Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:44 pm
by Donkeywalloper
Good evening all
Cure for the blues of finishing a model is to jump straight in.
So this evening I opened the box of my Meng Vs. Kfz.617.
I have never built a Meng model but watching the reviews and builds of other Meng models they seem to be quite popular and good to build, and lets be honest anything bigger than 1/48 is going to be something
So here's the box art.
Lets have butchers inside.
Instruction book.
Well the shock for the first part of the build was to produce 7 Lifting hooks which are made of two parts, come on, I though I had finished with teeny tiny bits. Evidently not.
Anyway, watch this space.
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:00 am
by MrBildo
Everytime I see a Meng kit I think to myself, "Why don't I have one of these yet?"
Good luck with the build!
--Bill
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:44 am
by Donkeywalloper
MrBildo wrote:Everytime I see a Meng kit I think to myself, "Why don't I have one of these yet?"
Good luck with the build!
--Bill
Cheers Bill.
Never built one before, Meng that is, so we shall see how it goes.
Take care.
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:39 am
by gustavlekstal
I read about this armoured tractors in Hans von Lucks book panzer commander. Gonna be nice to see it build up. The boxart is panzergrau? and the paint schemes are in dunkelgelb?
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:09 am
by Coen
That is such a cool subject John! I've seen this kit built up twice and it seems to be a fine kit. I hope that you're in for a fun build dude.
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:28 am
by alextheblue
Hey John, glad to see you've found the best way to beat the blues and that is one mean looking beast! I'm sure you've already seen it, but there's a great vid on You Tube of this one
Best of luck, looking forward to following this one!
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:24 pm
by Donkeywalloper
gustavlekstal wrote:I read about this armoured tractors in Hans von Lucks book panzer commander. Gonna be nice to see it build up. The boxart is panzergrau? and the paint schemes are in dunkelgelb?
Gusta if you think the box-art camo schemes are confusing, the script which offers descriptions is far funnier
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:30 pm
by Donkeywalloper
Alex, Coen
The first parts of kit build are very, very small and fiddily, like handles and lifting hooks and hinges but the fit, oh the fit.
Some of the parts feel like click and play.
I even felt cheated to use TET.
I have just bought some Klein Surgical standard tweezers (Needle and Curved) from Sylmasta. Could not have come at a better time.
Will post some photos soon.
Thanks for popping by,
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:54 pm
by UKguyInUSA
An unusual looking piece of machinery....will watch close to see how this one turns out.
Cheers!
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:21 pm
by AchtungPanzer
Extra Model mate !!! I want this in 1:72
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:33 pm
by gustavlekstal
Donkeywalloper wrote:
gustavlekstal wrote:I read about this armoured tractors in Hans von Lucks book panzer commander. Gonna be nice to see it build up. The boxart is panzergrau? and the paint schemes are in dunkelgelb?
Gusta if you think the box-art camo schemes are confusing, the script which offers descriptions is far funnier
In the dangerous cat sig building a dragon from 2007!!! They use binary code.... 11110000111000 100001111100 was the upper hull....
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:46 pm
by Willem
Hi John.
That is a very weird and wonderful looking bit of kit. German ingenuity I suppose. Did they actually have guys riding this thing?!!
Will follow your progress with interest.
If you, and a few other guys on here, keep building these interesting subjects, then you might spur me into having a go at building some targets.... (sorry, armour). I've already, rashly, signed up for a Tiger build.
Best of luck for a happy and satisfying build mate.
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:34 pm
by Donkeywalloper
AchtungPanzer wrote:Extra Model mate !!! I want this in 1:72
I knew it was to big for you mate
It is going together like a dream. I dry fitted the upper and lower hull and God what a fit. Not a gap in sight.
The detail is phenomenal as well, the weld seams are really brilliant.
Take care,
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:37 pm
by Donkeywalloper
Willem wrote:Hi John.
That is a very weird and wonderful looking bit of kit. German ingenuity I suppose. Did they actually have guys riding this thing?!!
Will follow your progress with interest.
If you, and a few other guys on here, keep building these interesting subjects, then you might spur me into having a go at building some targets.... (sorry, armour). I've already, rashly, signed up for a Tiger build.
Best of luck for a happy and satisfying build mate.
Nothing rash Willem, you'll enjoy the build just get the right manufacture. I havent yet signed up but I should.....shouldnt I.
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:41 pm
by Willem
Yep. Get yourself signed up.
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:10 pm
by Donkeywalloper
Willem wrote:Yep. Get yourself signed up.
Which one is it?
Your not signed up to the 1/16 Hobby Boss Tiger are you?
