Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post Reply
User avatar
Thomas2542
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 4:40 pm
Location: London

Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by Thomas2542 »

Decided to enter the third 1/48 spit into this GB.
Got the royal edition because it was more expensive to buy two profipacks than one royal edition?

Box
Image

Image

kit parts

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

photo etch

Image

Image

decals

Image

resin parts

Image

Probably going to be making this spit:

Spitfire MK IXc Mh779, No. 453 Squadron, Ford Airfield, June 1944.
Image
On the bench:
Too much :crazy:
User avatar
Lego
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:16 pm
Location: Ireland
Ireland

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by Lego »

Hmm you get a nice beer mug with that kit don't you. Looks like a nice build. :pop:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by Lee »

I'm severely tempted to get this box. Will see how I do with the one I'm doing for the GB....

Will watch with interest :th:
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
User avatar
Willem
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1556
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:39 pm
Location: Leicestershire, UK.
Great Britain

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by Willem »

Nice to see another Spitfire. We need to catch up with that Mustang wing. Looks like some interesting extras in the box.

Best of luck with your build mate.

:cheers2:
Will

"A thing of orchestrated hell- a terrible symphony of light and flame."

Edward R Murrow
User avatar
Rob
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1892
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:02 pm
Location: Kent, UK

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by Rob »

:pop: :th:
User avatar
Thomas2542
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 4:40 pm
Location: London

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by Thomas2542 »

Lego wrote:Hmm you get a nice beer mug with that kit don't you. Looks like a nice build. :pop:
I didn't think anyone would be interested in pictures of the mug. I will probably make one of the spits with the beer barrels under the wing after i finish. :cheers2: I would be a shame not to use them.
Ive just started on the cockpit so i should have some pics soon.
I can't believe five mustangs entered in the GB. You would think that it was a buddy build. Might have to enter the other spit to even things out :lol:
On the bench:
Too much :crazy:
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by Paul »

Great entry like lee this is one I've been wanting too
User avatar
Thomas2542
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 4:40 pm
Location: London

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by Thomas2542 »

I've started on the cockpit. Looks like a detailed cockpit. shame the engine pack is so expensive. would be nice to display the spit with the engine.
Cockpit sidewalls and seat support is done. Everything fits perfectly. Anyone know if poly cement works on photo etch? mine just fell off when i used PVA. I will try agian and see if that works. I don't think that i put enough on.
Image
On the bench:
Too much :crazy:
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Another Spit....this is fast becoming a Spits and Stangs gone wild build!
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
User avatar
Willem
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1556
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:39 pm
Location: Leicestershire, UK.
Great Britain

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by Willem »

Hi mate. Your best off using CA or superglue for the photo etch. You can put a little dab on a bit of card and use a cocktail stick to apply it where you need it. If you use the thin stuff you can get a cotton bud or Q-tip and it will suck up any excess stuff.

Hope this helps. :cheers2:
Will

"A thing of orchestrated hell- a terrible symphony of light and flame."

Edward R Murrow
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by rodrant »

Great Kit this one , and for me I go for the version with the beer barrels , as I read somewhere that this was used after the D-Day landings to make fast delivery from England to the guys already in France as Beer was not a vital supply ( they said , not me :lol: ),and seems that when in the air the low temperatures will cool the precious liquid , so no need for a freezer :-)

you can read more on this

http://spitfiresite.com/2012/01/modific ... fires.html

and by the way , I'm getting a cold beer now :cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by Nige201980 »

Looks a lovely kit one to watch me thinks. Good luck with it.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
Thomas2542
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 4:40 pm
Location: London

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by Thomas2542 »

Willem wrote:Hi mate. Your best off using CA or superglue for the photo etch. You can put a little dab on a bit of card and use a cocktail stick to apply it where you need it. If you use the thin stuff you can get a cotton bud or Q-tip and it will suck up any excess stuff.

Hope this helps. :cheers2:
Thanks for the help. didn't have any superglue so i tried poly cement. seems to work ok but i hope to get some superglue soon.
Ive nearly finished the cockpit now. Everything fitted perfectly but I glued the seat on before the seatbelts so it was difficult to glue them in.

