Page 1 of 3

Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.6299

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:36 pm
by PaulAyrey
Have started this gem of a kit a little while ago!

Upper hull a little warped but nothing too much to worry about. The kit is great as it contains a load of photo etch, metal side skirts and an alluminium barrel. I just added the Fruil tracks for good measure.

Can't believe I had not got this kit before now but was always put off by the artwork which made me think that it was an older Dragon offering which aren't up to today's standard.

Progress so far.....

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:09 pm
by PaulAyrey
HollywoodModelling wrote:Should have waited for the Panther Sig.. But nice subject anyway!
Yeah, unfortunately l had this started before l stumbled on your SIG build, but I have a G or a Jagdpanther to choose from for that!

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:21 pm
by Paul
Yeah any dragon kit with premium on the box is gonna be an awesome kit

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:16 am
by Switcher
Coming along quite nicely. :pop:

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:38 pm
by mick
great start

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:34 am
by PaulAyrey
Thanks for the comments chaps. Hull sides now complete;

Image

Kit is going together really well with only a few niggles, whether that is the kit or fat finger syndrome, who knows?

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:13 am
by Tiger131
looking a real nice clean build so far..

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:14 pm
by Lego
I want's the bucket :)

Looks fabs.

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:38 pm
by ConnorM
I do love a good Panther.

Looks great .

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:17 pm
by moi196872
Very nice work so far. Looks great.

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:22 pm
by PaulAyrey
Lego wrote:I want's the bucket :)

Looks fabs.
Thanks for all the comments guys.

The bucket is a stock item from Plus Model which (in the UK) are available via Creative Models.

Regards

Paul

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther D, Kit No.62

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:39 am
by PaulAyrey
Engine deck now complete, the lower hull is pretty much there.

Image

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:45 am
by PaulAyrey
Now assembling the Fruil tracks. I am using fine brass rod in preference to the wire supplied with the tracks.

This is purely because I am finding that the wire is way too thin and bendy for the larger tracks such as Panthers and Tigers, but perfectly adequate for smaller types.

The rod is much sturdier for these tracks ....

Image

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:50 am
by fred29
Looking very nice so far. And lovely tracks to finish off. Looking forward to seeing this done.

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:23 pm
by PaulAyrey
One run of the tracks done, just the other side to finish and a rummage through the spares as the kit does nor supply tow cables!

Image

Just the turret to complete then time for paint - can't wait as I recently picked up AK Primer and German colours set. Never used AK paint before so will see how it compares to the ever faithful Halfords Primer and Tamiya paints?

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:25 pm
by longlance67
wonderful work Paul

super clean work and the etch and metal tracks look unreal

great stuff !


Shane

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:26 pm
by Paul
Looking good Paul :thumb2: you got to love friul tracks

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:51 am
by moi196872
Very nice work on the tracks.

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:22 pm
by Merlin
Looking superb so far, I'm watching with interest. :)

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:23 pm
by Switcher
Well done, Fruil tracks might be expensive, but they do look natural :)

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:25 pm
by Coen
I just stumbled across this build Paul and I gotta say she's a beaut buddy!
I've built this kit a couple of times and is one of my favourite Dragon kits. The addition of the Fruil tracks just makes this baby sing.
The Kursk panther D and the late panther G are my favourite panther subjects.
You're inspiring me to pick this kit up again ;)
Can't wait to see this girl with her turret on.

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:29 pm
by PaulAyrey
Thanks for all the comments on my build so far guys!

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:31 pm
by PaulAyrey
Coen wrote:I just stumbled across this build Paul and I gotta say she's a beaut buddy!
I've built this kit a couple of times and is one of my favourite Dragon kits. The addition of the Fruil tracks just makes this baby sing.
The Kursk panther D and the late panther G are my favourite panther subjects.
You're inspiring me to pick this kit up again ;)
Can't wait to see this girl with her turret on.
Thanks Coen,

Just for you here is my build so far. Just the turret to finish and then is done.

Image

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:09 am
by Coen
That's fine work bud!
Those little touches are what will set it apart.
Really well done. A clean build too!!

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:00 pm
by PaulAyrey
OK, build complete, now for some paint ......

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:02 am
by Coen
That's a beauti!
Love that tarp bud... nice touch.
I don't know if you said or not.. where did you get the cable for the tow cable? Did it come with the PE set or did you scrounge that.
It looks awesome!

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:39 pm
by CrazyMajor
That is bueatifull mate.

From this I am going to pick one up. I tip my hat of you you fine sir.

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:33 pm
by PaulAyrey
HollywoodModelling wrote:This looks awesome! A mean little kitty.... I need to build another Panther I fear... even before my sig..:D
Thanks HM, they are superb looking machines, hence l have to get on with one on a routine basis, thus this one missed out on the SIG but luckily l have a couple more in the stash!

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:41 pm
by PaulAyrey
Coen wrote:That's a beauti!
Love that tarp bud... nice touch.
I don't know if you said or not.. where did you get the cable for the tow cable? Did it come with the PE set or did you scrounge that.
It looks awesome!
Thanks Coen, tarp made from 'green stuff', and no the cable was not included.