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:52 am
by Unit53
Excellent, my word what a lump this is... Must admit I don't have a Meng kit in my collection yet but will at some point no doubt. Quite fancied the bulldozer god knows why though? What scheme are you going to do this one in John? Looking forward to the build and good luck!
Martin
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:24 pm
by Donkeywalloper
It is an oddity Martin.
It's more Sci-Fi than Military. Everytime I pick it up it sort of confuses me. Which is front which is back, where does Darth sit.....
It's going to be a while till I decide on its Dio. I have see some Dio's already.
I do fancy dipping for the first time in 30 years into figures to compliment. Have my eye on some Dragon infantry to enter into Dio......or R2D2 strapped to back........oh heck, this lack of sleep mucks the hell up on mind.
Have great weekend Martin.
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:40 pm
by TechHead
I like your choice of model - what an interesting one! I never even knew these beasts existed.
Can't wait to see your updates on the build.
Happy modelling.
Simon
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:55 pm
by Donkeywalloper
TechHead wrote:I like your choice of model - what an interesting one! I never even knew these beasts existed.
Can't wait to see your updates on the build.
Happy modelling.
Simon
Simon, once Nights finished and can get back into Man cave I can start position progress photos and some up-dates.
Have a good weekend,
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:46 am
by Unit53
Had a little look on google this morning to find out a little more about this beast, so big wheels are the front... I think it would look right at home next to an Imperial Walker! Wonder what folk thought coming face to face with this...
Look forward to the next update.
Martin
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:45 pm
by Donkeywalloper
Unit53 wrote:Had a little look on google this morning to find out a little more about this beast, so big wheels are the front... I think it would look right at home next to an Imperial Walker! Wonder what folk thought coming face to face with this...
Look forward to the next update.
Martin
It's so weird I am confused it has never got more press. Meng have shown real faith in the market to produce such a oddity.
Finishing work soon for a week of build on this, so hopefully should get some pictures up tomorrow.
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:10 pm
by Donkeywalloper
Good afternoon friends
To set the scene. Just finished this morning (05:00) a massive amount of 7 Nights. Over the weekend I managed per 24 hours (3 days) a whopping 3 to 2 hours sleep each day.
Got up at 12 and cleaned out all our Bunns and Fish and Guinea Pigs and been generally bazzing around house sorting jobs.
Kettle on and now sat in Man-Cave for first time in five days.
Smell of good coffee is great in nose and I have Simple Minds, New Gold Dream playing in background (well actually loud as no one is within a mile of me now).
The track is Somewhere, sometime in Summertime.
Just a minute ago playing New Gold Dream (the bass line at start mmmmh), and the hairs were up on the back of my neck with feelings of youth and memories of good times. Can you see how tired I am....
So here are a few pictures from a week ago when I started this build.
Two vents for engine fitted (Parts A14) fitted.
Lovely weld seams on this model that once washed will show up beautifully.
6 of the 10 hinges for Top Deck Inspection Panel fitted (Parts A5).
Well fiddly and need some trimming under each of the hinge on each side for the hinge to fit flush to surface.
I have my prodigious (good word) belly squashed tight to desk and hands surrounding the work so the Floor-Board Parts eating Monster can't devour springing parts.
I really need the Coen's brilliant idea of cloth attached to underside of desk....
Right, then with track moved on to Promise You a Miracle......
More fiddly hinges....
Later Gators, Love and Peace from the tired Donkeywalloper in Sunny Burton..
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:45 pm
by Donkeywalloper
Bit more work on Upper Hull.
These are the Rear Upper Panel Lugs (Not sure of correct description to be honest).
lifting Hooks or Equipment Retaining Clips. You decide. They are two part, and damn fiddly, plus blatant plug for best files on this earth.
Anyway, back to work.
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:15 pm
by Coen
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:34 pm
by Donkeywalloper
Donkeywalloper wrote:Bit more work on Upper Hull.
These are the Rear Upper Panel Lugs (Not sure of correct description to be honest).
lifting Hooks or Equipment Retaining Clips. You decide. They are two part, and damn fiddly, plus blatant plug for best files on this earth.
Anyway, back to work.
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:48 pm
by Donkeywalloper
Sorry this is a bit stop and start thread, but as I feel so crap I'm not sure when I will throw the dice in and leave for a nap.
Finished the two part Lifting Lugs (Parts A5) for the other side of the hull x 4.
These are the two part units that are so tiny and fiddly it should not be attempted by a chap on zero sleep.
Hey ho, these are now complete.
I have put my new Klein tweezers purchased from Sylmasta.com to good use, and thank God for them.
I shall attach these with Revell Contacta Professional which is needed for its increased viscosity and the great precise applicator.
