Kit suggestions for a returning modeller....

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
Mallish
Private
Private
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 4:00 pm
Location: Northumberland
Great Britain

Kit suggestions for a returning modeller....

Post by Mallish »

Hi Guys

I introduced myself on here a little while ago and now I am seeking advice from the combined wisdom of International Scale Modeller.

I have been looking for a first kit to get the modelling fingers back and things have changed so much in the last 30 years!!!!

I was thinking of an aircraft kit with a reasonable amount of detail (to test my dexterity and eyesight), initially 1/72, although perhaps 1/48 may be better if my skills have been eroded over time. I would like an interesting colour/decal scheme and something that will be challenging but not so advanced that I give up!

Not much to ask is it?

Back in the day I made WW2 fighters and bombers along with the new fast jets (they were then..) like Phantoms.....

Any thoughts, suggestions and ideas would be more than welcome

Looking forward to hearing from you

Thanks in advance
Craig
Neils
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:24 pm

Re: Kit suggestions for a returning modeller....

Post by Neils »

Airfix's 1:48 ME-109 (kit #A05120 )It's a really nice, easy fit kit and the benefit of it is, is that there's a step by step guide on the forums so you can just follow along and brush up on rusty skills.

It's also nice as you get to practice hard edge masking camouflage and free hand mottling on the same kit :)

User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Kit suggestions for a returning modeller....

Post by Lee »

I'd say anything Tamiya is always good - Apart from their 1/48 Harrier :th:
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
User avatar
T3hGuppy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3467
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:20 pm
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Kit suggestions for a returning modeller....

Post by T3hGuppy »

Hobbyboss do some great kits.

Their range is pretty exhaustive too.
On the bench

Too much to list. !!


Youtube channel:https://www.youtube.com/user/bnealuk
User avatar
schweinhund227
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Kit suggestions for a returning modeller....

Post by schweinhund227 »

Definitely Tamiya ( shake n Bake) for ease of assembly.

Aircraft.. the Real stuff, 1/48th not the Italeri re-box 1/72nd... do research before you buy!

Tanks.... all their Post 1990 are excellent ! I mean New Tooling kits not OLD re-pop from the 70's.

That will get your skills up and running again and ... then you can attack kits with larger part counts...
and more difficult assemblies !

Stay away from Bronco Models ... for now ! as they tend to be... parts intensive !

Welcome back and Happy modeling ! :cheers2: :hi:
User avatar
5Craven
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:51 pm
Location: Weymouth, Dorset, UK

Re: Kit suggestions for a returning modeller....

Post by 5Craven »

Must agree with 1/48 Tamiya aircraft, simple parts breakdown, good fit and they don't skimp on detail either. In particular check out their P-51 Mustangs and F-4U Corsairs for WW2 planes or their 1/48 F-16s for modern jets.
On the Bench

1/48 Revell SH-60B Seahawk (on hold)
1/72 Matchbox Supermarine Walrus II (Decalling)
1/48 Hasegawa Idolm@ster F-16C (Decals complete)
1/35 Hobbyboss ZSL-92 IFV (Building)
robertw
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:36 am
Location: West Virginia, USA

Re: Kit suggestions for a returning modeller....

Post by robertw »

Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog. It's a very simple kit, about 50 pieces I think. Great place to start especially considering the price. It was my first armor build.
I build bad models so you can feel good about yourself! :th:
User avatar
Thumboy
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:05 am
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Kit suggestions for a returning modeller....

Post by Thumboy »

Hi Craig, I am quite new to the hobby, only been modeling about 6 months. I have only done 1/72 scale mostly WW2 aircraft. I have found the new tool airfix perfect for by beginner skills and not too expensive. The highlights for me have been the zero, spitfire and hurricane. I am currently makinging the 1/72 mustang which is fantastic. But it's not just airfix the academy stuff is also very good value and builds up nicely I have done their hellcat and Me 163.
Good luck with whatever you choose, look forward to seeing your work soon :th:
Andrew

On the bench
User avatar
LudvigN
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 641
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:07 pm
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
Sweden

Re: Kit suggestions for a returning modeller....

Post by LudvigN »

I find the new Eduard 1/72 kits to be very nice. The fit and details are excellent. The weekend versions of the kits are pretty cheap aswell. And as previous members have stated, Airfix new toolings are excellent in 1/72. I bought the 1/72 English Electric Lightning from Airfix for a reasonable sum and the kit looks excellent. The decal/color schemes that are included also look lovely.

cheers
Ludvig :cheers2:

On the bench:
Airfix 1/72 A-4 Skyhawk
Italeri EH-101 Merlin HAS.1 (Whirlybird SIG)

Last one finished:
Bandai 1/72 A-Wing Gallery
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”