Raised panel line question

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
Hillbilly
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:15 pm
Location: Missouri,USA

Raised panel line question

Post by Hillbilly »

I am starting my transition to the military side of modeling from the auto side and have picked up a few cheap kits(1:72 Monogram F-82g,1:48 Revell P-51 and a 1:48 Revell Mil-24D) to get my feet wet without ruining a high-dollar Tamiya kit.They all have raised panel lines and as these kits are going to be used as painting test subjects I don't want to go through the trouble to sand the panel lines down and re-scribe them.My question is, will they look ok if I pre-shade the raised panel lines with my airbrush?Or is there another way to handle the raised panel lines without re-scribing.Thanks. :cheers2:
Steve

Make something idiot proof and someone will come along and make a better idiot.
SteveW
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 432
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:57 pm
Location: Maldon, Essex
Great Britain

Re: Raised panel line question

Post by SteveW »

Hi Hillbilly

I was watching a video build yesterday where the same question came up. His solution was to use a standard knife ie stanley, Irwin something like that and to gently rescribe the line. what this does is push the plastic back up and give the raised effect. I haven'y tried it myself but will give it a go at some point.
User avatar
Gav0909
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2927
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Raised panel line question

Post by Gav0909 »

Pre-shading will work on raised details too.
User avatar
Hillbilly
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:15 pm
Location: Missouri,USA

Re: Raised panel line question

Post by Hillbilly »

Thanks Gav,that's what I was wondering about.
Steve

Make something idiot proof and someone will come along and make a better idiot.
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Raised panel line question

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Hello Hillbilly,

I made the P-51 D Mustang by Revell in the "Big Beautiful Doll" colors and at this present time, I'm building my second one in the second option "Miss Marilyn II.

In answer to our question; Yes, you can pre-shade your raised panel lines and rivet details and have the same effect as recessed lines....check out my video build on my Youtube account to see the results for your self!

Here's the link to the build:

Good luck,

Cheers,
Martin
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
User avatar
Hillbilly
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:15 pm
Location: Missouri,USA

Re: Raised panel line question

Post by Hillbilly »

Nice build UKguy! I will go ahead and pre-shade like the kit had recessed panel lines.Like I said this build will be a test-bed to build up my military modelling "chops".
Steve

Make something idiot proof and someone will come along and make a better idiot.
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Raised panel line question

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Hillbilly wrote:Nice build UKguy! I will go ahead and pre-shade like the kit had recessed panel lines.Like I said this build will be a test-bed to build up my military modelling "chops".
Hillbilly,

One other thing that you can do to highlight the raised panel lines and rivets, and it is what I have done on this second P-51D model I am presently making, is:

After pre-shading and painting, you can use a fine 2000 grit sand paper and lightly buff over the raised areas...it removes the top coat of paint and leaves the pre-shaded color beneath. I'm almost done with my build and I estimate that I'll b posting a video on Thursday.

Cheers, :cheers2:

Martin
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”