After market metal parts and paints

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
NAMBiohazard
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:21 pm
Location: Windhoek, Namibia

After market metal parts and paints

Post by NAMBiohazard »

Hi to all

I was wonder what is the best way to prepare PE parts and metal barrels for paint.
Cause no matter what I do mine keeps flaking before I even finish the kit :wall:
The only aftermarket parts that seems to hold paint is metal tracks :scratch::
Keep the glue on the Sprue

Bjorn
User avatar
rsrdevon
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:05 pm
Location: Janesville,Wisconsin

Re: After market metal parts and paints

Post by rsrdevon »

Im kinda new to pe and metal parts myself. But ive seen guys like coen just lightly sand their metal parts to get the paint to stick better. Also do you use primer? Sorry im not much help but I thought I'd try
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: After market metal parts and paints

Post by trekfanj »

I like using metal barrels for my tanks, and I usually rub it down lightly with 2000 grit sandpaper(dry) to give it a rough texture for the paint to stick to. For PE I do the same, but you have to be careful around raised details. And finally, I use a gray primer to cover the entire model.

Hope this helped at least a little bit.
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
User avatar
NAMBiohazard
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:21 pm
Location: Windhoek, Namibia

Re: After market metal parts and paints

Post by NAMBiohazard »

Hi guys

Thx for the responses
I use for metal part usually Humbrol No.1 (primer)

But will try out the sanding as I usually just wash the model after construction with alcohol.
Keep the glue on the Sprue

Bjorn
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”