Cockpit after base coats and dry brushed with silver paint.
Image

Weathered using washes and dry brushing.
Image

PE seatbelts fixed in place.
Image

I only have to glue the cockpit walls together and then i will start to make the fuselage. I should have some more pictures soon.
On the bench:
Too much :crazy:
User avatar
fly1ngdutchm4n
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 3554
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:17 pm
Location: Hoogerheide The Netherlands
Netherlands

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by fly1ngdutchm4n »

wow... very nice kit, and great progress mate :thumb2:
Build what you love, Love what you build
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by rodrant »

Looking very good the cockpit , great work so far !
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
Thomas2542
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 4:40 pm
Location: London

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by Thomas2542 »

Thanks for all of the nice comments. I've got a few more pictures now. I haven't done too much since the last update but i hope to get more done later today.
The landing flaps are a nightmare to cut out. There are four small tabs that you don't cut out. one at either end and two in the middle. I cut two of them off at one side and one on the other. :bash: eventually i found that by putting a small amount of poly cement at the end of the blade makes it so much easier. :bow:: Even with the poly cement the opening panel on the upper surface of the wing was very difficult to cut out because of its small size. :wall: there should have been a template for that as well.
I also hollowed out the hole for the mg using course and fine sandpaper. I tried using a knife but it was impossible to get a good curve.
Ive been looking around for reference photos on the web but there are not very many to be found of this plane. Some nice recovery scenes though so i will include them.

Fuselage half's glued together and filled with super glue.
Image

Hollowed out mg holes on the wing.
Image

Panels on the upper surfaces of the wing.
Image

Landing flaps removed.
Image

left wheel wells assembled.
Image

A photograph supposedly of MH779.
Image

Mh779 getting recovered. Apparently MH779 was shot down by an American flack batterys which also hit 5/6 403 squadron spitfires.
Image

Ive also finnished some of the PE landing flaps. I've test fitted the wings and fuselage so you can see what they look like.
Image
Image

I just lost the little bit of PE that is meant to hold open the little panel on the top of the wing. :bash: :wall: Hopefully i'll find it before I finish and start to paint.
On the bench:
Too much :crazy:
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Wow....she came together fast....great job on the cockpit! :thumb1:

Looking forward to seeing the camo on her now.

Cheers, :cheers2:

Martin
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
User avatar
Thomas2542
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 4:40 pm
Location: London

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by Thomas2542 »

Thanks Martin. I've just glued the fuselage to the wing so i should have more pictures soon. I'm looking forwards to doing the camo too. I haven't done invasion stripes before so this will be interesting. Does anyone know how wide they should be?
On the bench:
Too much :crazy:
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by Paul »

Great job so far :cheers2:
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Thomas2542 wrote:Thanks Martin. I've just glued the fuselage to the wing so i should have more pictures soon. I'm looking forwards to doing the camo too. I haven't done invasion stripes before so this will be interesting. Does anyone know how wide they should be?

Hello Thomas,

Here's a wikipedia link for information about invasion stripes if you haven't already found this yourself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_stripes

Basically, I believe 18" wide stripes for fighters and 24" wide for bombers.

Cheers, :cheers2:

Martin
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by Nige201980 »

UKguyInUSA wrote:
Thomas2542 wrote:Thanks Martin. I've just glued the fuselage to the wing so i should have more pictures soon. I'm looking forwards to doing the camo too. I haven't done invasion stripes before so this will be interesting. Does anyone know how wide they should be?

Hello Thomas,

Here's a wikipedia link for information about invasion stripes if you haven't already found this yourself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_stripes

Basically, I believe 18" wide stripes for fighters and 24" wide for bombers.

Cheers, :cheers2:


Martin
Hi Thomas for single engined fighters in 1:48 they should be 9.58mm so I normally use 10mm tamiya tape for this.

I hope this helps mate.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
jbellos1
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:23 pm
Location: Scottsville, NY, USA
United States of America

Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire mk 9

Post by jbellos1 »

Looks great so far Thomas!
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”