T3hGuppy
The interior is looking great dude.

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:26 pm
by Joesdad
Thanx Gup..


Let the masking commence :eeek:

Image

:crazy:

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:36 pm
by Joesdad
Still masking!

Image

:dance:

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:42 pm
by HistoryRider
Good looking work so far! thanks for showing the Paints Used!

:th: :pop:

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:27 pm
by Joesdad
HistoryRider wrote:Good looking work so far! thanks for showing the Paints Used!

:th: :pop:

My pleasure mate...

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:07 am
by Yellowlazer101
Great start on the cockpit, looking good so far. :thumb2:

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:00 pm
by Joesdad
Cheers Baz..

Updates!
A bit of progress has been made :thumb1:

Image

My lad is having a bit of a sleep-over so can't do too much, but...

Image

...finely starting to look like something. Won't see in there for a while.

Only bit of filler used (upto now)

Image

Shinny..

Image

Advice needed chaps, not sure whether too attach wings now or after painting, thoughts?

Image

Image

She's a big bird....!

Image

That's all for now guys, let me know about them there wings...
Thanx for looking.

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:48 am
by T3hGuppy
Nice progress dude.

As for the wings. Its going to be personal preference really though will be easier to fit and fill the wings now rather than after all the painting is done.

Though as you say she is pretty big.

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:24 pm
by Joesdad
T3hGuppy wrote:Nice progress dude.

As for the wings. Its going to be personal preference really though will be easier to fit and fill the wings now rather than after all the painting is done.

Though as you say she is pretty big.


Guppy mate, a dry fit would suggest minimal filling, in fact hardly used any....
I'm leaning toward wings on as might be an easier option all round...

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:49 pm
by Joesdad
The kit has the option of removing the engine panels, so I thought "that's me, I'll do that", but when it came to it decided not to (bottled it)...

Image

Air intakes (?) drilled out...

Image

Ive got to say that there has been no fit issues at all, only when sticking on the engine nacelles have i had to sort out any gaps. Here I've used Perfect Plastic putty thinned down with water and brushed in, left to dry and then cleaned up with a wetted cotton bud..

Image

Wings on..

Image

Image

Next proberly will be glass and turrets and then...... It's..... Prime Time!
Thanx for looking... :thumb1:

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:10 pm
by eoinfinnegan
Your doing a very nice job, I left the wings off mine and they are still not glued because there such a good fit

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:28 pm
by Joesdad
Thanks Eoin, your dead right they're a great fit, defo not gonna need any filler... ;)

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:53 am
by T3hGuppy
Looking great dude.

These bombers are always very impressive. :th:

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:34 pm
by Joesdad
Ok, so it's been a little while since any progress.... It's been a beautiful day today, but I managed to get some primer down...

Image

The primer I use is AK's grey stuff. It was quite warm when I was spraying so its a bit gritty in places..

Image

Also had to get a bit camouflage dark green on before putting on the canopy (?)...

Image

Oo nearly forgot the AF loop on the shelf, doesn't mention it in the instructions but I thought I might stick one in for laugh. It's just a piece of thin wire wrapped round a cocktail stick, drilled the plastic and superglued in place. I don't think it's in the correct place though guys, but...

Image

I need to get on with the old bird this week, so hopefully more up-dates soon if your interested...
Let me know if you like it, let me know if you don't.
As ever thanx for looking....

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:06 pm
by patrickroos
Nice progress! :th:

How did the AK primer do? Did You thin it?

:cheers2:

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:39 pm
by Joesdad
patrickroos wrote:Nice progress! :th:

How did the AK primer do? Did You thin it?

:cheers2:

Thanx Patrick, na I didn't thin down mate, too be honest I don't you ought to with it being a liquid plastic (sort of). It's an awesome product dries almost straight away..

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:43 pm
by Joesdad
Now then, there's a train of thought that suggests that 1:72 aircraft are too small to take pre-shading, but I think the Lanc can take it..

