Page 1 of 1
1/35 Tiger (Which to go for)
Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:32 pm
by Donkeywalloper
Hi all
Hope your all well and dandy this evening?
I hope this is the right area to post..so here goes
I'm looking to build a Tiger 1....soooooooooooooooooo...which maker is best?
No worries on Early or Late Type as I fancy building a few of these wonders.
I have had the Tiger Tank Manual by Michael Hayton for some time and I have seen the Tiger many years ago at the Bovington Tank Museam.
So fellow modellers (not going with 1/16 like the God Coen, but would love a go one day), which is best
Thanks you all,
John
Re: 1/35 Tiger (Which to go for)
Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:36 pm
by Paul
Tamiya will be the easiest to build, dragon the most detailed, both around the same price, the tamiya will lack some detail the dragon will be a lot more in depth build but will have a lot more extras and detail. I'd go for the dragon personally.
There's also the academy king tiger which is supposed to be good too, tim at value kits on Facebook has a good offer on those at the moment with a paint set
Re: 1/35 Tiger (Which to go for)
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:27 am
by mannloon
I have built a few Tamiya Tigers and I have a Dragon in the stash. Honestly, the Dragon ones are complicated enough that I think you better be pretty keen on the Tiger to build it. If you are, no problem. My current Tunisian Tiger build however is a Tamiya 35216 Early, and it's a very nice kit. Just avoid the old 70's Tiger kit 35056, it is THE worst kit ever for detail and accuracy.
I'm going to build the Dragon late with Zimmerit (6383) and probably the Cyber Hobby (9142) this year. The Cyber Hobby kit has some idiosyncrasies that are well documented in
Coen's review on his channel, but for the price it's a very impressive kit. The problem with those Tamiya kits is if you're in to Tigers you're going to end up wanting to replace the vinyl tracks, and possibly the barrel. For example my current Tamiya kit was $32 plus maybe $5 for shipping. I wish I'd replaced the barrel as the seem down the middle is still visible. But I bought $10 photo etch Grills and $25ish workable AFV tracks to bring it up to the standards I want. A Dragon kit woud've come with the grills and the DS tracks would be passable, otherwise Magic tracks in my opinion don't need replacing. So I end up spending more on Tamiya kits than I do on Dragon. You could pretty much buy one of those 2005 Tiger super kits with PE everything for that money.
You should probably do 1 Tamiya, and see how you feel, then do Dragon. Unless you're experienced enough to just jump straight to the Dragon kits. But the Tamiya kits can be obtained here in the states for $30, the Dragon kits run at least 50+.
Your call.
Re: 1/35 Tiger (Which to go for)
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:41 am
by rsrdevon
i have two of these Dragon Tiger I kits. I have yet to build it however. Saving it for January for The Tiger I SIG. Its the #6700 Dragon Tiger I Mid-Production W/Zimmerat. Looks like a nice kit from looking at it. Comes with D/S Tracks. So you may want aftermarket tracks or do the little trick with pins that Coen spoke of in one of his last videos to help create the track sag. This kit comes with a one piece barrel which is nice. Not alot of PE with the kit either. I thinks its only the screens over the vents. So if you arent comfortable with alot of PE this kit would be good for that for you. A little pricey right now however. SO do some shopping around to find your best price on it.

Re: 1/35 Tiger (Which to go for)
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:17 pm
by Donkeywalloper
Thank you so much for input from you all.
I think I may go Dragon.
PE holds no problems for me. New tracks and barrels and off we go.
Your all stars
John
Re: 1/35 Tiger (Which to go for)
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:46 pm
by mannloon
Rock on man. But be careful. there is something special and addictive about the Tiger 1. I am in the middle of building 1, I have 1 more and still find myself looking at them on ebay every night. I don't do that with armor.