Page 1 of 1

1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambusters

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:04 pm
by Filmman586
Attempting my 1st plane in a very, very, long time...Wish me luck! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:50 pm
by Filmman586
Question for you guys? This is my first plane since I was a kid, and its much different than doing cars. How do I approach this build? Question is, how do I approach the gluing, priming and painting. For the wings, the underneath of the flaps gets paint, but that's the only area. Do I prime the area, then glue, then paint? I have such little bench time lately with work and all, I want to try and avoid any mistakes that I can. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:31 am
by Filmman586
Back on the bench after a small delay!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:47 am
by darrengreenwood
Lou good progress so far. But that box on a stick behind the pilot is not needed as that's for the H2S radar. And the Type 464 Provisioning wasn't equipped with it.

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:08 am
by Filmman586
Thank You!

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:55 pm
by darrengreenwood
You're most welcome Lou!

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:02 pm
by AchtungPanzer
Good start. Keep it up - nice model to work mate :th:

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:24 pm
by Filmman586
More progress this week!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:37 am
by Filmman586
More work done on the Lancaster this weekend!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:18 pm
by UKguyInUSA
Great work so far mate! I love the Lancaster and loved building my B.II new tooling version by Airfix, earlier this year. Such a beautiful looking plane with four gorgeous sounding engines! :) :thumb1: :thumb1:

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:21 pm
by cib2265
Wow - looks great!

Its a big bird in 1/72 scale isnt it? :D

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:12 am
by Filmman586
Thanks UK!

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:54 pm
by Filmman586
Parts almost all primed and getting ready for pre-shading and paint!

Image

Image

Image

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:04 am
by SyntaxModels
Looks great mate for a return to aircraft after doing cars! Would you recommend the kit? I'm compiling a list of kits I'd like for christmas and a Lanc if it is any good is highly likely to make its way onto it :) .

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:12 pm
by Filmman586
I would, goes together very nice if you take your time! This was a Christmas gift last year!

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:59 pm
by Filmman586
Finished pre-shading and the first coats on! Not bad for my first time!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:54 am
by SyntaxModels
Looks good mate, can't wait to see this bird all finished up!

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:43 pm
by Filmman586
Thanks! Hoping to finish it up by the end of next week or so!

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:01 pm
by martin57
looking good , its good to have a change now and again , good luck with the rest of the build :thumb1:

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:05 pm
by Filmman586
:thumb1: Thanks!

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:05 pm
by Yevgeny
You doing a tidy job here. Looking good :th:

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:28 pm
by UKguyInUSA
Cool....almost a completed paint job. Looking forward to seeing the reveal on this one now :) :thumb1:

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:28 pm
by Filmman586
Had some time today to start the masking for the Camo.

Image

Image

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:19 am
by UKguyInUSA
After placing all that Blu-Tack in place, I would have airbrushed my green and removed that blu-tak as quickly as possible, in fear it might leave some "grease/oil" marks that I've been hearing about on a number of occasions from other modelers. :eeek:

Hope it doesn't do that?

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:36 am
by Filmman586
Thanks UKguy for the tip. So far so good!

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:11 pm
by Nevbo
I've made this Lancaster recently, I really enjoyed it and it's my favourite build so far.

It's a big plane for a 1/72.

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:43 pm
by Filmman586
Lovin it Nevbo!

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:49 pm
by Filmman586
So I did my first camouflage. Not bad, the edges are sharp but I know how to correct them the next time. I used blue tac but didn't realize I shouldn't leave it on so long left and it left an "oil mark". So I masked with Tamiya tape cut freehand! Just waiting on my ultra matte finish to show.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:08 am
by SyntaxModels
Awesome work Lou, there is just something about the Lancaster that I think just sparks a love in it! Looking forward to the final reveal! :)

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:37 am
by Filmman586
Thanks Leo!

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:15 am
by mincemeat
This looks fantastic so far! Thank you for posting. I just purchased this kit a couple of months back and it has been added to the backlog. I still need to pick up the Eduard masks, I don't think I want to cut all those individually. I will definitely be subscribing to this string to keep an eye on it.

Just a future note on the blue tack. I have had it leave some residue when I did my Spitfire, as mentioned previously by UKguy, which was not noticeable in the final product. However, I did read somewhere that supposedly the white tack does not do that. Maybe it was somewhere on this forum? I have not yet tested it, but I have some for the next RAF aircraft camo job.

Great work! :clap:

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:26 am
by UKguyInUSA
Pity about the marks left by the blue-tak, but you can still hide them with paint and weathering, but those aside, great job mate, she'll look great once completed! :) :thumb1:

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:18 pm
by Filmman586
Okay I'm calling this one done (windows are Krystal Klear so there are still drying!) I wanted to finish before the new year and get my bench organized and cleaned up so I can join the GB's and SiG's. For my first plane in like 30 something years, not bad. I made a few mistakes that I learned from. I put the canopy on but total forgot about the upper cockpit area and forgot to paint it. Canopy was all masked and didn't see it till I unmasked it! Learned some techniques, and for a car modeler not bad. I can only get better! I love this hobby!


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:03 pm
by planemaker
Awesome work Lou! :thumb2: :thumb2: Great looking Lanc. Paintwork looks superb.

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:57 pm
by Filmman586
Thanks Sebastian! Appreciate the input!

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:53 am
by mincemeat
Awesome work on this, I can't wait to do mine now!

Re: 1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambuster

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:40 am
by SyntaxModels
Amazing Lanc, I might need to do one with my Dad while I'm up here on holiday...