Page 1 of 1

P-61B Black Widow from GWH 1/48

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:05 am
by Grug
This will be my first SiG build and the first time I have built a model from G.W.H.

When I saw this on the calendar I instantly thought of the P-61 Black Widow. Looking through the instruction and seeing all the detail on the plastic I hope to do it justice. I also picked up a book on the P-61's for reference and will share some of that also. Enjoy the pics :hi:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: P-61B Black Widow from GWH 1/48

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:47 am
by Thumboy
:jd: amazing looking kit, very jealous. I will be following with great interest :pop: one day I will find the courage to spend more than $20 on a kit :th:

Re: P-61B Black Widow from GWH 1/48

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:23 am
by Pabbi
happy to see another P-61B GWH build :thumb1:

Re: P-61B Black Widow from GWH 1/48

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:06 pm
by Grug
Here is an Army Air Corp video of the P-61 Black Widow I found on Youtube. Enjoy.

[youtube]FZxlIjQqiTk[/youtube]

Re: P-61B Black Widow from GWH 1/48

Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:17 pm
by Grug
It's been some time before I could start the model but here is where I'm at.

I got the control panel all painted and I dry brushed with silver paint to show some wear. Before I applied the decals I trimmed them with my xacto knife while they were still on the backing paper. This made the decals sit better on the panel. It was also handy GWH doubled up the decals for the panel.
Image

I'm still working on the seats but here are some pics of the cockpit.
Image

Image

Image

I also have the guns painted and in place. Since I painted all the pieces before putting them in place I had to drill out the barrel mounts so I could slide the barrel into place.

Image

Image

Once I get the seats finished and in place I will weather the cockpit some more and the guns.

Re: P-61B Black Widow from GWH 1/48

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:10 pm
by UKguyInUSA
Great start, mate! Just seeing this latest posting of yours, so apologies! You're probably almost ready to post your next update...I will be looking out for it...looks like a great kit!

Cheers, :cheers2:

Martin

Re: P-61B Black Widow from GWH 1/48

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:51 pm
by Pabbi
great start :thumb1: nice work on the instrument decals, I know its not easy :whistle:
what paint are you using on the interior ?

Re: P-61B Black Widow from GWH 1/48

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:35 am
by Grug
Pabbi wrote:great start :thumb1: nice work on the instrument decals, I know its not easy :whistle:
what paint are you using on the interior ?
Thank you.
Just like you I used the Model Master Green Zinc Chromate #4852. For the Yellow I'm using Model Master Yellow Zinc Chromate #4851. The pictures of the Green Zinc Chromate and especially the Yellow Zinc Chromate come out alot brighter then they are.
UKguyInUSA wrote:Great start, mate! Just seeing this latest posting of yours, so apologies! You're probably almost ready to post your next update...I will be looking out for it...looks like a great kit!

Cheers, :cheers2:

Martin
Thank you, I'm building it slow since I haven't built a model in years. I did get the seats done and once I get everything in place I will post them.

Re: P-61B Black Widow from GWH 1/48

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:40 pm
by patrickroos
Great start, looking good! :th:

:cheers2:

Re: P-61B Black Widow from GWH 1/48

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:21 am
by Grug
I know I'm not going to finish in time but here are more pics of my progress.

Here are some of the cockpit before putting it all together.
Image

Image

Image

Re: P-61B Black Widow from GWH 1/48

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:33 am
by Grug
Here is the radar that I don't get to put in due to the amount of weight you need in the nose of the aircraft. It would have been nice if the instruction told you how much weight is needed.

Image

I lost the photos of the weight in the nose but I ended up needing about 3oz.

Here is the engine with the cowling off. I'm not going to glue the cowlings on so I can show the engine off when I want.

Image

Never having used PE before I have I think I did ok.

Here is she is ready for priming.

Image

I have her all primed and drying now. I hope to paint her tomorrow or this weekend. Once I'm done I will post finishing photos. I wish I had more time to finish on time oh well the next build I try hopefully work and home wont interfere as much.

Re: P-61B Black Widow from GWH 1/48

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:17 pm
by UKguyInUSA
Coming together nicely now and some nice details within that kit; the radial engine and the cockpit look fabulous! :)

:thumb1: :thumb1:

Re: P-61B Black Widow from GWH 1/48

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:22 am
by Grug
I finally finished and learned what I need to work on and what not to do. Since it is a good size model I use Rustoleum Primer which worked nice until I applied the Mr. Color Flat Black to it. I'm not sure if there was a reaction to the primer or if it was the Mr. Hobby Thinner. So I ended up stripping the paint away the best I could and cleaned it up the best I could. Then I repainted it using Tamiya Flat Black from a spray can which worked fairly well. The decals went on fairly well I'm not totally happy with the results. Next time I'm going to gloss coat the model before decaling like I have seen most modeler’s do. Other than that I think I did fairly well with the kit since the last kit I built was 30 years ago. Enjoy the pics.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: P-61B Black Widow from GWH 1/48

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:05 am
by UKguyInUSA
Beautiful job mate, looks like you did a nice job of masking the clear parts, your canopy frames look nice and crisp :) :thumb1: :thumb1: :clap: :clap:

Re: P-61B Black Widow from GWH 1/48

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:49 pm
by Filmman586
Great detail work!