Spraybooth, wich lighting.

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
peppie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:10 pm
Location: Boskoop Holland
Netherlands

Spraybooth, wich lighting.

Post by peppie »

I have build myself a spraybooth, and it works great.
It's something like a box with sides and a roof. Against the roof I have 2 small TL-tubes for lighting, but it's not enough.
So now I can only use it when I have enough daylight. That means, with work and all, I can only paint in the weekends.
Don't know about you guys, but that's not enough for me :D

Can you please share with me what lighting you use, maybe show me your setup. Would be great :bow::

Thanks
Peter (the desperate painter.. :violin: )
Joined this forum to become a better modell builder. Now, if I can just put away my laptop and start building..

On the Bench:

Piper PA-18-150
Ford GPA
GMC cckw 1947
Ford V3000 "Bello"
peppie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:10 pm
Location: Boskoop Holland
Netherlands

Re: Spraybooth, wich lighting.

Post by peppie »

Guess nobody uses lights in their spraybooth then :think:
Joined this forum to become a better modell builder. Now, if I can just put away my laptop and start building..

On the Bench:

Piper PA-18-150
Ford GPA
GMC cckw 1947
Ford V3000 "Bello"
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Spraybooth, wich lighting.

Post by Paul »

I use a triple tube lightcraft light
User avatar
Lego
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:16 pm
Location: Ireland
Ireland

Re: Spraybooth, wich lighting.

Post by Lego »

Most people make a homemade booth using a clear see through plastic like these:-

Image

You attach the fan at the back and so on. This way you can put lights above or at the sides without the worry of getting spray onto the light. The clearer they are the better to see through obviously.

The problem with the in-booth light is they get covered in paint or are usually crap.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
User avatar
cameron123
Private
Private
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 3:59 am
Location: Pocatello Idaho

Re: Spraybooth, wich lighting.

Post by cameron123 »

This thread reminds me I need to make a spray booth! But maybe I should get a airbrush first.. :oops:

But I have heard people use shoeboxes.. Which seems like a simple homemade alternative. And for lighting I would use something cheap.. Since it is probably going to get paint on it and will probably need replaced earlier than expected.
Always in a moment of extreme danger things can be done which were once thought impossible. -Erwin Rommel



On the bench:
1/35 Dragon Normandy Figures
Hasegawa 1/72 BF109 Finnish Airforce version

Stash:
Tamiya 1/48 ME-262 with Kettangrad
Hasegawa 1/48 FW-190A-3
User avatar
schweinhund227
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Spraybooth, wich lighting.

Post by schweinhund227 »

Lego wrote:Most people make a homemade booth using a clear see through plastic like these:-

You attach the fan at the back and so on. This way you can put lights above or at the sides without the worry of getting spray onto the light. The clearer they are the better to see through obviously.

The problem with the in-booth light is they get covered in paint or are usually crap.

I have a (similar) translucent set up and that's how I feed lighting into my Spray booth...
No need to clean the bulbs or having HEAT build up from the lamps, that would dry my paint too fast...
Good idea by the way Lego. I may convert to something similar to yours.... as mine has become a tad too small !
peppie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:10 pm
Location: Boskoop Holland
Netherlands

Re: Spraybooth, wich lighting.

Post by peppie »

Paul wrote:I use a triple tube lightcraft light
U use only light from the top then? No problems with shadows?
Looks clear in your video's though. U got special tubes in that, I heard something about daylight tubes :think:
Joined this forum to become a better modell builder. Now, if I can just put away my laptop and start building..

On the Bench:

Piper PA-18-150
Ford GPA
GMC cckw 1947
Ford V3000 "Bello"
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Spraybooth, wich lighting.

Post by Paul »

peppie wrote:
Paul wrote:I use a triple tube lightcraft light
U use only light from the top then? No problems with shadows?
Looks clear in your video's though. U got special tubes in that, I heard something about daylight tubes :think:
No they are daylight tubes, very bright, I also have no trouble with dust as my spray booth is awesome :thumb2:
peppie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:10 pm
Location: Boskoop Holland
Netherlands

Re: Spraybooth, wich lighting.

Post by peppie »

Great, thanks man. :th:
Now I know I just have to get a bigger unit with more and brigther tubes. Thought I needed side lights as well.
Going to look for one now

I also have no problems with getting paint on the lights.
I have build my own spraybooth, just using a part off my desk wich I boxed off with tho side panels and a "roof". Is about 2 feet wide and 2 feet high, so nice and roomy for the bigger kits.
I put in a unit you normally put above your kitchen stove (I don't know the English name..) with double motor, on it's side in the back. Almost hard to get the paint on the kit. :lol:

Thanks guys :clap:
Joined this forum to become a better modell builder. Now, if I can just put away my laptop and start building..

On the Bench:

Piper PA-18-150
Ford GPA
GMC cckw 1947
Ford V3000 "Bello"
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”