Image

No, I haven't been drinking, it's just my dodgy shading..

Image

I've also done underneath as well, even though its going to be black/dark grey, just to see if it makes any difference..

Image

My paint of choice (at moment), Lifecolor..

Image

Tell you what lets get on with a bit of camouflage. First up, Lifecolor UA537 Dark Earth..

Image

Image

Er.. Not looking great is she? Hope it turns out ok.
Anyway, thanx for looking guys, see you soon..

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:07 pm
by Joesdad
Updates...
Camo work, using the old 'white tac' wriggly worm technique. Back in the old days, before all his airbrush tomfoolery,all you used do lay down one colour and then brush over the top, easy, none of this masking stuff...

Image

Lifecolor UA538 Dark Green is the paint used

Image

Work in progress :?

Image

.... Trouble is, not really sure these shades aren't strictly correct. Quite a bit. Methinks.

Image

More...

Image

Up close...

Image

These panel lines should be great with a wash. A bit of touching up needed though..

Image

On a roll now...
Time for masking for the main event..

Image

I do use, as many of us do, Tamiya tape for masking off, but I'm going to try ordinary masking tape from Poundland, only cost a...er... pound for 5 rolls. Only gonna use it for the donkey work tho.

Image

Can't stop...

Image

My first all black paint job..

Image

I've used Lifecolor LC02 Matt Black mixed with Lifecolor UA227 Slate Grey, throw in a bit Vallejo neutral grey and there you go. Don't get me wrong, I haven't meticulously worked out the mix, I've just thrown it all together. Maybe it shows.....

Image

I hope my dodgy photos show that there's a couple of panels here and there that are of a lighter shade, these are supposed to represent replacement panels. Might add some darker ones as well, what do you think?

Image

Again might need a bit of a touch up...
Sorry for the grainy snaps, all done on me iPhone.
Well.... Thats all for now campers, please let me know where I'm going wrong..
Thanx for looking..
:cheers2:

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:25 pm
by T3hGuppy
You have been busy dude.

Great stuff. :th:

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:03 pm
by Joesdad
T3hGuppy wrote:You have been busy dude.

Great stuff. :th:


Cheers Guppers, done a bit more since will post tomorrow, can't now...drinking :cheers2:

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:46 pm
by patrickroos
Nice work and great progress!! :th:

Colors...hmm You know WWII "colors"...they look fine. Darker? Lighter? Newly painted, or worn, torn battlewagon.
Artistic license!
It looks good, and love the under side, I see You have made random panels in different shades, nice! :thumb2:
Painting a good and realistic black is very very hard. Since on a model its not black, then its way to black.
I Think Your "mix" looks absolutely fine for scale effect, and the panels liven it up and brings realism and depth.

:cheers2:

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:55 am
by Joesdad
patrickroos wrote:Nice work and great progress!! :th:

Colors...hmm You know WWII "colors"...they look fine. Darker? Lighter? Newly painted, or worn, torn battlewagon.
Artistic license!
It looks good, and love the under side, I see You have made random panels in different shades, nice! :thumb2:
Painting a good and realistic black is very very hard. Since on a model its not black, then its way to black.
I Think Your "mix" looks absolutely fine for scale effect, and the panels liven it up and brings realism and depth.

:cheers2:

Cheers Patrick, it's always nice to know if you're doing something right(ish). It is surprising tricky to get black right, I've try to explain to She Who Must Obeyed, but she tells me to stop being weird :?

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:38 pm
by Joesdad
Updates..
I've tried my first panel shading, as you do, I think you can pick it up in the pic's. I just added a dot of white to the main colour and away I went, I didn't do every panel as I didn't want to over do it, but I guess I could have and it would of turned out fine. New technique's are good...

Image

Now, lets have a look at the other wing... Actullay had a bit of trouble with the wing tips and tailplanes. Being yellow I used Lifecolor UA042 Chrome Yellow but after coat after coat I got fed up and used Vallejo 70.915 Deep Yellow, much better. Going off Lifecolor...