The cable ends were procured from the spare's box, and whilst l have many left over cables from other kits l find they are too stiff and rubbish to cut as they fray. The cable is picture hanging wire from a DIY store (there are varying grades to suit most towing cables)

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:42 pm
by PaulAyrey
CrazyMajor wrote:That is bueatifull mate.

From this I am going to pick one up. I tip my hat of you you fine sir.
Thanks Rhys, glad and flattered that you have been inspired.

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:41 pm
by Nige99
Lovely build mate. Can't wait to see the paint on it now!

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:40 pm
by Raptor
Just stumbled across this. Awesome build dude, I will be keeping a close eye as I wanna see it painted.

Where did you get the tarp material from if you don't mind my asking? Looks perfect for a diorama I'm planning.

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:51 am
by PaulAyrey
Nige99 wrote:Lovely build mate. Can't wait to see the paint on it now!
Thanks so much, just got to wait for the weekend now before breaking out the airbrush!

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:54 am
by PaulAyrey
Raptor wrote:Just stumbled across this. Awesome build dude, I will be keeping a close eye as I wanna see it painted.

Where did you get the tarp material from if you don't mind my asking? Looks perfect for a diorama I'm planning.
No problem Raptor, l always use Milliput for this kind of work but happened upon Green Stuff by Games Worshop and thought l'd give it a go. It's ok but prefer Milliput.

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:25 pm
by PaulAyrey
Managed a tactical withdrawal from family life today as wife and three and one year old daughters all asleep! Broke out the airbrush and got the following done;

All parts primed using Halfords Grey Primer, tried using the AK stuff and did not like it!

Image

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:26 pm
by PaulAyrey
Model then pre-shaded using Tamiya Flat Black

Image

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:27 pm
by PaulAyrey
Base coat of AK Dunkelgelb

Image

Camo to follow .....

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:41 pm
by Raptor
Very nice, did that really only take you 1 nap time lol?

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:21 pm
by PaulAyrey
Raptor wrote:Very nice, did that really only take you 1 nap time lol?
ha ha, pretty much it did. I primed it first thing this morning to be fair, they fell asleep for about an hour and I'd say I was at it for nearly two

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:42 pm
by longlance67
lovely work mate

looking very nice

well done


Shane

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:41 am
by Coen
I really really like the look of that AK Dunkelgelb. It may be the best dark yellow that I've seen yet.
What Dunkelgelb was it, I know that AK/Ammo sells like 6 or 8 different shades of it?

She looks fantastic with that colour Paul!

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:50 pm
by PaulAyrey
Coen wrote:I really really like the look of that AK Dunkelgelb. It may be the best dark yellow that I've seen yet.
What Dunkelgelb was it, I know that AK/Ammo sells like 6 or 8 different shades of it?

She looks fantastic with that colour Paul!
Hi Coen, thanks chum.

The Dunkelgelb is from AK's 'German War Colours 1937-1944' ref. AK560. I'll be using the green from it too. The box states that it is RAL7028 Dunkelgelb initial, the individual paint reference is ak753.

Hope that helps?

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:29 pm
by Rob
Very nice work indeed! :th:

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:05 pm
by PaulAyrey
longlance67 wrote:lovely work mate

looking very nice

well done


Shane
Thanks Shane

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:06 pm
by PaulAyrey
Rob wrote:Very nice work indeed! :th:
Cheers Rob

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:23 pm
by fred29
wow. very nice. I tempted by those fruil tracks they seem so much easier than glueing all plastic the links together. Are they worth it?

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:08 pm
by PaulAyrey
fred29 wrote:wow. very nice. I tempted by those fruil tracks they seem so much easier than glueing all plastic the links together. Are they worth it?
Hi Fred, Fruil tracks are as much effort as glueing because of the small amount of clean up needed and drilling out the holes etc. But the end result is well worth it, and they are recyclable too. I have cleaned up a couple of sets from kits l grew to hate and used them again after a bath!

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:09 pm
by PaulAyrey
HollywoodModelling wrote:Awesome.. wow you make me want to build a Panther... this is such an awesome vehicle... woah... and you are doing an awesome job with it!
Thanks HM very kind of you

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:16 am
by Coen
PaulAyrey wrote:
Coen wrote:I really really like the look of that AK Dunkelgelb. It may be the best dark yellow that I've seen yet.
What Dunkelgelb was it, I know that AK/Ammo sells like 6 or 8 different shades of it?

She looks fantastic with that colour Paul!
Hi Coen, thanks chum.

The Dunkelgelb is from AK's 'German War Colours 1937-1944' ref. AK560. I'll be using the green from it too. The box states that it is RAL7028 Dunkelgelb initial, the individual paint reference is ak753.

Hope that helps?
It did Paul, thank you bud.

Re: Panther D: Dragon 1/35th Sd.Kfz.171 Panther G, Kit No.62

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:02 pm
by AchtungPanzer
In this moment Panther looks extra . I think, then will be top class model after all work with :th: