heart broken

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
Garry
Private
Private
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:28 pm

heart broken

Post by Garry »

Hi guys I'm feeling pretty gutted at the mo , looking for a bit of inspiration and advice pls. I have had a kit sitting in my stash for about six years it's a 1/48 scale Catalina , I fell in love with this plane when I was a kid so was made up to get hold of this kit . When I looked at the kit I was even happier , lovely looking kit.I have been building and painting figures for many years and only recently got back into planes and tanks , done two planes to date .Took my time practicing my airbrush and weathering techniques ready for the day when I could do this kit justice . Made a start on my Catalina this week , built some cockpit and bits n Bob's then I cleaned up the two halves of the fuselage ( GREAT ) the I tried the two halves together my heart sank , they fit where they touch which isn't in many places .They are a million miles apart and I don't know how I'm gonna rectify it . If any of you wise ppl could've me some advice it would be much appreciated .thanks .Garry
Neils
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:24 pm

Re: heart broken

Post by Neils »

Not sure if I can practically help as I'm not great on the use of fillers and the like. When I've had such things happen in the past I've carefully test fitted and checked to see if anything is in the way of the fit and in the end resorted to using superglue, a vice and some kicker. I've then worked my way along sort of zipping the thing together as I go.

No idea if that's the optimal way of doing it, but it has worked on me in the past.

But you have my sympathies, I dread spending money on kit and it not fitting right or having some such issues. Why is it my favourite subjects are often in old kits :(

Good luck and even if it turns out bad you'll have learned something for the next one. What I do know is that there are some amazing modellers on here who can turn a sows ear into a silk purse so don't give up :)
khimbar
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: Gods Own Country. Yorkshire.

Re: heart broken

Post by khimbar »

Any chance you can put up pictures?

There's not really any modelling problem which can't be fixed with putty and plasticard.

Someone on here will be able to help, I'm sure of it.
User avatar
galileo1
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:16 am
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: heart broken

Post by galileo1 »

Try and look (online) for other builds on this aircraft and see if you can find some tips on how other tackled the same problem. I've had success finding other people's builds so I know, going in, what the pitfalls may be with the kit so that I can be prepared.

In your case, using pieces of plastic rod as supports (inside the fuselage) could help in getting things aligned. I know I've had to do this on multiple builds and, if you take your time, it always works.

And yes, pictures will definitely be better.
Rob

Image

In progress:
  • N/A
rhysloader90
Private
Private
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 4:08 pm
Location: Wales

Re: heart broken

Post by rhysloader90 »

Look on utube u can pick up loads of tips and hints on there
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”