Image

Tailplane...

Image

Tailplane No.2. Watch out! Mid-upper got you in his sights....

Image

Majority of the painting is done, and Klear has been sprayed on..

Image

Next job is decaling :eeek:
See you next time chaps
Thanx for looking

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:47 pm
by HistoryRider
Looks great! Can't want to see it all finished!!!

:th: :th:

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:04 pm
by Joesdad
HistoryRider wrote:Looks great! Can't want to see it all finished!!!

:th: :th:

Cheers Rider, can't wait 'till is over too :D

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:44 pm
by patrickroos
looking good!!!

When spraying light colors, especially yellow, Always prime with White first.
Then the yellow will cover much better/faster.
If You want the pre shading to work through the yellow, mask of and spray in this case the wing tips in White first.
Then pre shade tips, then spray them yellow.
Otherwize you can do it in post shading, as in first spray yellow as you did, then lighten with White/grey etc, to bleach panels.
Then darken (for yellow dark Brown is nice), and spray the panel lines etc.
Post shading, were talking like an 80-20 ratio thinner-paint. This way its quite safe and you can slowly build up the post shading.
(and low psi)

Its looking very good and this will be a Beauty after decals and wash are on.... :th:

:cheers2:

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:36 am
by Joesdad
Thanx Patrick, this is the sort of information that I need :banana:
You know I might have a go at that mate.... post shading :eeek: :eeek: I suppose it'll be ok to over spray a Klear coat?
Thanx Pat again.

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:11 pm
by Joesdad
Decals at the ready....
For me decaling is a bit of a double-edged sword, certainly not my favourite jobby but a major milestone none-the-less.

Image

I use (like many others) Micro Set and Micro Sol for settling the decals down, works well, it really sucks the decal right into any panel lines/features...

Image

Image

Bugger! Silvering, not sure how to go about this, I'll add a bit more Micro and see how we get on..

Image

You can see how the Micro has pulled down this rounded into the panel lines here...

Image

That's all for now
Thanx for looking

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:47 pm
by eoinfinnegan
It's a petty about the silvering, you should try using tamiya extra thin on them, just touch it on and leave it DONT drag it around, it works for me

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:25 pm
by Joesdad
eoinfinnegan wrote:It's a petty about the silvering, you should try using tamiya extra thin on them, just touch it on and leave it DONT drag it around, it works for me

Eion mate no Extra Thin here, do you reckon Mr Cement would do? I got them de-icers on by the way.... :thumb1:

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 am
by DBMiller
Nice work here! The more I see of this plane built up nice the more I want one for myself. :thumb2:

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:10 am
by eoinfinnegan
Joesdad wrote:
eoinfinnegan wrote:It's a petty about the silvering, you should try using tamiya extra thin on them, just touch it on and leave it DONT drag it around, it works for me

Eion mate no Extra Thin here, do you reckon Mr Cement would do? I got them de-icers on by the way.... :thumb1:
Cool mate :thumb2: Ive never used mr.cement but you could try it on a small part out of the way that won't be seen like under the wing. Just remember to just touch it on and not to smudge it

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:56 am
by Joesdad
Get one Db, the kit goes together really well, she is quite large tho, so putting her somewhere might be an issue.... :think:


Roger that Eion, you're right of course, I try it and will report back... Over and out. :shifty:

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:08 am
by Joesdad
Experiment time.....
Decal silvering is yuck, so from a recommend from eionfinnigen, I going to apply Mr Cement to them (he did suggest Extra Thin)

Image

Here we go.... :eeek:

Image

After...

Image

Worked out ok, yeah, pleased with that.
Thanx to Eion

Re: Revell 1:72 Avro Lancaster MkI/III

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:44 pm
by T3hGuppy
Nice one dude.

That silvering really toned down with the cement. :th: