Page 1 of 1

Lozenge-camo decals

Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:31 pm
by Opapapa
Hi guys! Greetings from sunny western Finland! (yep, it's 10.30 pm and I can still see the sun in the horizon)

I'm working with Eduard 1/48 Fokker D.VII "Sieben Schwaben" -kit (Seven Swabians - I simply had to buy this kit because of the Grimm connection! :cheers2: )

I didn't find any answers with a quick search, so maybe some stupid questions but still :oops: : I've never worked with these large lozenge decals. Any of you who had built these Eduard kits: how good is the coverage with these decals? Do I need any pre-shading or base colour? I've primed the wings with mr surfacer already and added the gloss cote. Is that enough? My plan is to use oil colours to add weathring afterwards.

First I thought to try the hockey tactic dump and chase and see what's going to happen but then... I'm simply a coward. :D

Thanks,

Olli

Re: Lozenge-camo decals

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:48 pm
by chief5437
Can't help I'm afraid, but I look forward to seeing the end result. Good luck!

Re: Lozenge-camo decals

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:54 pm
by 5Craven
If it was me, (and it will be in the WWI Sig later in the year!) I would go with a light grey or white primer followed by a gloss coat before putting down the decals. You should be alright with the decals on bare plastic but personally I prefer to have a solid base underneath everything.

Re: Lozenge-camo decals

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:43 pm
by Opapapa
Thanks 5Craven! :cheers2: I have primed the wings light grey already. It's just that these decals give me the creeps! Just needed to be certain. I'll give it a go tomorrow. :eeek:

And yes, I will post some pictures when this Fokker is finished. Right now my work is killing me and I have a chance to build models only once in a week... It's quite frustrating :wall:

Olli

Re: Lozenge-camo decals

Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:03 pm
by Opapapa
The decals worked just fine and look awesome! So I was nervous for nothing. They are also cutted nicely. But without Micro Set and/or Micro Sol... (or similar solutions) not a chance! Don't even try it. So there's a little heads up for all of you who are planning to build WWI german planes with a Lozenge camo.

cheers,
Olli

Re: Lozenge-camo decals

Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:12 pm
by chief5437
Glad it worked out for you :banana: any pics? :th:

Re: Lozenge-camo decals

Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:58 pm
by Opapapa
Yeah I will soon. Didn't have a proper camera with me. :bash: (And the man cave is located miles away... :wall:)

Olli