Page 1 of 1

Display Units...

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:52 pm
by Lee
I know with all these models we keep building that space really does get to be an issue. A lot of my models are in RUBs tucked away where no one can see them.

What do you use to display your models or store them?

I found these the other day and for the price they are excellent -£40 (can be lit too)....

Ikea Detolf Glass Display Cabinet

:)

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:15 pm
by AlexModelling
That IKEA shelf is exactly what i use to display my models 1/72 and 1/48 in my living room:) they are cheep and very funcional for this kind of models

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:27 pm
by Paul
When building my mancave I made sure to have a shelf all around the top to allow everything to be out on display, I also have a shelf for my favourite builds.

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:56 pm
by Lee
Trouble with that is Paul I'd have to make the wife dust them at least once a month and I don't think she'd like that....lol

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:59 pm
by Paul
Lee wrote:Trouble with that is Paul I'd have to make the wife dust them at least once a month and I don't think she'd like that....lol
You could hire a cleaner?















18 years old and blonde should do.









It could even be a women :lol:

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:57 pm
by schweinhund227
The IKEA Glass shelf is my fav.

I just wish it had more shelves...!!! I know of some guy on YT that shows how to add more
but.... I find it risky ! as he mentioned that some of his Clamps broke ! and that could lead
to a pancake effect I don't want happening in that one in particular!

Image

Those guys are one of a kind !!! thee is nothing like it on the market ! so... No mod on that puppy
till IKEA makes it better ! LOL

Norm.

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:05 pm
by Paul
Nice one norm, massive star wars fan myself, would love those speeder bikes are they kits? Was it amt that did a kit of them?

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:28 pm
by schweinhund227
Paul wrote:Nice one norm, massive star wars fan myself, would love those speeder bikes are they kits? Was it amt that did a kit of them?
The Bikes are AMT yes ! The figures are mine ! Derived from the original AMT biker but
Extensively modified ! took me 2 1/2 years to perfect them... All Resin !

This guy is my Pride and Joy !

Image

sorry for getting Out of Topic !!!

I will eventually upload all that stuff .... in a Gallery if you ever Set one up ???

Later !

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:30 pm
by Paul
Hey norm, that's one awesome biker scout, one to be proud off, wow.

Gallery wise, you could always try here http://intscalemodeller.com/viewforum.php?f=70 :shock: :D :lol:

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:32 pm
by schweinhund227
Thanks man ! Still getting used to the place !

I'll do just that then !!!


Thanks again for the Kind comment ! I'll be sure to pass it on ! LOL

Norm.

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:11 pm
by Lee
Massive Star Wars fan here too and those are just awesome Norm, truly stunning work mate :)

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:32 pm
by coladito1
this is a must for man caving........... man caving? is that even a word? ........ well it is now!! :lol:

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:50 pm
by Lee
coladito1 wrote:this is a must for man caving........... man caving? is that even a word? ........ well it is now!! :lol:
Definitely now Luis. Let's hear that on all our next vids, we'll make it a proper word....lol

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:13 am
by Bagpiper
Very impressed by both Norm's resin model and the shelves :)
Sweet price. Hope they have something similar in the USA.

Cheers
Jim

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:41 pm
by Gav0909
I currently only have a relative handful of completed models having just gotten back into the hobby around 6 months ago or so, but we are lucky to have a display cabinet thing in our living room, which has some glass fronted, shelved sections on each end, which the girlfriend has kindly allowed me to use a few shelves off for models. Some are too big though and have to sit on the top gathering dust!

When we move and I finally get to tailor my own man cave then I will ensure there is suitable display options included!

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:17 pm
by UKscalemodeller
I have nowhere to display my builds, and unless they are displayed somewhere they tend to get bashed or dusty. I have started making my own custom material lined storage boxes. Each one for a particular model. They should keep them dust free and hopefully damage proof too.

When we move to a bigger house I WILL get a cabinet.

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:01 pm
by schweinhund227
Those IKEA shelves are about 75$ a steal !

