Page 1 of 1
Tamiya ~ German half track ~ weathering
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:34 am
by Duck
This build has been put together and never finished with the lack of motivation I have been having, but due to my jaw being broke with four ribs and my little toe because me being Mr.Smart rode into a tree when I was motocross trail riding... I have picked up the project and painted it a few times, settled with German grey, then I added the relevant decals (not based on a pacific vehicle)! they fell of a few times so I added some clear coat but much was lost by then (only on one side) so to hide this, I gave it a white wash! FOR THE FIRST TIME and Im chuffed! then there was no stopping me, I made some mud texture for the FIRST TIME after watching a video on it, and didn't hold myself back on slamming it on there and it came out quite good also (in my opinion).
I rather nobody added on the fact that its historically not right with the bed rolls being on the out side and things like this, because its fun, I dont care and its going in a box after this or binned for more space, most likely it will be given away or used as something I can test on... Here we go!
The pictures dont do justice as the lighting is horrible, im working on it though!
And soon I will be trying this out
Its medical swabs or something but I will be using it as netting, I also tried out sharphie chipping on edges, it worked out great but I painted over it.
Regards
Tom
Re: Tamiya ~ German half track ~ weathering
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:55 am
by ForbesHutton
It looks good!
Spray the paint onto the gauze, if you brush it on it won't cover fully and even then it becomes stiff and brittle (been there, done that, use the T-shirt to was the car).
Take a chainsaw with you for round two with the tree.
Re: Tamiya ~ German half track ~ weathering
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:58 am
by UKguyInUSA
Great idea for the nets, looks cool, and I love the dirty muddy effect that I have no clue how you did it....I've only attempted aircraft to date.
Cheers,
Martin.
Re: Tamiya ~ German half track ~ weathering
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:15 am
by fly1ngdutchm4n
Damn that must of hurt with that tree!
Hope your ok now?
I like what you've did with the weathering and wash
The mud looks realistic! I still can't get the hang of that part, so I leave my models mud less. ..

Re: Tamiya ~ German half track ~ weathering
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:13 am
by ForbesHutton
fly1ngdutchm4n wrote:Damn that must of hurt with that tree!
Hope your ok now?
I like what you've did with the weathering and wash
The mud looks realistic! I still can't get the hang of that part, so I leave my models mud less. ..

Try baking soda and acrylic paint. Start with a little baking soda for higher up, and baking soda for thicker, heavier mud lower down. Tamiya paint seems to lighten as it dries with baking soda in it, so you may want to use a darker paint than you think. Other paints might not lighten, you have to play around a little.
Re: Tamiya ~ German half track ~ weathering
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:40 am
by Duck
fly1ngdutchm4n wrote:Damn that must of hurt with that tree!
Hope your ok now?
I like what you've did with the weathering and wash
The mud looks realistic! I still can't get the hang of that part, so I leave my models mud less. ..

Im fine and dandy now thank you, just sore...
And for the mud it was just mud, wood glue and water, only need little bits of both, don't drown the mud as I found out! then mixy mixy untill it becomes a paste, get a stiff brush or al only one about the size of a 1/35 puddle slash and do some physics testing with an airbrush and TAMIYA's brown and do the mud guards and stuff, I work on a small holding so I have a vague idea on where the mud goes but being 15 I got carried away with the new formula and put too mush on... oh well! Thank you for your reply you
Regards Tom!
Thanks everyone for the replies, gives me a real extra boost to weather my kind tiger... or finish it! I was going to do a build thread but I had one of those moments where I 'couldn't' be arsed to take photos so I just pit it together, first time have used milput and zimmerit tools and it worked out of, but I want to build threads on things people haven't don't, like the utility trucks, don't see them about and I want to try Maurder 3, being a favourite of mine, also I want to start to make a 1/72 armoury just for a little past treat and make a chess board and play, chess tanks!
And I will have a round to with that tree, or put a orange strip on it so people dont smash into it like I did..
Also thank you UKguyinUSA, I did a fighter bomber a while back, I've finished put all progress stopped when I was having trouble masking the back of it...
Re: Tamiya ~ German half track ~ weathering
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:25 am
by Coen
That's not as bad as you think Duck, you nailed that mud dude. It's damn near perfect.
The white wash too, excellent work. A bit more weathering on it and they would look really cool.
I wouldn't use a sharpie to do the chipping if it were me, the colours aren't all that great in those things and the ink that's in them can attack your paints. They also have a bit of bleed through. You can do the chipping in the white wash with some of the dark grey base coat and a tiny brush or a sponge.
Those rolls will look really cool once you paint them up a bit and add a nice dark wash.
You did really well on this, it will be interesting to see what you do next with it. Experimental pieces can be a lot of fun, especially when they look cool in the end.
Re: Tamiya ~ German half track ~ weathering
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:31 am
by Donkeywalloper
Glad your on the way to recovery. Best wishes from Mr & Mrs Donkeywalloper
Like the Medical swab (hope it's not from your injuries).
I'm tossing up the Tea-Bag idea with Tea leaves or this....
Decisions

