Page 1 of 1
Mosquito nightfighter questions
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:58 pm
by generalgrog
Ok guys I'm still trying to find the right combination of kit vs decals for the nightfighter build.
It seems that I find the kit I want, but then it's not available or the matching israeli decals aren't.
So I am wanting to do something Israeli in 1:48 scale(I try to keep as many aircraft models 1:48 as I can). I was thinking of doing a mosquito NF...but only can find 1 kit specifically of the variant and IAF decals and its match and it's the Airfix D.H. mosquito NF 30.
http://www.hlj.com/product/arf07111/Air
I haven's seen good reviews for that kit.
So I was wondering if the Tamiya kit NF MKXIII/NFXVII would be a good stand in?
http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/ ... 1075.shtml
I have done some research, and I am thinking the only difference between the NF:30 and the NF MK XVII is the engine and radar...but the nose, wings, canopy and fuselage are the same?
Any Mosquito experts out there help me out?
thanks!!
GG
Re: Mosquito nightfighter questions
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:15 pm
by chief5437
Nige is a big mossie fan, maybe he can help?
Re: Mosquito nightfighter questions
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:30 pm
by UKguyInUSA
GG, try communicating with Lenny, he seems to be a big "Mossie" lover. Here's his Youtube link so you can reach out to him;
https://www.youtube.com/user/modelpro72
Good luck : )
Martin
Re: Mosquito nightfighter questions
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:48 pm
by Nige201980
Ill check my reference out later and get back to you mate
Re: Mosquito nightfighter questions
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:40 pm
by generalgrog
Awesome thanks!!
I went ahead and picked up the Classic Airframes Gloster Meteor NF11/13. If I end building that kit for the SIG, I will just have to buy their meteor mrk 8 kit, use the Israeli decals from that kit and get some other decals to convert it to a historically accurate model.
If I can use the mosquito kit, there is allready a decal kit out there I can use. from Isradecals. So I would rather build the mosquito.
GG
Re: Mosquito nightfighter questions
Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:33 pm
by Nige201980
Sorry it's been a couple of days but I wanted to be sure the NF30 had a two stage engine so it had a deeper engine nacelles which had a intercooler radiator mounted on the underside fed by an additional chin intake located between the spinner and carburettor intake.
Coolant and intercooler vents were mounted on the top of the housing. It also had more sophisticated exhaust shrouds that we're not fitted to previous NF. It also had dipole antennas above and below the wing tips, plus one offset to port on the fuselage.
Those are the main differences to the NFXVII I hope it helps mate I'll see if I can find you some photos of the NF30 to help you out a bit.
Re: Mosquito nightfighter questions
Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:29 pm
by generalgrog
yeah..I'm thinking of giving up on this for now. the stars are just not aligning for me right now. I can find a kit, but not the decals(the meteor) or the decals but not the kit (mosquito).
I'll probably just end up doing an american NF.
GG
Re: Mosquito nightfighter questions
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:32 am
by chief5437
Nige201980 wrote:Sorry it's been a couple of days but I wanted to be sure the NF30 had a two stage engine so it had a deeper engine nacelles which had a intercooler radiator mounted on the underside fed by an additional chin intake located between the spinner and carburettor intake.
Coolant and intercooler vents were mounted on the top of the housing. It also had more sophisticated exhaust shrouds that we're not fitted to previous NF. It also had dipole antennas above and below the wing tips, plus one offset to port on the fuselage.
Those are the main differences to the NFXVII I hope it helps mate I'll see if I can find you some photos of the NF30 to help you out a bit.
Blimey Nige, nice info, you know your mossies!
Re: Mosquito nightfighter questions
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:55 pm
by Nige201980
chief5437 wrote:Nige201980 wrote:Sorry it's been a couple of days but I wanted to be sure the NF30 had a two stage engine so it had a deeper engine nacelles which had a intercooler radiator mounted on the underside fed by an additional chin intake located between the spinner and carburettor intake.
Coolant and intercooler vents were mounted on the top of the housing. It also had more sophisticated exhaust shrouds that we're not fitted to previous NF. It also had dipole antennas above and below the wing tips, plus one offset to port on the fuselage.
Those are the main differences to the NFXVII I hope it helps mate I'll see if I can find you some photos of the NF30 to help you out a bit.
Blimey Nige, nice info, you know your mossies!
Cheers mate but it's just my references that I have lol and I have a few.