Just fitted part B28 which Meng calls Cab Armour but I will call the Frontal Drivers Vision Block and Front Armour Plate.
My God the fit, quite extraordinary.
The Dry Fit was Click and Leave but did run some TET on the inside for a bit of hold and Oh, the weld detail....
Now on to parts B15 and 6 x A6 which combine to make a Upper Deck Engine Louvre covering.
Again extraordinary fit and detail. Bravo Meng
Now Mrs Donkeywalloper is back from work and deserves some attention and time from Husband who has been on another planet mentally for the last few days.
Peace and love y'all and take care,
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:51 am
by Donkeywalloper
Good morning all
Well not a bad sleep until 04:30, found Mrs Donkeywalloper wide awake with beautiful face illuminated by I-Pad glow. She is chasing down a £4500 Range oven on one of those Bid sites.
So we both had coffee in bed then the draw of the Man-Cave made me get up as she was fast asleep and tucked up in land of nod.
So on a very bright morning here in Staffordshire.
Time to crack on with the Meng VsKfz. So where have we got up to then?
Last three two part Lifting Hooks (Part A5) attached on L/H of Upper plate (thank God those little Bar Stewards are finished ).
Sorry about shadow from sun-shine.
Have fitted 1st of the Louvered Engine covers in place with its Top (Table like structure) in place. Parts B15 and A4.
And also Engine Hatches A10 & A11.
Now its a question of the same procedure on opposite side.
Yet again the fit is immense. Bravo Meng.
TET brushed and capillary action working from underside into hatch plates and leaving such a clean fix.
Headphones on this morning and listening to Depeche Mode.
Have a great day chaps,
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:34 am
by Donkeywalloper
Sorry if this is the most fragmented build and thread ever
Bit more done as wife still asleep and so build can continue unabated.
So that's the first two pages completed of build (Stages 1 to 4), which was mostly Engine Panels and Hatches and multiple Lifting Hooks and Lugs.
Also finished section % which appears to complete the Rear Upper deck and all its Engine / Inspection Panels.
So coffee time and then its on to a bit of work on the Lower Tub / Hull (Section 6).
Ciao
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:05 pm
by FishBowlMan
That's some lovely work going on there, John.
I've seen a couple of vids with people building and painting these. Odd looking beastie, probably best described as a marmite kit (which is kind of appropriate I guess, seeing as you're in Burton. )
When I first saw it, I assumed someone was building up a Warhammer vehicle. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction!
BTW, Don't apologise for sunshine in your pictures - we get to see precious little of the yellow ball as it is. Don't scare it away
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:22 pm
by rodrant
Great choice for your build , watch some YT videos on this kit , and also saw already some article in some modelling magazine some months ago , this is a very nice kit , and MENG is lauching some very nice and detail kits (armor and planes) , on this in particulary you have here a great base to do some nice build , and the possibilities of weathering it with all modelling techniques are really great . The built of the links for the wheels was the part of the videos that I saw the most 'funny' .
Grat Build so far of an unusual subject ...agree that this could be part of some Warhammer series or even some Steel Wars of the future , very , very nice kit (altough I'm more in aircrafts right now ...I'm getting to apreciate more and more all the AFV modelling )
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:39 pm
by Donkeywalloper
FishBowlMan wrote:That's some lovely work going on there, John.
I've seen a couple of vids with people building and painting these. Odd looking beastie, probably best described as a marmite kit (which is kind of appropriate I guess, seeing as you're in Burton. )
When I first saw it, I assumed someone was building up a Warhammer vehicle. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction!
BTW, Don't apologise for sunshine in your pictures - we get to see precious little of the yellow ball as it is. Don't scare it away
Cheers mate, yup not scaring sun away as your not far of in Kiddy to be getting some of this glorious weather.
As it stands at the moment without wheels on it does look slightly like a Robin Reliant, and that is the problem with a three wheelers, they invoke funny comments.
It looks ridiculous at the moment a sat on desk but at the same time it cries out for every possibility of an interesting Dio. Thanks for slipping in the Marmite comment.....
One of the best vids is on Meng website where its built and weathered beautifully. I am not though going to go with grey and fancy some camo this time.
Have a great day.
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:42 pm
by Donkeywalloper
rodrant wrote:Great choice for your build , watch some YT videos on this kit , and also saw already some article in some modelling magazine some months ago , this is a very nice kit , and MENG is lauching some very nice and detail kits (armor and planes) , on this in particulary you have here a great base to do some nice build , and the possibilities of weathering it with all modelling techniques are really great . The built of the links for the wheels was the part of the videos that I saw the most 'funny' .