Re: Tamiya ~ German half track ~ weathering
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:01 am
by Duck
Coen wrote:That's not as bad as you think Duck, you nailed that mud dude. It's damn near perfect.
The white wash too, excellent work. A bit more weathering on it and they would look really cool.
I wouldn't use a sharpie to do the chipping if it were me, the colours aren't all that great in those things and the ink that's in them can attack your paints. They also have a bit of bleed through. You can do the chipping in the white wash with some of the dark grey base coat and a tiny brush or a sponge.
Those rolls will look really cool once you paint them up a bit and add a nice dark wash.
You did really well on this, it will be interesting to see what you do next with it. Experimental pieces can be a lot of fun, especially when they look cool in the end.
Thanks very much Coen, And I wont use the sharpie in future, im looking at tutorials now

I really want to try a Sherman or another German tank which isn't in the brand of Tamiya and expand on my arsenal of just German vehicles, I like the look of a locus, but due to money issues it will be a while till then...
Donkeywalloper wrote:Glad your on the way to recovery. Best wishes from Mr & Mrs Donkeywalloper
Like the Medical swab (hope it's not from your injuries).
I'm tossing up the Tea-Bag idea with Tea leaves or this....
Decisions

Thank you Mr and Mrs Donkeywalloper, I'm getting much better and it works fine, they frial because they are just woven sting/thread so I am going to sow it to a boarder!
Re: Tamiya ~ German half track ~ weathering
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:16 pm
by Rodney
Looks nice and I really like how the mud came out where did u find the vid on the mud?? Like to see it and try it myself..
Re: Tamiya ~ German half track ~ weathering
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:19 pm
by MikeyKb
Duck wrote:Coen wrote:That's not as bad as you think Duck, you nailed that mud dude. It's damn near perfect.
The white wash too, excellent work. A bit more weathering on it and they would look really cool.
I wouldn't use a sharpie to do the chipping if it were me, the colours aren't all that great in those things and the ink that's in them can attack your paints. They also have a bit of bleed through. You can do the chipping in the white wash with some of the dark grey base coat and a tiny brush or a sponge.
Those rolls will look really cool once you paint them up a bit and add a nice dark wash.
You did really well on this, it will be interesting to see what you do next with it. Experimental pieces can be a lot of fun, especially when they look cool in the end.
Thanks very much Coen, And I wont use the sharpie in future, im looking at tutorials now

I really want to try a Sherman or another German tank which isn't in the brand of Tamiya and expand on my arsenal of just German vehicles, I like the look of a locus, but due to money issues it will be a while till then...
Donkeywalloper wrote:Glad your on the way to recovery. Best wishes from Mr & Mrs Donkeywalloper
Like the Medical swab (hope it's not from your injuries).
I'm tossing up the Tea-Bag idea with Tea leaves or this....
Decisions

Thank you Mr and Mrs Donkeywalloper, I'm getting much better and it works fine, they frial because they are just woven sting/thread so I am going to sow it to a boarder!
Or you can try using cheesecloth?
Re: Tamiya ~ German half track ~ weathering
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:09 pm
by longlance67
great work mate, looking good so far mate
Shane
Re: Tamiya ~ German half track ~ weathering
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:37 pm
by Nige99
Don't put your skills down Duck!! You've done a cracking job on the weathering. Well done.
Re: Tamiya ~ German half track ~ weathering + Panzer II
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:10 pm
by Duck
Nige99 wrote:Don't put your skills down Duck!! You've done a cracking job on the weathering. Well done.
Thanks everyone, this has really boosted my motivation levels, so mush so... I thought I would save my Panzer II Ausf G from the bin..
First up, I stared to melt plastic and remould my panther driver to make him look like he is chilling!
Arm looks broken..
Then I painted ANNE, the name of the tank in a white box
The camo is tan, brown ,olive green and just grime green bordered with blllaccckkk!
Re: Tamiya ~ German half track ~ weathering
Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:05 am
by ConnorM
Very nice.