If I could get more I would! But 4 is all my room can accommodate without looking like an IKEA show room LOL !

Jisk is another source for a glass cabinet ! a IKEA rip off but none the less affordable ! Which is KEY in our hard economy times !

Later guys !

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:52 pm
by Bagpiper
Sweet. Found them in the USA as well. About $65.00. Thanks so much for posting a picture of these shelves. I would hever have thought I could get something for that price - especially out of Ikea. Now I just need to build some models to put in them (once I buy one that is) lol

Cheers
Jim

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:05 pm
by Fasolly1988
I also use the Ikea DETOLF for my collection. Right now im holding my McFarlane Military collection. I'm keeping my models inside a good quality pine tree shelf around a lot of old interesting books so any of my guest can find an interesting book and enjoy my models.

Image
Image

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:26 pm
by Lee
I think we need some close ups of those figures Fasolly :D

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:55 pm
by Fasolly1988
I can but the figures are not made by myself. Just an collectors item :)

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:36 pm
by Paul
Fasolly1988 wrote:I can but the figures are not made by myself. Just an collectors item :)
Yeah I second what lee said, lets see them they look amazing 8-)

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:51 pm
by Fasolly1988
Ok, you got it :) I'll add a video slideshow on my channel and before that I'm gonna post a link below. I hope that you'll be pleased :)

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:54 pm
by Paul
Fasolly1988 wrote:Ok, you got it :) I'll add a video slideshow on my channel and before that I'm gonna post a link below. I hope that you'll be pleased :)
Good man 8-)

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:07 am
by Fasolly1988


Here you go. I put it on my YT channel. Enjoy :)

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:41 pm
by benc123
Got to love the Ikea display cabinet. Only 40 quid. but mines now full, so another trip is needed! :thumb2:

Image
DSCF0840 by Benc123, on Flickr

Image
DSCF0841 by Benc123, on Flickr

Image
DSCF0842 by Benc123, on Flickr

Image
DSCF0843 by Benc123, on Flickr

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:45 pm
by Gav0909
Yeah they don't seem to really hold that many models lol.

I like the idea of having my models in a cabinet of some kind rather than on a shelf. For 2 reasons, first protection from being knocked onto the floor, and 2nd as it means I would have to dust them less!

Here is where most of mine are just now, but this bit of furniture belongs to the rented flat, so when we move I will need a new storage solution. The bigger models have to sit on the top gathering dust unfortuneatly.

Image

The AS90 and the Seafire sit on the shelf below that one, and my single display warhammer 40k figures and 1 scale model are on another of those shelves.

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:54 am
by Nige201980
As I build mine for my son they go on his cieling but once we finish decorating the living room we are getting a shelf unit build so should have some room in that hopefully.

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:18 pm
by WebbyNZ
I have picked up a couple of 2nd hand cabinets, 1 is in the living room and stands over 6 foot.
The cave has a smaller one about half that, it was originally designed to display sunglasses and watches in a store so has a couple of lamps already fitted.

I'd love to have detolfs for my collections but they are about NZ$260 (£130ish)
There's a couple of vids on YouTube showing how to mirror the back panel with an adhesive sheet used in mirrors (crazy I know :D )

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:30 am
by RED
$150 AUD each over here in Australia - managed to convince the wife that I needed two - again eventually once I sort a workspace in the garage out I might look at getting a third for out there as well if the funds allow
display case.jpg

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:12 am
by Paul
Nice Shaun love the pink f16 Egg plane

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:29 am
by RED
haha cheers Paul - will put together a portfolio once I get back home and post it up (theres another 2 eggs coming) :thumb1:

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:10 am
by Andy
I'm planning to build some basic shelves on the wall above my computer

Re: Display Units...

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:45 pm
by Paul
RED wrote:haha cheers Paul - will put together a portfolio once I get back home and post it up (theres another 2 eggs coming) :thumb1:

Look forward to it. I love the egg planes