Grat Build so far of an unusual subject ...agree that this could be part of some Warhammer series or even some Steel Wars of the future , very , very nice kit (altough I'm more in aircrafts right now ...I'm getting to apreciate more and more all the AFV modelling )
Cheers Antonio, Yup it was built in Military Modelling Mag and was set on a concrete base with a chap sitting reading plans of beast.
Liked that Dio a lot.
The weathering (if I get my act together) will really bring out the welds and panel lines a treat.
Have noticed a few gaps in join of side pods onto lower hull which look like a spot of filler is needed (but it is tiny the gap, and may go for Primer and see if that covers first).
Have a great day my friend,
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:42 pm
by Tiger131
looking real nice you gotta love meng kits,,,
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:17 pm
by Donkeywalloper
Tiger131 wrote:looking real nice you gotta love meng kits,,,
Getting quite a reputation these Mengs.
Like to see them try a Tiger 1 or a Sherman or even a Cromwell.
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:45 am
by Donkeywalloper
Good morning mates
Well another beautiful morning in Burton.
Here I am again sat at desk with slightly bleary eyes (not a good eye state for modelling... ). Not bad sleep and starting to get sleep state back to normal (what is normal for Shift Workers?).
Listening to The Smiths, Hatful of Hollow through headphones whilst Mrs Walloper sleeps.
Nice afternoon yesterday getting to know each other again after a week of me being on Nights.
Just being in each others company is a lovely. She is a beautiful woman and it seems at times (like us all) that work and commitments gets in front of the precious things that matter more.
Anyway, back to the bench....
I finished off Section 8 yesterday after I left you all.
This included the Front armour section (Part B11) and all of it's constituent parts, some of which were a ball ache.
Parts B7 & B6 which consisted of two tiny oblong pieces of plastic that required a tight 45 degree angle to fit were a frustrating to say the least.
You can see B7 & B6 right in the middle of photo.
Also had to bore two holes under the hull for the chains (provided) to fit through and this is part of the steering mechanism (very Tractor like..... ).
This morning I have skipped 8 Sections to go to the Turret assembly.
The 8 sections missed are all the three wheel assemblies and Tracks / Shoes. We'll come back to these later when more rest has been caught up on.
So turret assembly....
No problems with fit and yet again, loads of detail and really spectacular and crisp mouldings.
Some incredible small fiddly bits emerged at tiny hooks (Parts A9 and on the Gunners Hatch (B35, B34 & B37).
These tiny hooks mentioned have not been fitted yet as not ready for a balls-up this morning.
So for the time being, until the next time.......
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Giacomer, bloody hell did not know that.
Right luckily I used TET so should pull out......
They are in incredible tight though so this may cause problems.
Have just driven back from a long journey to see Mr Walloper Senior. Whilst driving back my mind was on the thought of reaming out the barrels to open the ends.
Thanks for heads up, but if TET will not re-melt they will be stuck in that way permanent...Bad Meng.
Thanks,
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:45 am
by Coen
Just in case you miss the PM...
You're going to lose any detail that's on the end of those barrels, but you can pull them out.
One at a time... A dab of TET top and bottom of where the barrel end is stuck in the mantlet. Wait 5-10 seconds then grasp the barrel by pinching with your fingers. Don't touch the glue.
Hold the mantlet firmly in one hand and pull the barrel straight back out of the hole... don't twist it. Just pull.
Add a bit more TET if it's being stubborn. Small amounts.
Repeat for the other side.
Take it slow and you should be able to recover those parts.
Once you get them out, wait about 20 minutes for the glue to dry then you can gently sand the parts back to shape.
Good luck with this John... patience is key.
Then go give Meng hell... and ask for replacement barrels.
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:44 pm
by Donkeywalloper
Coen
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your advice, means a great deal to a novice.
This morning my new bit of kit arrived in post, which is the light cum magnifier (Lightcraft Table Top Lamp).
This may be the best kit to have arrived in post for sometime as we both know that over 40's eyes are...well dodgy
I had a good luck at the Russian Kubinka unit this morning and blow me the photos have no barrels fitted...
The Meng build video, which I have watched countless times is built OTB as mine is.and the barrels are as per instructions, or as the Perth Review pointed out, not in correct holes
I will take your advice, at a time when calm, un pestered and ready to go.
Once again, thank you for your kindness in your PM's and answers. This is what you, and ISM is about....knowledge, friendliness and kindness to fellow man / woman.
Best regards,
John (plus Mrs Wallopers, who is going to punch me in the soft bits if I mention this once more, but is gratefull that someone helps and understands).
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:00 pm
by Donkeywalloper
Donkeywalloper wrote: Coen
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your advice, means a great deal to a novice.
This morning my new bit of kit arrived in post, which is the light cum magnifier (Lightcraft Table Top Lamp).
This may be the best kit to have arrived in post for sometime as we both know that over 40's eyes are...well dodgy
I had a good luck at the Russian Kubinka unit this morning and blow me the photos have no barrels fitted...
The Meng build video, which I have watched countless times is built OTB as mine is.and the barrels are as per instructions, or as the Perth Review pointed out, not in correct holes
I will take your advice, at a time when calm, un pestered and ready to go.
Once again, thank you for your kindness in your PM's and answers. This is what you, and ISM is about....knowledge, friendliness and kindness to fellow man / woman.
Best regards,
John (plus Mrs Wallopers, who is going to punch me in the soft bits if I mention this once more, but is gratefull that someone helps and understands).
Strong email and letter sent to Meng this morning.........
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Giacomer, bloody hell did not know that.
Right luckily I used TET so should pull out......
They are in incredible tight though so this may cause problems.
Have just driven back from a long journey to see Mr Walloper Senior. Whilst driving back my mind was on the thought of reaming out the barrels to open the ends.
Thanks for heads up, but if TET will not re-melt they will be stuck in that way permanent...Bad Meng.
Thanks,
John
Sorry, I had to warn you before.
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:04 pm
by Coen
No worries John, as long as it helped buddy.
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:54 pm
by PaulAyrey
You're doing well there, I hate when they cock up the instructions! Look forward to seeing more
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:07 pm
by Donkeywalloper
Giacometti, no worries mate. You saw what you saw and you let me know as friends and allies do.
Mengs fault.
Coen has been what Coen is, a fantastic, wonderful person. Salt of the earth and one of the best.
Paul, thanks for kind words. Gonna keep on with Model and produce a wonderful bit of work.
Lesson learnt is that, don't think instructions are Gospel.......use research, photos any anything you can find.
Thank you all,
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:16 am
by Donkeywalloper
Good morning all
Well I thought I would contact Meng regarding the problem I have had with "Factual Inaccuracies" with this model. Here is response this morning in my In-Box from Mengs Customer Service in HK. Dear John,
Thank you so much for your kind feedback.
Yes, we also noticed this mistakes before. It was caused when we were editing the instruction manual.
The designer clicked some button like “mirror effect” and made the mistake without noticing it.
We will correct it in the future.
Thank you.
If u have any questions or need any help, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Best regards,
Annie Yu
Okay
Another email has gone off this morning with pictures of my build of turret and a basic response that I need a complete sprue replacement for the Turret.
Now I don't think that is to much to ask for.
I am a firm believer that if you stay mute and moan you get no where....
Say something, you may get nothing but at least you had a go at getting a result.
I'll let you know what outcome is.
Will be this morning trimming up amazing looking track shoes for this vehicle.
Peace and love chaps,
John
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:02 am
by Coen
In my experience with kit makers... good ones will go to silly lengths to fix the simplest of issues.
I had a Cyber-Hobby Tiger I that had a cracked roof plate, I sent and email to them asking what to do about.
They asked me for my email address and home address, then said someone will contact me in 2 or 3 days.
3 weeks later, just as I was wondering what was up with them as they hadn't responded to my emails, I received a whole new kit.
I emailed them an asked why they sent that as I only needed them to send the one sprue, they said (after two weeks) that it cost the same for them to send the kit as it would the sprue. Instead of opening a box and ruining a kit, they just sent the kit.
That was 5 years ago. I don't think that they'd do that again... maybe they would.
I've also had the typical Tamiya Wall of Ignorance. I contacted them to have a hull plate in a sherman replaced as it had a short shot.
I had to send 4 emails before they finally responded. When they did they told me that the short shot was my fault.
Haha. I've never contacted Tamiya again for customer service.
Re: Meng Models 1/35 German Vs.Kfz.617 Mine Clearing Vehicle
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:19 am
by Donkeywalloper
Morning mate
Well the saga continues as I have now secured a new turret set with the kindest wishes from the lovely people at Meng HK.
However having checked the kit (I know always check your kit before you start not half way through!) I have now found that none of the track links are in the box either small or large. So will either be making a aquasteg or hoping that the lovely Meng people will sell me the bits I need. Mrs DW has looked on with her usual "why didn't you check this first darling" look at me but lets be honest in the excitement of finding this little treasure I didn't take the box apart in the shop. Lesson learnt!
Moral of this email - If it is on sale and it looks like a barging some thieving git has probably nicked a bit that is going to send you screaming up the walls when you find it is missing.